Long overdue PC Upgrade / complete Rebuild

Go to solution Solved by Leandro Fernandes,

Pretty sensible, and I believe you might be able to keep your old PSU for now. If you want to overclock, then the 850ws might be more appropriate.

Budget (including currency): ~2.400/2.500 EUR

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I want to give AI (sry for that buzzword) and RTX modding. I play mostly E-Sport games (DbD, CSGO, R6S ....) but also want to get (re)play Games with Raytracing.

Edit: Also Stalker 2 by the end of the year of course 🙂

Everything on a 1080p 144 hz Acer monitor i like. I maybe plan to upgrade to a 1440p one later

Other details:

I dont need any new peripherals (im good on that side)

Currently my Setup Contains:

CPU: i7-7700k

GPU: GTX 1080 

PSU: beQuiet Straight Power 700 Watt ATX

Cooler: : beQuiet Shadow Rock Slim

Mainboard: Asus Prime Z270

RAM: 2x 8 GB Patriot Viper 4 Elite

Case: BeQuiet Pure Base 60

So far i think for the new Setup:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

GPU: GigaByte RTX 4070 Eagle

PSU: Corsair RM850E 850 W

Cooler beQuiet Silent Loop 2 360 mm

Mainboard: TUF X670E

RAM: 2 * 16 GB DDR5 Corsair 6200 Mhz C36 

Case: Fractal Design North

As far as i found out everything should be compatabile  ("worst" bit is that the gpu has a max length of 300 mm in a Fractal Design North with a 360 mm rad) and i can get that for ~2.250€.

Im happy for every Tipp & advice u can give me.

Greetings

MrNerdversum

8 minutes ago, MrNerdversum said:

There is no point in something this powerful unless you want to seriously OC

8 minutes ago, MrNerdversum said:

No real point get a b650 unless you really need the extra PCIe

9 minutes ago, MrNerdversum said:

why get a 7900 xtx more performance for the same price unless you really want raytracing. If you want ray tracing get a used 3090 ti.

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

7 minutes ago, MrNerdversum said:

Budget (including currency): ~2.400/2.500 EUR

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I want to give AI (sry for that buzzword) and RTX modding. I play mostly E-Sport games (DbD, CSGO, R6S ....) but also want to get (re)play Games with Raytracing.

Edit: Also Stalker 2 by the end of the year of course 🙂

Everything on a 1080p 144 hz Acer monitor i like. I maybe plan to upgrade to a 1440p one later

Other details:

I dont need any new peripherals (im good on that side)

Currently my Setup Contains:

CPU: i7-7700k

GPU: GTX 1080 

PSU: beQuiet Straight Power 700 Watt ATX

Cooler: : beQuiet Shadow Rock Slim

Mainboard: Asus Prime Z270

RAM: 2x 8 GB Patriot Viper 4 Elite

Case: BeQuiet Pure Base 60

Case: Fractal Design North

As far as i found out everything should be compatabile  ("worst" bit is that the gpu has a max length of 300 mm in a Fractal Design North with a 360 mm rad) and i can get that for ~2.250€.

Im happy for every Tipp & advice u can give me.

Greetings

MrNerdversum

Honestly, this list looks pretty good. only thing i would change is to probably stay away from the 7800x3d for now. they have had some issues of burning up recently, and i dont think we have 100% knocked that out yet. adding onto that, the extra cache is really only helpful in some games, wouldnt be that much help with AI. you might like the higher clock speeds of the 7800x instead

Pretty sensible, and I believe you might be able to keep your old PSU for now. If you want to overclock, then the 850ws might be more appropriate.

3 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

why get a 7900 xtx more performance for the same price unless you really want raytracing. If you want ray tracing get a used 3090 ti.

(1) yeah its kinda too powerful but just in case for later upgrades (i hope AM5 stays for a little bit longer)
(2) yeah i want to use more PCIe's for memory
(3) 4070 because yes Raytracing and DLSS3

13 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

all good points.

I will add though that even with ray tracing the 7900 xtx seems quite competent. the XTX will cost a few hundred more than the GTX 4070 though so the 7900 XT would be more comparable there. all depends on OP's needs and pricing flexibility.

12 minutes ago, Shooterdude34 said:

Honestly, this list looks pretty good. only thing i would change is to probably stay away from the 7800x3d for now. they have had some issues of burning up recently, and i dont think we have 100% knocked that out yet. adding onto that, the extra cache is really only helpful in some games, wouldnt be that much help with AI. you might like the higher clock speeds of the 7800x instead

the consensus seems to be that EXPO profiles and people overclocking were putting voltage too high. fixes are coming out for that now though so someone buying now probably won't have any issues.

Edited by Brando212
removed last comment about 7800x3D as was thinking 7900x3D issues

6 minutes ago, Shooterdude34 said:

Since i want to start getting the hardware in one or two month maybe later im watching for good deals i hope BIOS updates are getting available 

24 minutes ago, MrNerdversum said:

B650 if you don't need the extra pcie lanes

The north is an air first case and it's not recommended putting a rad in the front as that means the case gets a lot hotter air for the gpu.

Gpu wise I'd get a 6950xt as it's a better card for the price.

If it's for ray tracing you want something else too as you can basically max out the vram already at 1440p in almost all AAA games released this year.

10 minutes ago, MrNerdversum said:

(1) yeah its kinda too powerful but just in case for later upgrades (i hope AM5 stays for a little bit longer)
(2) yeah i want to use more PCIe's for memory
(3) 4070 because yes Raytracing and DLSS3

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

B650 if you don't need the extra pcie lanes

The north is an air first case and it's not recommended putting a rad in the front as that means the case gets a lot hotter air for the gpu.

Gpu wise I'd get a 6950xt as it's a better card for the price.

If it's for ray tracing you want something else too as you can basically max out the vram already at 1440p in almost all AAA games released this year.

along the lines of this and what I said before. I'd suggest maybe gong for the non-3D variant for the CPU and put that savings towards getting a GTX 4070 Ti instead of the non-Ti variant as it'll have more VRam for better ray tracing experience since you do want that experience.

the non-3D chip will do better if you decide to overclock as well; not much wiggle room in the 3D chips.

5 minutes ago, Brando212 said:

GTX 4070 Ti instead of the non-Ti variant as it'll have more VRam for better ray tracing

They both have 12gb of vram which is exactly the issue.

19 minutes ago, MrNerdversum said:

yeah i want to use more PCIe's for memory

You mean storage? Because ram doesn't need pcie.

How many drives/how much capacity of nvme do you need? Because for mass storage sata drives are still best

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

oh you're right, not sure why I was thinking that wasn't the case. thanks for the correction on that.

I'm so out of the loop on most things GPU as I've basically given up on building a new gaming rig for myself because of the pricing market and just have a Steam Deck now 😄 

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You mean storage? Because ram doesn't need pcie.

How many drives/how much capacity of nvme do you need? Because for mass storage sata drives are still best

(1) Agree could be more RAM would be better, but also 300 Bucks more expensive (and i like the software solutions from nvidia more then from amd)
(2) two m2 are planned atm (gen 5 and 3) and a new capture card later down the line

1 minute ago, MrNerdversum said:

(1) Agree could be more RAM would be better, but also 300 Bucks more expensive (and i like the software solutions from nvidia more then from amd)
(2) two m2 are planned atm (gen 5 and 3) and a new capture card later down the line

My bad I missed the ai part then nvidia is the only option.

So I made a different build that does everything great.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/pVqrd9

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€349.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  (€56.75 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X670-P ATX AM5 Motherboard  (€245.40 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  (€124.90 @ Alza)
Video Card: Zotac GAMING Trinity GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card  (€1199.00 @ Galaxus)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case  (€120.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€155.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €2250.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-03 17:33 CEST+0200

This build will actually be able to do raytrace gaming and be a great gaming pc!

Also well in budget.

The pop air is a placeholder because the north wasn't on part picker.

I also leaned into the air cooled strength of the north with the air cooler it will be better for the system overall. That and it's like a top spec air cooler and comes VERY close to the be quiet cooler in terms of performance (3c off)

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

My bad I missed the ai part then nvidia is the only option.

So I made a different build that does everything great.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/pVqrd9

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€349.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  (€56.75 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X670-P ATX AM5 Motherboard  (€245.40 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  (€124.90 @ Alza)
Video Card: Zotac GAMING Trinity GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card  (€1199.00 @ Galaxus)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case  (€120.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€155.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €2250.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-03 17:33 CEST+0200

This build will actually be able to do raytrace gaming and be a great gaming pc!

Also well in budget.

The pop air is a placeholder because the north wasn't on part picker.

I also leaned into the air cooled strength of the north with the air cooler it will be better for the system overall. That and it's like a top spec air cooler and comes VERY close to the be quiet cooler in terms of performance (3c off)

thanks will look into that 😄

AM5 hits a ceiling at DDR5 6000.  

https://geizhals.eu/g-skill-flare-x5-schwarz-dimm-kit-32gb-f5-6000j3238f16gx2-fx5-a2816010.html 

G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 32GB (2x16GB) CL32 €115,89

https://geizhals.eu/msi-mpg-a850g-pcie5-850w-atx-3-0-a2815870.html 

MSI MPG A850G PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Modular ATX Power Supply $144.99 

https://geizhals.eu/deepcool-ak620-r-ak620-bknnmt-g-a2601827.html 

DeepCool AK620 Dual Tower CPU Cooler €68,12