GPU Starting to run a lot warmer than usual

Go to solution Solved by SmallCharlie,

I did a little digging and I think I found the culprit. It was MSI Afterburner doing weird things with my fan curves. I enabled it to run on startup last week, as I wanted to check what Jedi Survivor was doing with FPS and performance, I didn't realise the noise levels and temps went up with the usage of it. When I killed MSI Afterburner, everything went back to normal.

Just an update on the case intake fans. I use a Corsair Commander Core as the fan controller, I am not sure why it looked weird last night, but this morning, the fan curves I set up work fine again. Tested it by jumping into Destiny 2 again for 40mins or so.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it.

Edit: The Temp sensors was already set for the GPU since I am using an AIO cooler for the CPU and figured it won't help much controlling the fans based on the CPU temps.

Over the past weekend I noticed my 2070Super running a lot hotter than it used to. I didn't make much of it as I was playing the poorly optimised Jedi Survivor and thought things might just be because of that.

I did nevertheless clean the PC this past Saturday anyway by blowing dust out and brushing out hard to reach areas with my "paint" brush. I did improve slightly but it was still pretty warm.

Today, I jumped back into Destiny 2 which I pay all the time and I noticed the temps are still high and high and loud fan speeds. So I'm starting to worry a little. nothing in the setup as changed, everything is still the same. CPU doesn't seem to bat an eye.

Temps went from never over 75 to anything from 80 - 85 and the machine is very loud now. Idle temps are around 32.

I have no idea what it could be. I did rollback Nvidia drivers to see if that might be the thing, but it doesn't seem to be it. I am at a bit of a loss.

1 minute ago, Tomberry said:

f try repasting it?

I forgot to mention, the GPU is like 3.5 years old. Is that roughly when I should consider repasting? I've built a few PCs, and installed CPUs, but I've never taken a GPU apart and repasted it, so a little weary of doing that.

Oh wait, I just checked and saw it is less than 3 years old, so still under warranty. So repasting isn't an option really.

6 minutes ago, SmallCharlie said:

Oh wait, I just checked and saw it is less than 3 years old, so still under warranty. So repasting isn't an option really.

If it's just 85 it's fine. My gpu stays under 65c, mostly because it's in a well ventilated case and it's only 1 year old.

7 minutes ago, reflext said:

If it's just 85 it's fine. My gpu stays under 65c, mostly because it's in a well ventilated case and it's only 1 year old.

I don't have an issue with it running at 85. I have a concern that it suddenly went up 10 - 15 degrees when nothing in the setup and environment changed. Also keep in mind the fan RPM is up from around 2000 max to 2900,so my PC suddenly got a lot louder. To a point that it is distracting.

For reference, I have a high air flow case with 3x 140mm front intake fans, 1x 140mm rear exhaust fan and 2x top 140mm exhaust connected to a radiator for the CPU.

28 minutes ago, SmallCharlie said:

I don't have an issue with it running at 85. I have a concern that it suddenly went up 10 - 15 degrees when nothing in the setup and environment changed. Also keep in mind the fan RPM is up from around 2000 max to 2900,so my PC suddenly got a lot louder. To a point that it is distracting.

For reference, I have a high air flow case with 3x 140mm front intake fans, 1x 140mm rear exhaust fan and 2x top 140mm exhaust connected to a radiator for the CPU.

check if one of the fans is dead/not working proparly?

12 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

check if one of the fans is dead/not working proparly?

Had a quick look, logged into Destiny and loaded a mission. All the fans seem to be working fine. Temp shot up to 82 in a matter of minutes and the fans ramps up to 2800 rpm.

Something interesting I noticed was that the Case intake fans are staying relatively low and not really changing. So that might be worth investigating to see if that might be the cause and not enough air is being pulled into the case.

26 minutes ago, SmallCharlie said:

Had a quick look, logged into Destiny and loaded a mission. All the fans seem to be working fine. Temp shot up to 82 in a matter of minutes and the fans ramps up to 2800 rpm.

Something interesting I noticed was that the Case intake fans are staying relatively low and not really changing. So that might be worth investigating to see if that might be the cause and not enough air is being pulled into the case.

ok that is because they will be linked to the cpu temp. im pretty sure you can change this in bios

5 hours ago, SmallCharlie said:

Yeah haha, you might want to configure the Fan Curves for both the CPU cooler and case fans. There's reason to why your GPU overheats. Check out if it's also dusty

I did a little digging and I think I found the culprit. It was MSI Afterburner doing weird things with my fan curves. I enabled it to run on startup last week, as I wanted to check what Jedi Survivor was doing with FPS and performance, I didn't realise the noise levels and temps went up with the usage of it. When I killed MSI Afterburner, everything went back to normal.

Just an update on the case intake fans. I use a Corsair Commander Core as the fan controller, I am not sure why it looked weird last night, but this morning, the fan curves I set up work fine again. Tested it by jumping into Destiny 2 again for 40mins or so.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it.

Edit: The Temp sensors was already set for the GPU since I am using an AIO cooler for the CPU and figured it won't help much controlling the fans based on the CPU temps.