Affordable VR headset for DCS and Beat Saber?

DefinitelyRus
Go to solution Solved by trufret,
On 4/30/2023 at 5:59 PM, DefinitelyRus said:

Oh I just meant that if there were any VR headsets that were a good balance of affordable and usable -- at what cost should I expect them to be, avoiding the cheaply made stuff that may result in some intense motion sickness regardless of in-game performance.

If you're willing to accept facebook/meta then the quest 2 is your best bet right now.

Motion sickness is going to be a person to person issue based on your eyes not agreeing with your inner ear about the motion they perceive. This can be made much worse by a weak PC causing stuttering/low FPS of the headset's image but even a headset running at it's max refresh rate will cause motion sickness if you are susceptible to it.聽 The only way to deal with that is to slowly build a tolerance by playing until you begin to feel weird and stopping until your 100% again. it may take a few weeks/months of starting at 5-15 mins and slowly building up VR time until you can play for hours.

Beatsaber may not give you motion sickness at all as your eyes don't see you as moving but DCS likely will as your eyes tell you you're in a fighterjet doing loops at mach 1 and your ear says you're sitting still.

That brings us to DCS.

For DCS, a Reverb G2 would give much better clarity to read the instruments but you're going to need a pretty high end PC for that. For example, to get a stable 90 FPS on a reverb G2 you'd need something like an RTX4090 and 5800X3d/13700K or better with at least 32GB of ram.

I'm running a 5900x and 6800XT with 64GB Ram on a Reverb G2 with openXR and am getting 40-70 fps based on map, MP/SP and how many players/AI there are and that is using some FSR up-scaling via openXR toolkit.

A quest 2 would be a little less resource intensive since it's lower resolution but you'd still want something like a 3060TI/3070 minimum to have a decent experience and you will be turning graphics way down.

The new DCS multi-threading beta helps a bit but it's just decoupling the game logic from the image render but there are still issues with the DCS code especially in multiplayer that will hammer your FPS.

I'm not buying one right now or really anytime soon. I'm just curious what the landscape looks like right now and at what cost would it be to play DCS with VR without vomiting all over my seat. I'm not really sure what to look for right now and I haven't bothered looking because I can't afford one anyway! 馃槃

"USB 3.2 Gen 2x2"

12 hours ago, DefinitelyRus said:

I'm not buying one right now or really anytime soon. I'm just curious what the landscape looks like right now and at what cost would it be to play DCS with VR without vomiting all over my seat. I'm not really sure what to look for right now and I haven't bothered looking because I can't afford one anyway! 馃槃

I play beat saber fine on a oculus quest thhrough my pc wirelessly at 120 hz with the popularity of the thing you can probably find a used one. don't even need the top of the line one if your running it through your pc

I use the Meta Quest 2 for untethered Beat Saber.

You can buy a long USB-C cable and link it to your computer if you need extra power, but I've never done that before.

19 hours ago, DefinitelyRus said:

and at what cost would it be to play DCS with VR without vomiting all over my seat

I'm confused by what you're asking. We can't recommend you a VR headset when that's something that's going to vary from user to user, and it will depend on what settings you decide in-game. It would cost you zero $$ if you just don't play VR 馃檪

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

1 hour ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

I'm confused by what you're asking. We can't recommend you a VR headset when that's something that's going to vary from user to user, and it will depend on what settings you decide in-game. It would cost you zero $$ if you just don't play VR 馃檪

Oh I just meant that if there were any VR headsets that were a good balance of affordable and usable -- at what cost should I expect them to be, avoiding the cheaply made stuff that may result in some intense motion sickness regardless of in-game performance.

"USB 3.2 Gen 2x2"

4 hours ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

use the Meta Quest 2 for untethered Beat Saber.

i like the quest 2 as well. my friends let me use theirs and i love the quality without like position monitors like the valve index. very easy to use

you dont need an aio for anything but i9 cpus or heavy oc jobs just get an nh-d15 or peerless assassin

MARK THE SOLUTION AS SOLUTION

i am 14 so i may be wrong sometimes

@Bob__聽is a w

On 4/30/2023 at 5:59 PM, DefinitelyRus said:

If you're willing to accept facebook/meta then the quest 2 is your best bet right now.

Motion sickness is going to be a person to person issue based on your eyes not agreeing with your inner ear about the motion they perceive. This can be made much worse by a weak PC causing stuttering/low FPS of the headset's image but even a headset running at it's max refresh rate will cause motion sickness if you are susceptible to it.聽 The only way to deal with that is to slowly build a tolerance by playing until you begin to feel weird and stopping until your 100% again. it may take a few weeks/months of starting at 5-15 mins and slowly building up VR time until you can play for hours.

Beatsaber may not give you motion sickness at all as your eyes don't see you as moving but DCS likely will as your eyes tell you you're in a fighterjet doing loops at mach 1 and your ear says you're sitting still.

That brings us to DCS.

For DCS, a Reverb G2 would give much better clarity to read the instruments but you're going to need a pretty high end PC for that. For example, to get a stable 90 FPS on a reverb G2 you'd need something like an RTX4090 and 5800X3d/13700K or better with at least 32GB of ram.

I'm running a 5900x and 6800XT with 64GB Ram on a Reverb G2 with openXR and am getting 40-70 fps based on map, MP/SP and how many players/AI there are and that is using some FSR up-scaling via openXR toolkit.

A quest 2 would be a little less resource intensive since it's lower resolution but you'd still want something like a 3060TI/3070 minimum to have a decent experience and you will be turning graphics way down.

The new DCS multi-threading beta helps a bit but it's just decoupling the game logic from the image render but there are still issues with the DCS code especially in multiplayer that will hammer your FPS.

As much as I dislike Meta owning Oculus; they really have cornered the market with the Quest 2 for price to performance in VR. Paired with their new pro controllers and you can have a pretty good setup for a reasonable price.

Or if you're not looking to purchase right away I'd wait a bit. The Quest 3 is supposed to be announced this year and even if you don't go for that model it will mean prices for the Quest 2 will come down as well.

4 hours ago, trufret said:

Why exactly is it that the ears are the ones who tell me that what I'm seeing and what I'm feeling don't match? I've heard about this before too. 馃槃

"USB 3.2 Gen 2x2"