Whats a good GPU for my system

Andrew297

I have a core 2 duo e6420 CPU in my pc, what GPU should i get ? I was thinking about getting a gtx 750 ti or a gt1030. I'm planning to upgrade the CPU to a Core 2 Quad Q9650. So is a gtx750 ti or a gt1030 suited for my computer or should i get another GPU.

If someone wants to say that it will be better to build a new pc , I don't want to build another PC.

Sorry for my bad english.

4 minutes ago, Andrew297 said:

I have a core 2 duo e6420 CPU in my pc, what GPU should i get ? I was thinking about getting a gtx 750 ti or a gt1030. I'm planning to upgrade the CPU to a Core 2 Quad Q9650. So is a gtx750 ti or a gt1030 suited for my computer or should i get another GPU.

Hi, for these your gaming experience isnt going to change much. Is it a budget issue because the cpu you are upgrading to is over 10 years old. I would highly recommend upgrading to a newer cpu system. You can still get a good deal and the performance gains will be worth it.

edit, I missed the line where you dont want to build a better pc..

Well it aint going to be fun but get a gt1030.

Currently it has an HD2400 PRO thats constantly overheating and reaching 80 degrees when idle , 113 degrees under load. The GT1030 is ok for a q9650 then? Will the CPU bottleneck the GPU badly or not?

1 minute ago, Andrew297 said:

Currently it has an HD2400 PRO thats constantly overheating and reaching 80 degrees when idle , 113 degrees under load. The GT1030 is ok for a q9650 then? Will the CPU bottleneck the GPU badly or not?

The cpu is going to be a bottleneck regardless, the options you listed are over 10 years old. And how is your pc alive at 113 degrees.

So yea, for now just pull the trigger and get a 1030.

You can paint racing stripes on a potato, but it's still going to be a potato.

11 minutes ago, Andrew297 said:

The GT1030 is ok for a q9650 then? Will the CPU bottleneck the GPU badly or not?

The GT1030 is nine years newer than the Q9650, but a 750ti is a better GPU. Whichever one you can find for a low price, just remember that no matter what you buy your PC is already on borrowed time (if it's not already an early 2010s period piece).

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

13 minutes ago, Seb_1 said:

And how is your pc alive at 113 degrees

Back then, thermal protection is best summarized as "lmao". Things were different then.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Dont get the GTX750. I have that one, it sucks.

I sometimes wonder how we went to space on only 4KB RAM, and we cannot fix a simple issue.

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Back then, thermal protection is best summarized as "lmao". Things were different then.

Thermal goes bbrrrr

I sometimes wonder how we went to space on only 4KB RAM, and we cannot fix a simple issue.

1 hour ago, Andrew297 said:

If someone wants to say that it will be better to build a new pc , I don't want to build another PC.

Is this some sort of a joke question? Stuff you are planning to get is basically e-waste status. You really have to know what you are doing with hardware that old,  so it strikes a bit of a surprise you would ask which is better.
You can get used 900 series stuff that would serve you much better that some 750Ti or a laughable 1030...

You better be getting all of your stuff for free or near scrap value or else you are paying too much

57 minutes ago, CheeseOnion said:

Dont get the GTX750. I have that one, it sucks.

It depends on what games you try to play on it...

My HD 6970 is a bit more powerful than this and i am having a blast using it on my 2011 nostalgia PC:

image.thumb.png.0b80f13ae99ed2d9c2c5f195d95e6e35.png

Just stick to games from 2017 and older and you will be fine.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Just stick to games from 2017 and older and you will be fine.

But you have twice the VRAM already 😉

6 minutes ago, CheeseOnion said:

But you have twice the VRAM already 😉

In that case i would recommend games from 2013 and older.

Tomb Raider (2013)

Far Cry 3

Assassin's Creed III (The original, not remastered)

Battlefield 4

Mass Effect 3 (The original, not remastered)

Sleeping Dogs (The original, not remastered)

Grand Theft Auto V

ETC...

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

Just now, Vishera said:

In that case i would recommend games from 2013 and older.

Tomb Raider (2013)

Far Cry 3

Assassin's Creed III (The original, not remastered)

Battlefield 4

Mass Effect 3 (The original, not remastered)

Sleeping Dogs (The original, not remastered)

Grand Theft Auto V

ETC...

GTA V is cutting it real close

I can barely play OSRS on Runelite, even with all the plugins.

But I just need to upgrade my system some day

29 minutes ago, PriitM said:

Is this some sort of a joke question? Stuff you are planning to get is basically e-waste status. You really have to know what you are doing with hardware that old,  so it strikes a bit of a surprise you would ask which is better.
You can get used 900 series stuff that would serve you much better that some 750Ti or a laughable 1030...

You better be getting all of your stuff for free or near scrap value or else you are paying too much

I use this PC to play older games on windows Vista.  I have a better computer as a daily driver

4 minutes ago, Andrew297 said:

I use this PC to play older games on windows Vista.  I have a better computer as a daily driver

Thank god, make sure to say that at the beginning so we dont try to get you a functioning computer. Then yea get the GTX 750 ti as it is better performing.

Just now, Andrew297 said:

A man of culture i see!

I really like my nostalgia PC.

I would go for a 750 Ti

1 hour ago, Andrew297 said:

Oh... crab baskets. 750Ti for sure. And I do beg pardon for the crass comment.

Hi. Sorry for my late reply. What other options I have instead of a 750 ti?