Computer making buzzing noise but not coming from the GPU

Gurru
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

It really sounds like coil whine. Coil whine doesn't necessarily need to come from the GPU, it's just the most likely component to whine. Motherboards whining isn't that out of the ordinary, my Z170 OC Formula for instance whines like crazy, and PSUs are also possible to have some sort of whine or cause other components to be more likely to whine. Heck, since they moved the power delivery components to the DIMMs themselves, even RAM is now possible to whine (it's far from common, but not unheard of). 

Given the sound location in the video, I'd be thinking it's either the motherboard or one of the RAM sticks making the whining noise. It's not dangerous, I wouldn't worry about it, but if you wanted to know what it is I'd try listening to those components individually. 

I built a computer about a month ago, every time I turn it on it makes a buzzing noise. I've looked into coil whine and it isn't a very high pitched noise, it sounds more like radio static. I have also checked my fans and have confirmed it isn't any of them making this noise. The reason I don't suspect that it is coming from the GPU is the noise is much louder near the top of the computer than the bottom (where the GPU is).

I've attached a video below that may help be able to narrow it down. Is there anything I can do about this?

Specs:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 7900 (Thermalright Peerless Assassin Cooler)

GPU - Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX

PSU - Corsair SF750

MOBO - ROG STRIX X670E-I GAMING WIFI

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaw 32gb CL30 5600 DDR5

Case - NR200

8 minutes ago, Gurru said:

I built a computer about a month ago, every time I turn it on it makes a buzzing noise. I've looked into coil whine and it isn't a very high pitched noise, it sounds more like radio static. I have also checked my fans and have confirmed it isn't any of them making this noise. The reason I don't suspect that it is coming from the GPU is the noise is much louder near the top of the computer than the bottom (where the GPU is).

I've attached a video below that may help be able to narrow it down. Is there anything I can do about this?

Specs:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 7900 (Thermalright Peerless Assassin Cooler)

GPU - Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX

PSU - Corsair SF750

MOBO - ROG STRIX X670E-I GAMING WIFI

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaw 32gb CL30 5600 DDR5

Case - NR200

PSU's can actually have coil whine as well! My Corsair RM750i has it but its not loud enough to notice while gaming or general use, if I open the sidepanel and go close I can hear it.  Remember that Coill Whine is in no way dangerous and it does not affect the longevity of the parts, its just annoying.  I see your PSU is near where you are filming, hold your ear next to the fan and see if its coming from the PSU.  The sound you are experiencing is definitely what coil whine sounds like ( Some are lower pitched, some are higher )  It could obviously be something else, it just sounds like coil whine to me.

It really sounds like coil whine. Coil whine doesn't necessarily need to come from the GPU, it's just the most likely component to whine. Motherboards whining isn't that out of the ordinary, my Z170 OC Formula for instance whines like crazy, and PSUs are also possible to have some sort of whine or cause other components to be more likely to whine. Heck, since they moved the power delivery components to the DIMMs themselves, even RAM is now possible to whine (it's far from common, but not unheard of). 

Given the sound location in the video, I'd be thinking it's either the motherboard or one of the RAM sticks making the whining noise. It's not dangerous, I wouldn't worry about it, but if you wanted to know what it is I'd try listening to those components individually. 

29 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Thank you for responding! That’s what I feared, but it’s not the end of the world. Do you know of any way to muffle the sound (other than turning the fans to 100% haha)? It seems to be much louder out of the back of the case than the front. 

37 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

PSU's can actually have coil whine as well! My Corsair RM750i has it but its not loud enough to notice while gaming or general use, if I open the sidepanel and go close I can hear it.  Remember that Coill Whine is in no way dangerous and it does not affect the longevity of the parts, its just annoying.  I see your PSU is near where you are filming, hold your ear next to the fan and see if its coming from the PSU.  The sound you are experiencing is definitely what coil whine sounds like ( Some are lower pitched, some are higher )  It could obviously be something else, it just sounds like coil whine to me.

Thank you for the response! I checked the PSU first, seems to be completely quiet thankfully, even under load. Good to hear it won’t affect longevity, I was worried about that.

1 minute ago, Gurru said:

Thank you for responding! That’s what I feared, but it’s not the end of the world. Do you know of any way to muffle the sound (other than turning the fans to 100% haha)? It seems to be much louder out of the back of the case than the front. 

The way I've generally done it is just crank up game audio, you could also get a case with better sound isolation. Other than that there's not really anything you can do. 

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed the issue! I undervolted my 7900XTX and the sound went away.

In the AMD Radeon Tuning Software I turned on the automatic Undervolt and the sound no longer happens. Will be testing more with a manual undervolt to see if I get the same effect.