Weird peaks during load

kinglevel

Hello

Long story kinda-short..

*After my PSU decided to explode with a small bang, i made the decision to swap it.

*All booted fine, but after a while the machine started to abruptly automatically turn off.
*I suspected that the motherboard was fried from a peak from the broken PSU, so i also swapped the MB.
*With new MB and also PSU, the same automatic turn off happens again (I am starting to suspect the cooling)

And lo and behold, under a load test i discover this:

Load Graph

I have manually set all fans to maximum, but these peaks are happening at random.

Any ideas?

your graph has no numbers so we can't know if it's normal or not. it's fine for things to heat up if it's bellow 100C

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

6 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

your graph has no numbers so we can't know if it's normal or not. it's fine for things to heat up if it's bellow 100C

peak was at roughly 80.

It is ok, yes, but i have never seen temps jump that high for brief moments

2 minutes ago, kinglevel said:

peak was at roughly 80.

It is ok, yes, but i have never seen temps jump that high for brief moments

temps always rise sharply when load is applied. almost a 1 to 1 with the load % graph actually.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

6 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

temps always rise sharply when load is applied. almost a 1 to 1 with the load % graph actually.

But these peaks are in the middle of the load test and not when load is applied.

Load is applied 100% and then temps are skyrocketing at random during the load.

2 minutes ago, kinglevel said:

But these peaks are in the middle of the load test and not when load is applied.

Load is applied 100% and then temps are skyrocketing at random during the load.

you clicking test doesn't mean the load is instantly applied. there might be a loading time getting the test in ram before the CPU starts working. there might be lower and higher intensity parts to the test.

and windows doesn't report usage in a way that is related to the amount of calculations happening. it's more like it's telling you if the queues are occupied or not.

if you have monitoring software like HW_monitor or HW64 you'll see they tell you how much power you're CPU estimates it's pulling at each moment. this is much more closely correlated to the actual computational load.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

You're probably being distracted from the real problem. Squinty is right. Do you have spare parts or another computer to test stuff with? If so, try swapping the CPU and RAM separately. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂