I hate Lian Li.

IEatglue
Go to solution Solved by Avocheeseado,

Your parts list looks perfect

AMD recommend a 750W PSU for the 7900XTX so something like this would be plenty (unless you plan to do a lot of overclocking - if so there isn't really a way around paying $300 for an 1000w sfx)

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Efficiency-Included-Warranty/dp/B08LP6WS35/ref=sr_1_3?crid=6K1DM0NL8HJG&keywords=850w+sfx+psu&qid=1682267431&sprefix=85w+sfx+psu%2Caps%2C354&sr=8-3

you might also want more storage than that if you are planning on playing lots of games - go with a 2tb nvme

now before you start yelling at me hear me out

Budget (including currency): ~$2000 USD (can stretch a bit) (PC ONLY NOT INCLUDEING MONITOR)  ~$300 USD for monitor

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Valorant, minecraft, warthunder, (probably going to get some heavier games soon as well such as the last of us and the day before) and streaming + recording.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I have a good keyboard and mouse + a 1080p 144hz and 1080p 60hz which  i will use as side monitors and am prob gona get the Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ for a main monitor

here is my parts list so far: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yhFY3y

you will probably notice i am missing a case and a psu, and this is where my hate of lian li comes in, the Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini Snow Edition is my dream case, it has all the advantages of the regular o11d but its smaller and prettier, like i said my dream case and i was planning on useing it for this build.

the only problem is it only supports an SFX psu.

as you can see on pcpartpicker it says the estimated power draw is ~740w, now that estimate is not perfect of course and the real world draw could possibly be much lower, but for a build this caliber i would feel much safer going into with the peace of mind that im not going to run into power draw issues, i heard from somewhere that you ideally want a psu that is estimated power draw X 1.5 (which in my case is 1101) ofc this is not perfect and probably on the much higher side but evan if i do get a 1000w psu it would STILL BE 101w OVER.

so i could go the cheapo route of just chucking in a $150 psu and cry when im running my 7900xtx at the speed of a 3060 (exaggeration to be clear)

or i could cry by spending ~$350+ on a 1000w sfx psu (and very slim but possible chance of still reaching a bottleneck on power)

OR i could cry by spending $2300+ on a build without the case i want.

either way I cant win.

TLDR: i really want the  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini Snow Edition but it only supports sfx psu so i get mad abt $300+ 1000w SFX psu and power bottlenecks.

DISCLAMER: I am being dramatic please don't yell at me lmao

I like to think I know a lot more about pcs than I actually do, please fact check everything I say as I am 14 lol

AMD recommend a 750W PSU for the 7900XTX so something like this would be plenty (unless you plan to do a lot of overclocking - if so there isn't really a way around paying $300 for an 1000w sfx)

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Efficiency-Included-Warranty/dp/B08LP6WS35/ref=sr_1_3?crid=6K1DM0NL8HJG&keywords=850w+sfx+psu&qid=1682267431&sprefix=85w+sfx+psu%2Caps%2C354&sr=8-3

you might also want more storage than that if you are planning on playing lots of games - go with a 2tb nvme

12 minutes ago, Avocheeseado said:

oh huh i didn't know that i thought it was 850W

also thank you

I like to think I know a lot more about pcs than I actually do, please fact check everything I say as I am 14 lol

2 hours ago, IEatglue said:

i heard from somewhere that you ideally want a psu that is estimated power draw X 1.5

Must be getting commissions from PSU companies. 😀

The number reported in pcpartpicker is the total power specified by each part manufacturer. The only reasons for a higher capacity PSU is an intention to OC, add components, or to handle transient spikes in higher-end GPU. (This last issue is rapidly disappearing as new GPU models appear.)

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 4/23/2023 at 2:51 PM, brob said:

Must be getting commissions from PSU companies. 😀

The number reported in pcpartpicker is the total power specified by each part manufacturer. The only reasons for a higher capacity PSU is an intention to OC, add components, or to handle transient spikes in higher-end GPU. (This last issue is rapidly disappearing as new GPU models appear.)

Thanks for the clarification, PSUs are basically the only pc part i know near nothing about lmao