Need to pick cpu

Go to solution Solved by --SID--,

You do better to pick a Ryzen 5600 and B550 motherboard.

Budget (including currency): around £700

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: triple a titles, fps games like apex and some schoolwork

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): playing at 1080p with a 120 hz monitor

I’m buying a brand new pc in about a week and I was wondering if the i3 12100f is enough to run games with say discord in the background. I’m getting an rx 6600 xt and I don’t plan to run 120fps in all games just fps games really. Not bothered really so long as it’s a smooth 60 in Elden ring, Spider-Man remastered etc. I would like to get the i3 as it is cheaper and I don’t really want to fork out the extra like £60-£70 for the i5 12400f but I can If need be. Any thoughts on whether I should stick with the i3 or save a bit more for the i5? Thanks this is my first pc build

10 minutes ago, FroakieTheGod said:

Budget (including currency): around £700

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: triple a titles, fps games like apex and some schoolwork

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): playing at 1080p with a 120 hz monitor

I’m buying a brand new pc in about a week and I was wondering if the i3 12100f is enough to run games with say discord in the background. I’m getting an rx 6600 xt and I don’t plan to run 120fps in all games just fps games really. Not bothered really so long as it’s a smooth 60 in Elden ring, Spider-Man remastered etc. I would like to get the i3 as it is cheaper and I don’t really want to fork out the extra like £60-£70 for the i5 12400f but I can If need be. Any thoughts on whether I should stick with the i3 or save a bit more for the i5? Thanks this is my first pc build

if you want some extra gaming horsepower i suggest a 5800x3d with b550 board, altho that might be overkill, personaly i have good experience with it (110-120 fps on old processor in warzone 2, 170-190 on 5800x3d) si id say itll be huge for elden ring and such, especialy with AMD S.A.M would make ur gaming even faster, fits in ur budget and will allow u to upgrade even further in the future

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

Just now, Blqckqut said:

if you want some extra gaming horsepower i suggest a 5800x3d with b550 board, altho that might be overkill, personaly i have good experience with it (110-120 fps on old processor in warzone 2, 170-190 on 5800x3d) si id say itll be huge for elden ring and such, especialy with AMD S.A.M would make ur gaming even faster, fits in ur budget and will allow u to upgrade even further in the future

Thanks I’ll take a look

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/vCG9bK

5500 + 6700xt + 32gb 3200c22

Make sure you can return the 6700xt if faulty, if you can then its completely safe to buy used

Dont worry about the useless cl metric on the rams, should come with decent d9xpf 16gbit b die for oc, though board may be a limiter as to how high itll clock since these ics can hit 5000+ for 1:1 fclk on cezanne so an ideal setup would be a dual rank 4x8 with used hma81gu6djr8n or ct8g4dfs8266.c8fe so youll only have to clock em to 4200-4400, if this is confusing asf just get those crucials and overclock later or lazy oc 4200-4400 20-25-25-25-45 1.4-1.45v and mobo auto set everything else which is better than just running stock since the 5500 has a cache deficit but very good imc

As for the cpu just set 1.35-1.4v vcore with medium/no llc and set 4.7-4.8ghz allcore

6 hours ago, --SID-- said:

You do better to pick a Ryzen 5600 and B550 motherboard.

This ^^