Bend Pin in Pcie Slot | Is It A Threat?

Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,
2 hours ago, K.a.l said:

that one pin at the far 

upper left isnt in its hole.. you see. its right there. but its like being in the middle of the slot. my fear is that i might break it if i wasnt careful...

can i put my nvme adapter in there?? will it be fine?? it wont hurt my ssd right?? losing data or corrupted data. or just burnt ssd

.... its pcie 2.0 but im lookin for a full atx mobo for my 3770. its not that pricy over here but i spent all my savings on my new 1660 super.... so im just tryna use my ssd ... itll hv speeds of 400MBPS instead of 3000MBPS... should i just get a mobo and get the hell out of the mess?? or just a cheap sata ssd for now??

i wonder what if i keep my nvme in drawer and not use it while finding out later that it was defective. i ve hmused it for 2days worth if power on time..  so i think im good... 

Untitled (2).png

Untitled.png

Still can't see what's you're talking about there's no pin anywhere there...

Anyway any NVMe drive in a PCie3 x1 slot will run like crap and not really better than a SATA drive (985MB/sec to 750..), the whole idea don't really work for you

You have 2 other slots if you fear the third won't work, and even if it doesn't work it can't damage anything

Here it goes. i was trying to plug my nvme to pciex4 adapter into pcie x1 slot ( my mobo has one x16 for gpu and 3 x1 pcie slots only). so i had to cut off the ending plastic of the x1 slot in order to seat-in my adapter. the problem is, im scared!

one of the far-right pin in the pcie x1 slot apears to hv gotten out of the way.

its sort of in the middle of the slot. it got pushed to its place once i tried an old gpu in that slot just to make sure it wont break etc.

I worry what if i seat-in my adapter and somhow it bends the pin to the point that it touches the other pins. ive read that its a data pin not the power pin(power pins are on the left side of the notch right??)

The issue:

i once seated my r5 240 gpu into it to see if it will break the mobo. but nothing happened on the first boot.. but then god knows what had i done- pc started 3 beeps on POST.. then i removed the CMOS battery and on the next boot, it gave 5 beeps. i googled it while it  scared the sh*t outta me and i figured out that the 3 beeps had to do something w the ram. i reseated the ram & CMOS and it was fine. maybe while double checking the mobo 24pin connector- i had mistouched the ram sticks?? idk. it was fine. but til this day i never used that pcie x1 slot again... on tomorrow i doublechecked the pins, they were fine- away from eachother... that one pin was a little in the middle of the slot, but it just gets pushed to the side where its supposed to be when i seat something into it. now it gave me OCD.... damn

my fear is what if that pin someday touches with the other pins in the slot... what will happen? can anyone tell me? will it kill my nvme along the adapter? (adapter has a capacitor to it too... ik im dumb:(  )

or will it just tell me that my nvme drive is not found- just like other storage device w improper connection. 

my nvme is new to me so i cant risk killing it or losing the data onto it in case of a bad contact of pins. 

long story short: what will happen if pcie pins touched/collided with eachother. the pins at the most right side(toward the frontpanel of my pc)

its b75 dell mobo w 3770.

my adapter is pcie x4

the slot is x1

i had to remove the plastic from the right side of the x1 slot in order to seat-in this x4 adapter. or else it wouldnt....

thank u for reading me... 

Post a pic pls 😛 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, K.a.l said:

ive read that its a data pin not the power pin(power pins are on the left side of the notch right??)

Look up a PCIe pinout diagram, you can find them online. Or post a pic so we can look at it for you

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

that one pin at the far 

upper left isnt in its hole.. you see. its right there. but its like being in the middle of the slot. my fear is that i might break it if i wasnt careful...

can i put my nvme adapter in there?? will it be fine?? it wont hurt my ssd right?? losing data or corrupted data. or just burnt ssd

.... its pcie 2.0 but im lookin for a full atx mobo for my 3770. its not that pricy over here but i spent all my savings on my new 1660 super.... so im just tryna use my ssd ... itll hv speeds of 400MBPS instead of 3000MBPS... should i just get a mobo and get the hell out of the mess?? or just a cheap sata ssd for now??

i wonder what if i keep my nvme in drawer and not use it while finding out later that it was defective. i ve hmused it for 2days worth if power on time..  so i think im good... 

Untitled (2).png

Untitled.png

2 hours ago, K.a.l said:

that one pin at the far 

Untitled (2).png

Untitled.png

Anyway any NVMe drive in a PCie3 x1 slot will run like crap and not really better than a SATA drive (985MB/sec to 750..), the whole idea don't really work for you

You have 2 other slots if you fear the third won't work, and even if it doesn't work it can't damage anything

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

6 hours ago, PDifolco said:

yeah i think youre right. I'd just be better off with some sata ssd cuz its pcie 2.0 x1.... also thanks for answering my curiousity: that it wont damage anything but it just wont work... i was scared af. have a great day to yu and everything who reads this!