Watching video on a TV as monitor vs on the TV by itself?

Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,

Your new C3 and Netflix support Dolby Vision. But you cannot display Dolby Vision through Windows. So to watch content in Dolby Vision you will have to use the TV's smart interface. Picture quality is also better in it's movie picture modes than in game mode, which is most likely what you're using on your PC. In fact, most picture settings are locked down in PC mode like motion interpolation, smooth gradiation, etc.

Plus, HDR support in internet browsers is a very mixed bag for most. Edge is the only browser that does a good job with HDR content and streaming services.

For example, let's say that I want to watch some series on Netflix, does it make a visual difference between:

1. Having the TV as monitor then opening Netflix in the web browser
  2. Having the TV by itself and opening the Netflix app

I hope I'm making sense

9 minutes ago, Hi P said:

For example, let's say that I want to watch some series on Netflix, does it make a visual difference between:

1. Having the TV as monitor then opening Netflix in the web browser
  2. Having the TV by itself and opening the Netflix app

I hope I'm making sense

Certain streaming platforms will only provide the "best" quality playback when using their app natively. This varies from service to service, and is usually related to their DRM copyright protection mechanism. Otherwise, there's not a ton of difference between using a Smart TV app vs. a computer web browser on the TV.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Your new C3 and Netflix support Dolby Vision. But you cannot display Dolby Vision through Windows. So to watch content in Dolby Vision you will have to use the TV's smart interface. Picture quality is also better in it's movie picture modes than in game mode, which is most likely what you're using on your PC. In fact, most picture settings are locked down in PC mode like motion interpolation, smooth gradiation, etc.

Plus, HDR support in internet browsers is a very mixed bag for most. Edge is the only browser that does a good job with HDR content and streaming services.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

10 hours ago, Hi P said:

@StahlmannWhat about GeForce Now? As in, Windows Web Browser vs TV Application

I never tried that, so i can't say for sure. But with the TV app there should be less potential points of failure compared to a browser. Just make sure your TV is in game mode when you're using it.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.