I have a weird issue with ram

kitnoman

I can't wrap my head around it. It's happening to the old pc my son is using. He went to clean it and when he put it back together, it did not post. Error blinks alternately with CPU and RAM. I found the problem but could really fix it. It's an i5 8400, so for troubleshooting's sake, I remove the gpu. Basically I found the issue is the RAM, when everything's together with the gpu, only one RAM works. It does not matter which slot or which ram, it works. But won't post when 2 rams are inserted. However, if there's no dedicated gpu and I'm just using the igpu of the 8400, the dual ram works. I'm guessing it's a motherboard issue, but I don't know where to start. What do you guys think?

17 minutes ago, Harmsway1283 said:

Have you tried clearing the CMOS? To reset the bios to default settings?

Yes. That's the 1st thing I did, with my first troubleshoot, when the pc stop posting. Did it again when I was able to make it work without gpu. I basically did it for every time I changed the ram configuration.

I have worked with a couple motherboards that made me boot with one stick of RAM (after the initial build) successfully and then shut it down, install the second stick and re-post it.

When he cleaned it, did he take everything out? Including the CPU?

Check the motherboard manual for the exact slots the ram should be in. May be installed in the wrong slots.

4 hours ago, kitnoman said:

I can't wrap my head around it. It's happening to the old pc my son is using. He went to clean it and when he put it back together, it did not post. Error blinks alternately with CPU and RAM. I found the problem but could really fix it. It's an i5 8400, so for troubleshooting's sake, I remove the gpu. Basically I found the issue is the RAM, when everything's together with the gpu, only one RAM works. It does not matter which slot or which ram, it works. But won't post when 2 rams are inserted. However, if there's no dedicated gpu and I'm just using the igpu of the 8400, the dual ram works. I'm guessing it's a motherboard issue, but I don't know where to start. What do you guys think?

check the CPU socket for bent pins..