My CFO just gave me the ability to expand our IT team..

I've always loved watching LTT videos, and I've listen to alot of random WAN shows in the background and I remember hearing through merch messages/comments about people trying to get into the IT industry, but their lack of "experience" always causes issues in the job search.. Well, long story short, I got the green light to build out an IT department and I would love to give chances to some of those individuals who have an interest in IT but no one is willing to take the initial chance with them. We have an office in Tampa, FL USA (near airport) and for now it's work in office. If anyone is looking to break into IT, I'd love to help. (50ish% of your time will be entry level tickets, and the other 50ish% will be hands on learning.)

I don't want to break the rules here and I'm a new LTT forums user so if I'm doing anything wrong or if this post should be deleted please let me know and I will do so. I just would rather pass the extra pay to my employee(s) than a recruiter, and most of the people I've hired who like LTT have been great to work with so far.

20 minutes ago, aligatorpotator said:

I've always loved watching LTT videos, and I've listen to alot of random WAN shows in the background and I remember hearing through merch messages/comments about people trying to get into the IT industry, but their lack of "experience" always causes issues in the job search.. Well, long story short, I got the green light to build out an IT department and I would love to give chances to some of those individuals who have an interest in IT but no one is willing to take the initial chance with them. We have an office in Tampa, FL USA (near airport) and for now it's work in office. If anyone is looking to break into IT, I'd love to help. (50ish% of your time will be entry level tickets, and the other 50ish% will be hands on learning.)

I don't want to break the rules here and I'm a new LTT forums user so if I'm doing anything wrong or if this post should be deleted please let me know and I will do so. I just would rather pass the extra pay to my employee(s) than a recruiter, and most of the people I've hired who like LTT have been great to work with so far.

As someone who's a self-taught IT professional, patience and tenacity are the most important traits, to include the ability to use Google. Either IT get frustrated by the simplicity of some of the problems and/or don't have the follow through to find a solution, including solutions that don't just involve spending more money.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

7 minutes ago, Agall said:

As someone who's a self-taught IT professional, patience and tenacity are the most important traits, to include the ability to use Google. Either IT get frustrated by the simplicity of some of the problems and/or don't have the follow through to find a solution, including solutions that don't just involve spending more money.

I am mostly self-taught and landing my first IT was hell. The second I got in, my passion for it made me a decent IT fella and now I'm able to help those also looking. I've been doing secret shopper stuff at bestbuy/walmart trying to find those who have an interest in tech to offer them jobs but nothing yet. Just trying to be proactive in my searching before I get lazy and hire a recruiter.

9 minutes ago, aligatorpotator said:

I am mostly self-taught and landing my first IT was hell. The second I got in, my passion for it made me a decent IT fella and now I'm able to help those also looking. I've been doing secret shopper stuff at bestbuy/walmart trying to find those who have an interest in tech to offer them jobs but nothing yet. Just trying to be proactive in my searching before I get lazy and hire a recruiter.

As someone who worked at Best Buy as Geek Squad during a migratory transition period, you'd want to snag the employees that've been there for 1-2 years. Best Buy expects turnover at about 1 year, to include Geek Squad. If the GM isn't a POS, then he'd be looking to rotate and hire new Geek Squad employees while getting a sufficient period of 1 on 1 training.

I imagine I'm not the only one who was grossly overqualified to work as Geek Squad and most the people at the store were full time IT at the local hospital and/or going to school. I'd expect them to be $15-20/hr with strict limitations on overtime. 

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

7 minutes ago, Agall said:

As someone who worked at Best Buy as Geek Squad during a migratory transition period, you'd want to snag the employees that've been there for 1-2 years. Best Buy expects turnover at about 1 year, to include Geek Squad. If the GM isn't a POS, then he'd be looking to rotate and hire new Geek Squad employees while getting a sufficient period of 1 on 1 training.

I imagine I'm not the only one who was grossly overqualified to work as Geek Squad and most the people at the store were full time IT at the local hospital and/or going to school. I'd expect them to be $15-20/hr with strict limitations on overtime. 

Yeah we can definitely beat their pay depending on the experience. This is more or less a relaxed job that will allow for fast tracking experience as we will have time to tinker with new technologies when we aren't doing basic entry level stuff. It should be a good enjoyable/educational experience for anyone looking to break into IT.

1 hour ago, aligatorpotator said:

Hey there, first of all, I just want to give you props for giving people with limited experience a shot! It's really cool of you.

I gotta admit, I'm one of those folks in that category. I'm super into tech and computers, but haven't had much luck getting my foot in the door yet. I'm based out of Dallas, TX though so unfortunately I'm not your guy!

Wishing you all the best in your search, OP.

3 minutes ago, FerretRayn said:

Hey there, first of all, I just want to give you props for giving people with limited experience a shot! It's really cool of you.

I gotta admit, I'm one of those folks in that category. I'm super into tech and computers, but haven't had much luck getting my foot in the door yet. I'm based out of Dallas, TX though so unfortunately I'm not your guy!

Wishing you all the best in your search, OP.

yeah I wish we had to ability to do remote, but that wont be until we get the IT back in house and away from an MSP that caused all sorts of issues. If you were in Austin it may be a different story because some of our branches are located there, and it "could" make sense. But for now they really want us in house until we put out the financial fire causes by the previous leadership.