Is there a way to enable 6E on Win10 without shelling out $5 for a sketchy 3rd party AX210 driver?

zushiba

I got all my sexy new equipment in place to finally enjoy some high bandwidth 6e fun on my main rig only to be hit in the face with the shovel that is Microsoft, not "allowing" me to use my own friggin hardware on Windows 10. 

Last night I finally got my new Wifi 6E router, I set it up only to fight with it, struggling to connect to my 6ghz network. After some research I found that Microsoft, in their money grubbing wisdom decided that if you want to enjoy 6e speeds, you have to shell out for their new, horrible version of Windows. 

There's some hacks that purport to enable 6ghz support in Windows 10 via a registry edit but they don't work. Please someone tell me there's another way other than downgrading to Windows 11. 

if intel's driver for win10 doesnt include 6e, there is nothing microsoft can do about this, and your shady paid driver is probably a scam if anything.

dont blame things on microsoft they have no say in, there's enough other things you can blame them for.

25 minutes ago, zushiba said:

I got all my sexy new equipment in place to finally enjoy some high bandwidth 6e fun on my main rig only to be hit in the face with the shovel that is Microsoft, not "allowing" me to use my own friggin hardware on Windows 10. 

Last night I finally got my new Wifi 6E router, I set it up only to fight with it, struggling to connect to my 6ghz network. After some research I found that Microsoft, in their money grubbing wisdom decided that if you want to enjoy 6e speeds, you have to shell out for their new, horrible version of Windows. 

There's some hacks that purport to enable 6ghz support in Windows 10 via a registry edit but they don't work. Please someone tell me there's another way other than downgrading to Windows 11. 

Windows 10 is EOL soon anyways. Full send the upgrade to 11

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

6 minutes ago, zushiba said:

I will 100% blame Microsoft for this.

it took me all of 4 minutes of digging....

the reason why it requires windows 11, is because of regulatory requirements. the module will *not* enable 6G unless location data can confirm it is in a region that allows civillian broadcast on 6Ghz, so that the module does not break any laws (which would ban the sale outright in some markets.)

and apparently windows 10 cant do this, so that's why it wont enable it.

again... dont blame microsoft for something they have no say in. they would have to force location data on windows 10, just to make this work.. imagine the rage you would have if microsoft shoehorned more telemetry in your precious operating system.

blame regualtory requirements, not microsoft. go blame microsoft for how much they bunged up windows 11 instead.

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

windows 10 cant do this

Listen to yourself man, Microsoft makes the operating system. Win10 isn't EOL yet, instead of, oh I don't know, adding that feature which some random guy on the Internet was able to do with his replacement driver, they decided to instead ignore it and force people on to their much shitter win11. 

You yourself admit that WIn11 sucks, so how exactly am I not allowed to blame Microsoft?

In reality I'm not interested in your opinion on whom I'm allowed to blame for the issue, I was wondering if anyone had any other working solutions, if you don't have one then fine.

Just now, zushiba said:

You yourself admit that WIn11 sucks, so how exactly am I not allowed to blame Microsoft?

because this isnt microsoft's doing. like i said - blame microsoft for how shitty win11 is.. that's something they actively got wrong.

Just now, zushiba said:

Win10 isn't EOL yet,

it's not EOL, but it's no longer getting new features.

1 minute ago, zushiba said:

adding that feature which some random guy on the Internet was able to do with his replacement driver,

because of:

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

regulatory requirements

which random dude on the internet wont actually get in legal trouble for ignoring, but intel would if they were shipping a device that has average joe broadcast on a potentially restricted frequency.

Youll problably wanna wait for windows 11 enterprise ltsc, shouldnt be as bad as regular w11 bloat wise

Though aside from garbage telemetry what do you hate about w11? Usually theres a workaround for pretty much anything

I personally am a hater of w11 aswell if 10 wasnt already bad enough with its telemetry (circumvented by going w10 ltsc instead)

3 hours ago, manikyath said:

which random dude on the internet wont actually get in legal trouble for ignoring, but intel would if they were shipping a device that has average joe broadcast on a potentially restricted frequency.

Not sure Microsoft would either, the end user would be the one in breach of regulatory requirements and get fined by the FCC.  Its understandable it would not be a good look for Microsoft to get their customers fined for breaking the law though.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Update, an old ax210 driver that still had 6ghz capability, specifically 2.45.1.1 works. I just had to disable Windows automatic driver update to get it to work. 

I am now fully connected to my 6ghz network. No thanks, once again to Microsoft. 

So to anyone in the same situation, this is the solution.

5 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Though aside from garbage telemetry what do you hate about w11? Usually theres a workaround for pretty much anything

The telemetry is a very big issue, but not the only thing I dislike. The "dumbing down" of the interface is another. I know that it can be worked around but I hate to have to do that. Especially when my settings will be unilaterally reverted every update.
I'm sure I'll eventually have to "upgrade" but I'm going to put it off as long as I can.

4 hours ago, zushiba said:

The telemetry is a very big issue, but not the only thing I dislike. The "dumbing down" of the interface is another. I know that it can be worked around but I hate to have to do that. Especially when my settings will be unilaterally reverted every update.
I'm sure I'll eventually have to "upgrade" but I'm going to put it off as long as I can.

Tbh i share the same hate as you but i direct that hate to both 10 and 11

Only reason id be ok with 10 is because w10 ltsc exists and the rest of my issues can be solved with simple workarounds or programs (ex i prefer old w7 like home thingy whatever the hell menu that pops up when you press the windows key) , dont need to do constant debloating each update

I reckon youd be abit more accepting of w11 when they release the non shit ltsc version that does all the debloating for you and the rest is fixed by simple workarounds and programs, not to mention updates are infrequent aside from security updates afaik and i bet you can just forgo them and not have any real consequence assuming you arent a targettable person (work in the government, big tech, etc.) As ive found out myself running very outdated android for a long time

5 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

As ive found out myself running very outdated android for a long time

That especially is not about being a target, its about being lucky to not install any compromised apps or load a compromised advert.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

9 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That especially is not about being a target, its about being lucky to not install any compromised apps or load a compromised advert.

I assume it would have run out at some point but 7 years from 2014 - 2021? Yea i doubt thats pure luck, and anyone that has run outdated androids for many years (either because no money or because hand me downs) will agree unless theyre the unlucky few that got infected though thats problably an issue of being a moron and sideloading malware ridden cracked apps (which ive done myself many times aswell so i agree that part is pure luck)

I still dont buy secutiry updates and i am still willingly running the stock android version my vivo came with which is like 2021 (blocked auto updates with a firewall) so im still absolutely not done with running outdated android till i get one that doesnt have any concerns regarding additional garbage bloatware (maybe a custom rom when i get a phone with a community around it). I expect absolutely nothing to happen as thats what ive come to expect over the 7 prior years of running very outdated android (fuckin android 5 till 2021 cause my android 6 xiaomi is trash and i dont wanna update to android 7 over performance concerns)

Not risking it personally, though I don't have much choice given mostly I used WhatsApp and Banking apps, both which forced me onto new Android versions.

I do agree its a con though, I'd pay a small monthly fee to extend security patches past 3 years.  Its kinda insane when you consider completely free operating systems have LTS versions that may get security patches for a decade, but Android phones that cost a fortune you may get a couple of years.

My old Galaxy Note 4 is still in perfect working order, except all the apps I use regularly no longer work on it.  Its still useful as a backup camera at least and of course unlike newer phones, the battery is easily replaced too.

10 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Tbh i share the same hate as you but i direct that hate to both 10 and 11

Only reason id be ok with 10 is because w10 ltsc exists and the rest of my issues can be solved with simple workarounds or programs (ex i prefer old w7 like home thingy whatever the hell menu that pops up when you press the windows key) , dont need to do constant debloating each update

I think my biggest issue with Windows 11 at this point is the extra clicks I need to jump through to perform tasks that I don't need to do on Windows 10.

For instance, the context menu, yes I know you can get to the old context menu quickly, but it's 1 extra click that I otherwise wouldn't need to do. Just because Microsoft wants to make the UI friendlier for people who don't have a technical background. 

I also know I can get my old, more functional context menu back with a fairly simple registry edit, but I don't feel like I should be forced into editing the registry to accomplish that. 

The ribbon being removed from the default explorer window is another annoyance that necessitates several more clicks to perform the same functions again, like the context menu issue. And once again I can get that back with another registry edit but here we are again. 

Then we have those "value added" features that are designed for fucking who knows. Sports, photos weather etc. No one actually uses any of that shit but it takes up a huge part of the crappier, less useful Start Menu. You just know that this shit was added by some fucking focus group who think their main audience is the kind of people you only see in advertisements. None of those people actually fucking exist. You know the kind, the ones in the commercials who are hiking up the side of a cliff, wiping their heads drinking from a water bottle while some god awful trendy music plays in the background. Then it shows them scheduling their busy lifestyles using the ToDo list in the Start Menu. 

It's like the people from fucking Apple commercials, they only exist in the eyes of marketing execs, yet Windows 11's UI is designed around them. Which really sucks because there's some parts of the UI that I genuinely like. 

I also know there's tools you can get to restore a lot of the features, but once again, I shouldn't have to download a 3rd party tool to restore functionality to my operating system and I certainly shouldn't have to tool around in the registry either.

1 hour ago, zushiba said:

I think my biggest issue with Windows 11 at this point is the extra clicks I need to jump through to perform tasks that I don't need to do on Windows 10.

For instance, the context menu, yes I know you can get to the old context menu quickly, but it's 1 extra click that I otherwise wouldn't need to do. Just because Microsoft wants to make the UI friendlier for people who don't have a technical background. 

I also know I can get my old, more functional context menu back with a fairly simple registry edit, but I don't feel like I should be forced into editing the registry to accomplish that. 

The ribbon being removed from the default explorer window is another annoyance that necessitates several more clicks to perform the same functions again, like the context menu issue. And once again I can get that back with another registry edit but here we are again. 

Then we have those "value added" features that are designed for fucking who knows. Sports, photos weather etc. No one actually uses any of that shit but it takes up a huge part of the crappier, less useful Start Menu. You just know that this shit was added by some fucking focus group who think their main audience is the kind of people you only see in advertisements. None of those people actually fucking exist. You know the kind, the ones in the commercials who are hiking up the side of a cliff, wiping their heads drinking from a water bottle while some god awful trendy music plays in the background. Then it shows them scheduling their busy lifestyles using the ToDo list in the Start Menu. 

It's like the people from fucking Apple commercials, they only exist in the eyes of marketing execs, yet Windows 11's UI is designed around them. Which really sucks because there's some parts of the UI that I genuinely like. 

I also know there's tools you can get to restore a lot of the features, but once again, I shouldn't have to download a 3rd party tool to restore functionality to my operating system and I certainly shouldn't have to tool around in the registry either.

Better hope 11 ltsc is not hot garbage

In the meantime consider swapping to 10 ltsc, already debloated and it wont bloat itself again after an update, and if you care also much longer security updates than normal w10 which ends at 2025, iirc goes upto 2028 or 2032

14 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

As ive found out myself running very outdated android for a long time

Really shouldn’t the running old OS’s that are not patched…

With fun zero day’s running around that can be remotely executed simply by knowing your phone number (literally, they don’t need to know who you are, or care who you are, they just send a payload to every possible phone number and see what devices become rooted as a result….), it’s probably not the best idea anymore to just assume you are not targetable. Do you have money or resources: yes. Does someone else want to obtain your money or resources for free? Yes they do. If all it takes it spamming every phone number that exists with an attack on the phones modem, which then allows for lateral movement into android itself…. You just got yourself root-kitted, had no idea it happened, and did literally nothing wrong to cause it to happen. 

It’s probably time people stop assuming doing nothing and assuming they won’t be targeted to stop being a valid approach. You can be targeted by attacks that are aimed at every phone number, without knowing it happened, or having any sign or requiring any “miss step” by you. Fun stuff… patching devices matters, and buying devices that receive ongoing timely patches matters. This is just the world we now live in, unfortunately. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

16 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Laughs in no sim card

So your phone has no cellular connection? You only make calls via VOIP on Wifi?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

Just now, LIGISTX said:

So your phone has no cellular connection? You only make calls via VOIP on Wifi?

Before needing to use a phone for school didnt use sim, first time as around 4th grade but never bought data so number is constantly inactive

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Before needing to use a phone for school didnt use sim, first time as around 4th grade but never bought data so number is constantly inactive

If the phone has a cell modem, it could be affected since it’s a baseband attack. The modem is always on, and a cell provider can always reach out to it. 

But, I don’t even know if your device is affected, but that’s sort of not the point. The point is more focused on the fact these are the types of exploits that exist these days, and this is why patching matters. 

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

If the phone has a cell modem, it could be affected since it’s a baseband attack. The modem is always on, and a cell provider can always reach out to it. 

But, I don’t even know if your device is affected, but that’s sort of not the point. The point is more focused on the fact these are the types of exploits that exist these days, and this is why patching matters. 

Still doesnt give me a real reason to worry when its not affecting me and will still proceed to stay on this things stock android 11 with no updates, maybe till i switch phone and move all data then assuming if factory resetting gets rid of installed updates ill test out newer updates see if theres more garbage bloatware or they actually fixed glaring issues (random slowdowns cause broken throttling behaviour, no low battery warning, etc.), so if its garbage simply factory reset

its only till i get affected is when i start worrying but unlikely when i got a frickin firewall, first thing i did when i got this thing was uninstall as much preinstalled garbage as possible and disabled as many unneccesary perms on apps as possible, then briefly turned on wifi to install the damn firewall, turn it back off, config the firewall to block all the bloat, and then proceed to use the phone normally cause i do not want telemetry being sent to the ccp

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Still doesnt give me a real reason to worry when its not affecting me and will still proceed to stay on this things stock android 11 with no updates, maybe till i switch phone and move all data then assuming if factory resetting gets rid of installed updates ill test out newer updates see if theres more garbage bloatware or they actually fixed glaring issues (random slowdowns cause broken throttling behaviour, no low battery warning, etc.), so if its garbage simply factory reset

its only till i get affected is when i start worrying but unlikely when i got a frickin firewall, first thing i did when i got this thing was uninstall as much preinstalled garbage as possible and disabled as many unneccesary perms on apps as possible, then briefly turned on wifi to install the damn firewall, turn it back off, config the firewall to block all the bloat, and then proceed to use the phone normally cause i do not want telemetry being sent to the ccp

Um… what. Lol. 

How do you use a phone normally without Wifi, and with no cellular service?

But I would advise doing some research and learning a little more about cyber security if this is something you are actually interested in. Phone OS’s are designed to operate in “adverse” situations since they have to assume the networks they connect to are not secured. The issue isn’t so much about the random bloatware on the phone calling home, it’s about exploits in the apps, OS, or hardware being exploited.

You can have all the firewalls you want, but if you open chrome and end up on a site with malicious code exploiting the browser itself, nothing you listed will help at all. This is why software updates and patches help… you know a bunch of chrome zero days we’re just actively exploited out on the wild? Similar issues are found with phone software and OS’s all the time. Hell, you can get rooted via Bluetooth-this was an issue years ago, but unpatched devices could be hacked via Bluetooth being turned on. 

An attitude of “it won’t matter until it happens to me” is horrible. It’s one thing to be ignorant and either not know your ignorant of technology, or admit you are, but pretending it won’t matter until it does is horrible. If you have the willingness and eagerness to learn, you should. If you don’t, don’t pretend you do. 

But, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. All I can do is lead a horse to water. It’s entirely up to you if this is something you want to devote braincells to worry about. If you don’t, that’s fine too. I’m just being the voice of warning. 

7 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Um… what. Lol. 

How do you use a phone normally without Wifi, and with no cellular service?

But I would advise doing some research and learning a little more about cyber security if this is something you are actually interested in. Phone OS’s are designed to operate in “adverse” situations since they have to assume the networks they connect to are not secured. The issue isn’t so much about the random bloatware on the phone calling home, it’s about exploits in the apps, OS, or hardware being exploited.

You can have all the firewalls you want, but if you open chrome and end up on a site with malicious code exploiting the browser itself, nothing you listed will help at all. This is why software updates and patches help… you know a bunch of chrome zero days we’re just actively exploited out on the wild? Similar issues are found with phone software and OS’s all the time. Hell, you can get rooted via Bluetooth-this was an issue years ago, but unpatched devices could be hacked via Bluetooth being turned on. 

An attitude of “it won’t matter until it happens to me” is horrible. It’s one thing to be ignorant and either not know your ignorant of technology, or admit you are, but pretending it won’t matter until it does is horrible. If you have the willingness and eagerness to learn, you should. If you don’t, don’t pretend you do. 

But, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. All I can do is lead a horse to water. It’s entirely up to you if this is something you want to devote braincells to worry about. If you don’t, that’s fine too. I’m just being the voice of warning. 

Welp thanks for the warning but yea im still stubborn, i do actually use wifi but didnt actively start using mobile data till mid grade 8

I use duckduckgo which seems to be some sort of modification for firefox (seems like they moved away from chrome as their base)

though im curious about rooting exploits cause it sucks having a phone that isnt rooted and filled with garbage bloatware not to mention having no control of the cpu governor so if i can use one of these root exploits on android 11 thatd be handy, otherwise im already gonna go buy another phone anyways and use this thingy for buying and selling, but now im contemplating between buying a rog 5s or buying a similarly high spec phone but with a better camera since i can just hook a portable monitor onto a pc and play games on that