Landline to "Smart" Landline

Zephyrus_47

Hi everyone,

I need some help in figuring out what I am trying to do is called and if it's even possible. And help in directing my research is greatly appreciated.

Firstly, my ISP has a bundled landline number with my package, this is accessed through a RJ11 port on the back of my ISP Modem and is too my knowledge a standard analog line (I have not tried it with a phone other than the one my ISP provides, but plan to soon as I'm looking to get a cordless extension).

Secondly, I have a Unifi setup for my networking, if there's any way this would make it simpler. Or if Unifi talk in any way can accomplish what I want it to do.

I want to have a system in place that can:-

1. Connect to the telephone jack and provide access to that line wirelessly through the house. For example, a base station and either WiFi or RF extension phones I can have in different rooms. Ethernet is also an option but not perfectly ideal.

2. The base station should have voicemail and call routing options, like extensions to ring specific phones in the home.

3. The different phones in the house should be able to call each other, like local intercom kind of thing. Call 0004 to ring the phone assigned extension 0004 and talk with the person on that phone.

4. Not necessary but a nice to have, would be an application for Android that would have the status of the line, for example being able to listen to voicemail etc. Having a call to the landline be able to ring the app as well would be a bonus. Or even calling from the app and having it use the landline to do the call. (Don't know if that last part will be used but would be nice to know if it's possible)

Is there any system like this already? 

Or is there anyway I can accomplish this? What are the keywords I need to be searching to learn more?

Thanking everyone in advance for the kind assistance.

you're not really going to find these features in home-level systems.  This is office-tier call handling stuff.

So unless your budget for this is 4+ digits?  That's not gonna happen.

Asterisk might be able to do some of the things that you're looking for, it sounds like you're looking to setup a PBX?

I've never used it and I have absolutely no idea what the hardware situation would even look like so I can't offer any advice beyond that I have heard of Asterisk before.

Hi unfortunately that budget is definitely isn't what I had in mind.

Isn't there any smarter cordless phone options then? I was looking around and the VTech-IS8151-5 seems to meet most of my requirements. Except for the mobile app part, I will look into PBXs and if there's a way I can self host my own. But I might just end up going with the VTech option if I can't find anything that has that feature.

If this was plain SIP VoIP it might be doable, as dedicated VoIP base stations often let you have multiple different SIP accounts and direct them to specific groups of handsets (though that would mean multiple SIP services, though they're often quite cheap).  Calling directly between handsets is also pretty standard for these units.

But if your ISP only allows connection via their own router then you're out of luck using your current service.

As someone mention above, running your own PBX would be a way to get support for extensions, but that can be quite tricky to setup and if you can't login to your account from the PBX itself - the hardware to connect it to an analog socket is expensive.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7