Gigabyte RTX 2060 no fan control

Hey,

I'm experiencing a strange issue with my Gigabyte RTX 2060. The fans can not be controlled by any software. I've tried 3rd party, Aorus Engine, MSI Afterburner and everything inbetween.

The reason why I'm desperate to control the cooling fans is because as soon as the GPU hits any kind of load, the fans ramp up to 100% and never comes back down until I restart the system.

At idle the GPU is sitting at 29-31 degrees celsius and under load (typically MW2) it's sitting at 55-65 degrees. Even with headset on it sounds like my computer is trying to fly away.

In Aorus engine none of the sliders will even move. It is detecting my GPU, but nu functions are available.

In MSI Afterburner the slider on the dashboard can be adjusted, and the GPU fan speed curve can be adjusted. But my card will not obey.

In fan control by Rem0o, it is detecting the GPU, but is greyed out so it can not be controlled.

Has anyone encountered the same issue before?

6 minutes ago, CerealKiller95 said:

The reason why I'm desperate to control the cooling fans is because as soon as the GPU hits any kind of load, the fans ramp up to 100% and never comes back down until I restart the system.

Yeah either the GPU safe mode got kicked in or the fan controller broke. There are multiple versions of RTX 2060 made by Gigabyte, which one in specific if you can identify or remember?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

23 minutes ago, CerealKiller95 said:

Hey,

I'm experiencing a strange issue with my Gigabyte RTX 2060. The fans can not be controlled by any software. I've tried 3rd party, Aorus Engine, MSI Afterburner and everything inbetween.

At idle the GPU is sitting at 29-31 degrees celsius and under load (typically MW2) it's sitting at 55-65 degrees. Even with headset on it sounds like my computer is trying to fly away.

In Aorus engine none of the sliders will even move. It is detecting my GPU, but nu functions are available.

In MSI Afterburner the slider on the dashboard can be adjusted, and the GPU fan speed curve can be adjusted. But my card will not obey.

In fan control by Rem0o, it is detecting the GPU, but is greyed out so it can not be controlled.

Has anyone encountered the same issue before?

I'd recommend finding the specific model, since there may be a firmware update for the card to resolve it. Otherwise you can do a graphics card de-shroud ghetto fan swap mod to like 92mm/120mm fans and wire them to the motherboard. A lot of motherboards will let you set fan control dictated by a x16 slot, aka GPU temp. Worst case if its set to the CPU, it'll likely do well enough or just setting it to a fixed 40% or such.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

image.png.8ed05254bf9032a3f71c82667c6c2a22.png

These are the specs. Note that I had the same problem with this graphics card in my previous system with Intel chipset.

I had the same problem with my 2080ti and a good cleaning of the cooler and new thermal paste did the trick.

Mine had a sticky dust in the Heatsink drone my forme smoking „career“.

Also, check the Hotspot temps. Mine wasn’t that hot overall, but the Hotspot temps were really toasty.

35 minutes ago, thearc said:

I had the same problem with my 2080ti and a good cleaning of the cooler and new thermal paste did the trick.

Mine had a sticky dust in the Heatsink drone my forme smoking „career“.

Also, check the Hotspot temps. Mine wasn’t that hot overall, but the Hotspot temps were really toasty.

I checked in HWInfo64. And GPU temp and hotspot temp seem to be perfectly fine.

But as you can see from the photo, the fan is reporting 0% to HWInfo, though in real life my GPU sounds like it's trying to escape.

(Sorry it is in norwegian, but you see "GPU Vifte 1" is reporting 0%)

HWInfo GPU.jpg

Edited by CerealKiller95

4 hours ago, CerealKiller95 said:

But as you can see from the photo, the fan is reporting 0% to HWInfo, though in real life my GPU sounds like it's trying to escape.

Yeah sounds like the latter to me, but id definitely try to reflash the vbios just as a sanity check or replace the pads and paste as @thearc suggests. Im not sure on how to do it on Gigabyte cards sadly.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.