Pay for 1 Gbps Up and Down, Ethernet only getting 100 Mbps

jcm5991

I have 1.0 Gbps download and upload speeds. My WiFi usually averages about 700-900 Mbps for both throughout the house. I use the Google Nest Wifi Pro with WiFi 6e. All of my cables are CAT6 and I have a few switches in the mix. Currently My router connects to a switch which has CAT6 cables running to each room of my house. The ethernet port in my office then connects to another switch (the same kind as earlier) in which splits to my personal PC and my Work PC. 

What I don't understand is that sometimes I do get the "full" 1 Gbps up and down after I restart my router, modem, switches, etc. But after a day or two my Ethernet to my PC is back to being limited to 100 Mbps. Not sure how it is just dropping off. All switches are TP link 5 port switches that are advertised as Gigabit Swtiches.

stupid question but have you checked if those switches you mentioned are gigabit? 

Edited by Ashley MLP Fangirl
missed the last line of the post sorry

She/Her

can you check network adaptor settings? that should show if your pc thinks it's connected to 100mbps or gigabit

Windows Settings shows it here: 

image.png?width=720&height=355

She/Her

It sounds like you may have a switch starting to fail, you can try doing a reset on one device at a time and see if you can isolate a specific device in the chain or try and bypass each switch one at a time. There is also a potential for it being a cable, again you can swap one cable at time. We just went through this issue at work at found one cable had somehow gone bad and would occasionally work perfect or drop a group of users to 100mbps. 

Check if the switch, on which PC is connected to the network, has port negotiation speed set to 1000Mbps Full Duplex. Additionally, you can also change to that in network adapter settings, in Windows.

Screenshot_1.png.6d3f0c77037524d80eb671e38934ffe7.png

Make sure all your switches are Gigabit, not Fast Ethernet (10/100). Also make sure your router has Gigabit LAN ports.

Try taking your switches out of the equation, connect your PC directly to the wall then the other end of the run into your router. Depending on the age of your home and who ran the network cables, it's possible only two pairs are punched down to your network jacks. (This would carry 100 meg, but not Gigabit. Some low-voltage contractors used to steal two pairs for phone lines, so they don't have to pull a separate voice cable. That was fine back when consumer devices only had 100 meg Ethernet.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.