Dual Socket Dumpster T7910. 56 threads and 128gb ECC DDR4 for $650

Ralasc

An update from this help thread I posted a while back after acquiring a used, dusty, but functional Dell Precision T7910 motherboard.  Dirt cheap ended up being a bit of a lie since I ended up not being able to use the included RAM.  These things are pretty much everywhere on eBay for around $50-$150 depending on how hard you look.  I was able to find this one with a junk e5-2620v3 cpu and some RAM I ended up not using locally for about $60.  This was my first dive into Dell ewaste and I certainly wasn't ready for it.

Specs:

• Mobo, PSU: Dell Precision T7910 parts
  • CPUs: E5-2697v3, 14 cores 28 threads each, 2.6ghz base 3.6ghz boost 
  • RAM: 128gb SK Hynix ECC DDR4 kit, 2133mhz, 8x16
  • Case: Mysterious Antec case I found at a pc repair shop
  • Storage: 120gb boot SSD, WD Blue 500gb HDD 
  • Coolers: Mysterious Novonest cooler from Amazon.
  • GPU: GT730 for display output

Cost:

• Motherboard: $60
  • CPUs: $50 ($25x2)
  • RAM: $288
  • PSU + daughterboard + necessary cables: ~$100
  • Case: $40
  • Storage: free (pulled from old prebuilts at work)
  • Coolers: $50 ($25x2)
  • GPU: $10
  • Random proprietary junk/cables: $50 
  • Total build cost: ~$647

"Features":

• Non functional front panel I/O
  • Lack of drive bays (drilled out to fit the motherboard)
  • 12v only PSU with a proprietary distribution board that will need to be very carefully shoved into the case to avoid shorts.
  • Proprietary fan headers that will fry your motherboard if you try to plug in standard fans just like the Optiplex.
  • No rear I/O panel or pcie shields
  • Annoying POST warning about missing case fans 
  • Loose HDD sliding around in the bottom of the case
  • 4 total screws holding the mobo in place, 3 are attached to standoffs that are screwed into jagged drill holes.
  • Blinking memory error motherboard light that drove me insane because I thought there was a dead ram stick.  Same blink code for incorrect/faulty ram and missing fans...
  • Ancient BIOS that wouldn't boot with both CPUs at first. 
  • SAS controller
  • Wake on LAN

Built as a render farm and to see if I could run game servers on it, I will also be emailing dell with pictures asking why my T7910 is acting funny to see how they respond. 

500gb is low for a machine like this, I have other spare drives I'll be installing.  With enough luck maybe I can find some SAS SSDs for cheap but I'm not holding my breath there.

Do I recommend this build? Not really, you can find a barebones T7910 or similar tier workstation and upgrade it yourself for roughly the same price, slightly more expensive at worst, without needing to worry about shorting that distribution board or hacking up a full tower case to fit the mobo.  Still a fun build though.

Thanks to @Slayer3032 for help finding the parts.

0411231741.jpg

0411231742_HDR.jpg

0410231800_HDR.jpg

I actually like tinkering with these old prebuilt workstations and servers better than building with "generic" whitebox parts.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

22 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

I actually like tinkering with these old prebuilt workstations and servers better than building with "generic" whitebox parts.

Was definitely a fun build to put together, not practical at all but I liked hunting down all the parts.

Next step will be figuring out how to fit this power supply inside the case in a not dangerous way (see attached image for danger), flipping the fans to pull gives room but they get concerningly hot with that configuration.  For now it'll just be sitting off to the side to avoid *cough* shorting 12v to ground again or much worse :v.

0411231758_HDR.jpg