psu 12pin

hollyh88
Go to solution Solved by Poinkachu,
10 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

so im not really well informed when it comes to psu's being able to work with the new nvidia 12pins. Mine of course only has regular 6+2 pins. But i do see those adapters and of course you can put 2 8 pins or 6+2 pins on them but as far as i know that doesnt make your psu automatically compatible right? So my question is.. is my psu compatible with such gpu pins?

my psu is a 850fx or Seasonic Focus Plus 850 Gold. 

Basically they're simply 12v & GND wires, just in different layout / pinout.

Seasonic sells their version of 8pin to 12vhpwr custom PSU cable, which looks better & easier to route and stuffs. https://seasonic.com/12vhpwr-cable

Or you can buy one from cablemod, either it's adapter or custom PSU cable.

so im not really well informed when it comes to psu's being able to work with the new nvidia 12pins. Mine of course only has regular 6+2 pins. But i do see those adapters and of course you can put 2 8 pins or 6+2 pins on them but as far as i know that doesnt make your psu automatically compatible right? So my question is.. is my psu compatible with such gpu pins?

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

10 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

Seasonic sells their version of 8pin to 12vhpwr custom PSU cable, which looks better & easier to route and stuffs. https://seasonic.com/12vhpwr-cable

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Basically put, all PSUs are compatible with the adapters the GPUs come with, but some PSUs you can buy new cables which replace that adapter entirely.

Native ATX 3.0 PSUs only do a little more, in that they detect how many cables are plugged in and alter the detection pins to reduce the GPUs maximum power draw, if the combined number of cables plugged in would exceed the PSUs rating.  This is largely redundant given hardly anyone uses multiple GPUs and hardly any GPUs are going to need 600W of power anyway.

Its basically a feature that might be useful for workstations where people upgrade multiple GPUs and its better if they make a mistake that those GPUs reduce their maximum power, than the PC suddenly shut off due to overload in the middle of a important job.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

8 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Basically put, all PSUs are compatible with the adapters the GPUs come with, but some PSUs you can buy new cables which replace that adapter entirely.

Native ATX 3.0 PSUs only do a little more, in that they detect how many cables are plugged in and alter the detection pins to reduce the GPUs maximum power draw, if the combined number of cables plugged in would exceed the PSUs rating.  This is largely redundant given hardly anyone uses multiple GPUs and hardly any GPUs are going to need 600W of power anyway.

Its basically a feature that might be useful for workstations where people upgrade multiple GPUs and its better if they make a mistake that those GPUs reduce their maximum power, than the PC suddenly shut off due to overload in the middle of a important job.

9 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

alright thank you for both of your answers, so in case i may use a gpu in the future that requires a 12 pin im good to go with mine already. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate