Cheap tv Audio Setup (200-250€)

Marius1335

Hey, i am looking for a cheap way to improve my TV audio setup. Until now we are just using the TV speakers, but as you can guess they do not sound that well. I'm a little tight on budget, so I would like to spend not more than 250€. Since I am new in this field I am open for Ideas... I am not even sure whether I should buy a soundbar or just two shelf speakers.
I thought about buying the Edifier s350db, what do you think about them? Do you have any other recommendations?
Thank you very much for your help!

mackie cx5's are a very popular start as they are quite well tuned for this kind of setup and right in budget.

The edifier would be a goo option if you have space for the Speakers further to the side fo the TV if you dont have much space i would go for a sound bar + sub, maybe a used sony HT-S40R you sometimes can get the for 250 $ or close to that and that way you have a 5.1 setup  

Honestly a soundbar is probably the way to go. A basic soundbar + subwoofer will be better than your TV speakers. The problem with bookshelf speakers or monitors is volume control. Either you'll need to use the speaker's remote to control volume, or have to get up and adjust the volume. The other thing to consider is how far away you're sitting from the TV. Most studio monitor speakers are near-field speakers, and are designed for a rather small sweet spot when sitting fairly close to the speakers. Sitting further back, and especially off-axis, the sound will not be as ideal. Having said that, depending on the speaker, and the listener, you may not even really notice being outside of the sweet spot. But the problem with volume control remains with monitors as well. For some people, having two remotes isn't a big deal, but it can definitely be annoying. And most monitors don't come with remotes/have remote functionality either.