Intel xeon E5 2686 v4

mmill63
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

Here's the only Intel article I've found about that CPU:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000090280/processors/intel-xeon-processors.html

Description
Tried to search for these models and it has no specification page. Need to check its specifications before buying one.

Resolution
The Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2696 v4 and E5-2686 v4 are designed to be used by system manufacturers who can set its specification themselves.

It has no standard specification from Intel, so this is the reason it has no specification entry at ARK.intel.com.

Sounds like it's one of those weird, OEM-only SKUs.

If you're running a single socket motherboard, the E5-16xx v4 family is a valid option. The latest incarnation of my home server is running on an E5-1650 v4 and it's fine.

Hi all.

I’m planning on upgrading my NAS and stumbled upon an Xeon e5 2686 v4, I can’t find any info on intel’s website and was wondering if anyone here can help me understand if it’s a good replacement for an E5 2620 v4,

or should I get some other version?

17 minutes ago, mmill63 said:

I’m planning on upgrading my NAS and stumbled upon an Xeon e5 2686 v4, I can’t find any info on intel’s website and was wondering if anyone here can help me understand if it’s a good replacement for an E5 2620 v4,

Looks like a lower power version of a 2697v4, same 18 core chip but lower clock and TDP. Like @jaslionsaid your NAS should be fine with just the 8 core 2620v4 unless there's an actual usecase for the higher core chip. If there isn't then you're just using more power for... no benefit, it doesn't clock any higher (slightly higher base clock but no higher turbo). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

A nas should run fine on a 2620 v4 unless this isn't just a nas?

Whats the usecase?

It runs unraid and I use it mostly for Plex, when the server does a parity check Plex becomes unusable do to low performance from the CPU, plus I’d like to spin up a VM. I have a spare 2080 super that I don’t use, will it be better to buy the Plex pass and transcode on the GPU instead of upgrading the CPU?

1 hour ago, Zando_ said:

Looks like a lower power version of a 2697v4, same 18 core chip but lower clock and TDP. Like @jaslionsaid your NAS should be fine with just the 8 core 2620v4 unless there's an actual usecase for the higher core chip. If there isn't then you're just using more power for... no benefit, it doesn't clock any higher (slightly higher base clock but no higher turbo). 

Looks like a good CPU, but it doesn’t appear on Intel’s site and there is not much information about it which scares me a little. The main problem I have is when the Unraid OS does a parity check Plex becomes unusable du to poor CPU performance, is it better to put a 2080 super I have for Plex transcoding instead of upgrading the CPU?

3 hours ago, mmill63 said:

The main problem I have is when the Unraid OS does a parity check Plex becomes unusable du to poor CPU performance, is it better to put a 2080 super I have for Plex transcoding instead of upgrading the CPU?

Not familiar with Unraid. Can you not just schedule parity checks for a time when you aren't using Plex? I use TrueNAS, all the ZFS scrubs, SMART self tests, etc are scheduled for 1-2am as nobody is accessing anything off it then.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000090280/processors/intel-xeon-processors.html

Description
Tried to search for these models and it has no specification page. Need to check its specifications before buying one.

Resolution
The Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2696 v4 and E5-2686 v4 are designed to be used by system manufacturers who can set its specification themselves.

It has no standard specification from Intel, so this is the reason it has no specification entry at ARK.intel.com.

If you're running a single socket motherboard, the E5-16xx v4 family is a valid option. The latest incarnation of my home server is running on an E5-1650 v4 and it's fine.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 hours ago, Zando_ said:

Not familiar with Unraid. Can you not just schedule parity checks for a time when you aren't using Plex? I use TrueNAS, all the ZFS scrubs, SMART self tests, etc are scheduled for 1-2am as nobody is accessing anything off it then.

Parity check in unraid can be 10-12 hours long.

8 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

That is what I figured, thanks 

Installed a 2080 super last night and it resolved my problem. Now Plex transcode’s on GPU and everything works great.

• 1 month later...

I have a pair of these CPUs from China. Bought an Intel S2600TP motherboard for them from the US. I live in Hungary. Planning to put the system in a Cisco blade and add a custom water cooling.

Also have a Tesla K20 for it.

Surprisingly, it works 😅 with the stock bios. Could not install anything yet since there is no 5V on my server psu. 

All parts are on my desk but need time to finish everything. I need to use some angle grinder, drill and thread tap some more and solder custom leads. 

Did not know about the existence of EFI shell, but it is very useful. 

It has 4x16Gb ram currently. I will use it for minesweeper 🤪

IMG_20230501_204219.jpg