Linux on a Macbook?

Anything I should know before purchasing a Macbook pro exclusively for linux use?

• Are there certain OS' that don't play nice with Apple hardware?
  • Anyone had issues when trying to do something similar?
  • Quality of life improvements you suggest?
  • Do you know of software packages that help improve the magic touch pad experience?

Let me know your thoughts.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

8 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

Macbook pro exclusively for linux use?

Intel Or Arm (M1) ones if Arm WHY?

You'd need an old Intel mac given there is no fully working alternative OS that supports Apple Silicon yet, the closest you can get is Asahi Linux.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You'd need an old Intel mac given there is no fully working alternative OS that supports Apple Silicon yet, the closest you can get is Asahi Linux.

Okay, that's good because I am looking at getting a macbook older than 2020 just to save a buck.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

4 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

Okay, that's good because I am looking at getting a macbook older than 2020 just to save a buck.

Then of course your average disclaimer that Mac OS on Intel is going to be pretty spotty in the future as developer drops it in favor of full time ARM mac development. But yeah besides Asahi, youre SOL on M chip Linux right now.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Then of course your average disclaimer that Mac OS on Intel is going to be pretty spotty in the future as developer drops it in favor of full time ARM mac development.

...and even macOS 13 already supports only a couple years back of Intel Macs (around 2017 or so for most models): The end seems to be sooner, rather than later.

Razer Blade 14 (RZ09-0508x): AMD Ryzen 9 8945HS, nVidia GeForce RTX 4070, 64 GB 5200 DDR5, Win11 Pro [Workhorse/Gaming]

Apple MacBook Pro 14 (A2442): Apple M1 Pro APU (8 Core), 16 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3 [Creative Rig]

Samsung GalaxyBook Pro (NP930QDB-KF4CA): Intel Core i7-1165G7, 16 GB DDR4, Win11 Pro [WinTablet]

HP Envy 15-k257ca: Intel Core i5 5200U, nVidia GeForce 840M, 16GB 1600 DDR3, Win7 Pro [Retro]

Toshiba Satellite A70-S2591:  Intel Pentium 4 538, ATI Radeon 9000 IGP, 1.5 GB DDR RAM, WinXP Pro [Antique]

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I have a 2008 MacBook Pro, and it runs Linux Mint just fine. Just because Apple drops support for older Macs doesn't mean you can't still use them for Linux and legacy software. For instance, PowerPC software for Mac OS X is notoriously difficult to get working on ARM64 Macs, but these older amd64 Macs with NVIDIA GPUs are able to run them, provided they are running Mac OS X 10.6. If GNU/Linux or even Windows is your goal, you are in good hands, so long as you have a model with upgradable RAM and storage.

On 4/15/2023 at 2:03 PM, Smithfield said:

Actually, I have a 2008 MacBook Pro, and it runs Linux Mint just fine. Just because Apple drops support for older Macs doesn't mean you can't still use them for Linux and legacy software. For instance, PowerPC software for Mac OS X is notoriously difficult to get working on ARM64 Macs, but these older amd64 Macs with NVIDIA GPUs are able to run them, provided they are running Mac OS X 10.6. If GNU/Linux or even Windows is your goal, you are in good hands, so long as you have a model with upgradable RAM and storage.

I think this was mostly mentioned as a caveat, should the person find themselves wanting to use macOS at any point in the future.

Razer Blade 14 (RZ09-0508x): AMD Ryzen 9 8945HS, nVidia GeForce RTX 4070, 64 GB 5200 DDR5, Win11 Pro [Workhorse/Gaming]

Apple MacBook Pro 14 (A2442): Apple M1 Pro APU (8 Core), 16 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3 [Creative Rig]

Samsung GalaxyBook Pro (NP930QDB-KF4CA): Intel Core i7-1165G7, 16 GB DDR4, Win11 Pro [WinTablet]

HP Envy 15-k257ca: Intel Core i5 5200U, nVidia GeForce 840M, 16GB 1600 DDR3, Win7 Pro [Retro]

Toshiba Satellite A70-S2591:  Intel Pentium 4 538, ATI Radeon 9000 IGP, 1.5 GB DDR RAM, WinXP Pro [Antique]