MI AX3000 router had really weak signal no matter what I do

pwarrow88

So, I just recently obtained a 1-pack Mi AX3000 router. I went through the setup process, making sure to set the correct region ( Malaysia ) and set it up in AP mode. After waiting a bit it rebooted and I could see the wifi network on my phone. The issue is that this network that I can see is very weak in signal and just moving a mear 1 or 2 meters away could cause it to disconnect. I then tried going on my quest 2, to see if it was just a compatibility issue with wifi 6, going as far as to enable the compatibility setting in the router. Sadly tho, the signal issue still existed. I then moved on to trying multiple modes in the router, jumping from AP mode to router mode to whatever network relay mode is tho, for some reason it could not find any networks to connect to over the air when I try to set it up. As a last ditch effort I also tried updating the firmware however, as you might already guess, still no dice.

I am kinda out of ideas, I tested if the ethernet routing works and that functions like you would expect. The wireless part is the only thing that is broken here. I don't really know what to do and would really appreciate if anyone could chime in with some ideas. Thanks in advance as always. Oh yea, I do have another wifi 6 router that was provided by my isp acting as the main router. I doubt this is the case but could it be possible that it's causing interference with this device ? And if that's the case, is it possible for it to get so bad that even leaning my phone on the router, I still can't get a strong signal ?

41 minutes ago, pwarrow88 said:

So, I just recently obtained a 1-pack Mi AX3000 router. I went through the setup process, making sure to set the correct region ( Malaysia ) and set it up in AP mode. After waiting a bit it rebooted and I could see the wifi network on my phone. The issue is that this network that I can see is very weak in signal and just moving a mear 1 or 2 meters away could cause it to disconnect. I then tried going on my quest 2, to see if it was just a compatibility issue with wifi 6, going as far as to enable the compatibility setting in the router. Sadly tho, the signal issue still existed. I then moved on to trying multiple modes in the router, jumping from AP mode to router mode to whatever network relay mode is tho, for some reason it could not find any networks to connect to over the air when I try to set it up. As a last ditch effort I also tried updating the firmware however, as you might already guess, still no dice.

I am kinda out of ideas, I tested if the ethernet routing works and that functions like you would expect. The wireless part is the only thing that is broken here. I don't really know what to do and would really appreciate if anyone could chime in with some ideas. Thanks in advance as always. Oh yea, I do have another wifi 6 router that was provided by my isp acting as the main router. I doubt this is the case but could it be possible that it's causing interference with this device ? And if that's the case, is it possible for it to get so bad that even leaning my phone on the router, I still can't get a strong signal ?

Can you choose wifi channel on that router ?

If so, try out each channel and see if it helps.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

Can you choose wifi channel on that router ?

If so, try out each channel and see if it helps.

I tried that and sadly it din't yield any results. I even scanned the network to ensure it was broadcasting on it's own channel. : (

8 minutes ago, pwarrow88 said:

I tried that and sadly it din't yield any results. I even scanned the network to ensure it was broadcasting on it's own channel. : (

Sadly I'm not savvy enough about this kinda thing, but it's kinda weird that you get such weak signal even being that close.

Even in my cement walled & floored, kinda labyrinth shaped home filled with electronics & tall metal shelvings the signal ain't that bad, even with 5Ghz.

Maybe the router is faulty or just that weak ?  I know my friend's one out of three Mi IP camera often disconnected eventhough it's right next to an AP.

Is the signal from your ISP modem better ?

If you sus the ISP Modem interferring somehow, then try turning the wifi off on that modem, and use ethernet backhaul from the modem to your Mi router.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I would use a wifi scanner device on your phone to check the power level / signal level of the router currently. I would also try temporarily unplugging your other wifi routers to eliminate possible interference. It really shouldn't be causing this much of an issue, but eliminate everything. Does the signal level change?

It is possible one or more of the internal antennas have come loose or unplugged. All the routers I've been in the antennas have a connection to the main board somewhere. (Meaning your router could just be faulty). 

Not the best image, but one I had handy on my web server, here is a router I was modifying, you can see the antenna connections near the heatsink (as an example):

mr96001.jpg

4 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Sadly I'm not savvy enough about this kinda thing, but it's kinda weird that you get such weak signal even being that close.

Even in my cement walled & floored, kinda labyrinth shaped home filled with electronics & tall metal shelvings the signal ain't that bad, even with 5Ghz.

Maybe the router is faulty or just that weak ?  I know my friend's one out of three Mi IP camera often disconnected eventhough it's right next to an AP.

Is the signal from your ISP modem better ?

If you sus the ISP Modem interferring somehow, then try turning the wifi off on that modem, and use ethernet backhaul from the modem to your Mi router.

I think my unit is just faulty, I really am itching to open it up to see if one or all the internal antennas are lose or something. However before that, I will have to wait till like 3 am for everyone in my home to sleep before shutting down wireless. Tho, just now I tried putting my phone right up to the router in all four of the routers oreantations and directly in front of the router gave me a pretty good signal so, I think there might be some hope. 

4 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

I would use a wifi scanner device on your phone to check the power level / signal level of the router currently. I would also try temporarily unplugging your other wifi routers to eliminate possible interference. It really shouldn't be causing this much of an issue, but eliminate everything. Does the signal level change?

It is possible one or more of the internal antennas have come loose or unplugged. All the routers I've been in the antennas have a connection to the main board somewhere. (Meaning your router could just be faulty). 

Not the best image, but one I had handy on my web server, here is a router I was modifying, you can see the antenna connections near the heatsink (as an example):

mr96001.jpg

I was suspecting the same thing, and was very close to just opening up the device to check however, a combination of math exam and the seller not responding to me is keeping me from doing so. Tho it's kinda promising that if I literally hold the phone up to the router that I can get a pretty good signal in certain orientations. 

36 minutes ago, pwarrow88 said:

I think my unit is just faulty, I really am itching to open it up to see if one or all the internal antennas are lose or something. However before that, I will have to wait till like 3 am for everyone in my home to sleep before shutting down wireless. Tho, just now I tried putting my phone right up to the router in all four of the routers oreantations and directly in front of the router gave me a pretty good signal so, I think there might be some hope. 

Just try RMAing the damn thing first ?

Idk how RMA process is in your country, if it's like my country (Indonesia), the moment you break the seal if any, they will reject all claim and no one gonna punish them for doing so.

Refresh before you reply

37 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Just try RMAing the damn thing first ?

Idk how RMA process is in your country, if it's like my country (Indonesia), the moment you break the seal if any, they will reject all claim and no one gonna punish them for doing so.

I bought this off a marketplace called Caroucell, I have requested a return/refund and am waiting on the verdict to see if I get to return it or not.  Let's hope it goes through. I do feel bad for the seller tho, his service was awsome and now, if I get to return it, he will be left with a faulty router. Despite it being new and sealed in the box when I got it. : (

21 minutes ago, pwarrow88 said:

I bought this off a marketplace called Caroucell, I have requested a return/refund and am waiting on the verdict to see if I get to return it or not.  Let's hope it goes through. I do feel bad for the seller tho, his service was awsome and now, if I get to return it, he will be left with a faulty router. Despite it being new and sealed in the box when I got it. : (

Well, if he gotten it from Mi's distributor he can just send it back to them anyway.

Refresh before you reply

• 10 months later...
On 5/3/2023 at 5:33 AM, pwarrow88 said:

Bro i really want to know how you resolved this problem, because i had the exactly same problem, but in my case i went to the store and they gave another new one, but it worked like 1 hr, and then the wifi signal went off again, i have to be like 0.5 meters far from the router to get any signal. Now i went to the store again and they keep the router to check it, but now it passed two days and they say nothing, it is really strange this happen 2 times in a row.