Motherboard Bios Question

EJOE
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

If you really want to make sure, get a Z390 board. Z390 is guaranteed to have BIOS support for 9000 series CPUs. 

I just have a quick question. I've been looking around a bit on finding motherboards that have the correct bios and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. I have an Intel Core I9 9900k. I was wondering how i can be sure that whatever motherboard I get will have the correct bios. Does this mean I just need to find an LGA 1151 motherboard built a year or so after the CPU?

This may be a dumb question, but I just want to make sure because I don't have an old cpu that I can use to flash a new board.

Thanks!

If you really want to make sure, get a Z390 board. Z390 is guaranteed to have BIOS support for 9000 series CPUs. 

10 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Good to know. I’ll probably be going this route. Thank you!

Technically you can use even a z170 board to run 9th gen with a simple bios mod and pad mod (bridge SKTOCC to vss either on the cpu pads or superio chip) but lets just ignore that for now

Z370 will also support 9th gen, as for bios updating you simply ask the seller if bios is updated or not and find ones that have been updated to run 9th gen

If z390 isnt that much more expensive just go z390

But if you are paying >100$ for a z370/390 sell the damn 9900k for whatever its worth (somewhere around 150-200$) and get a 5600/5700x + used b3/450 combo instead, similar price but you get better power efficiency and better performance

11 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Technically you can use even a z170 board to run 9th gen with a simple bios mod and pad mod (bridge SKTOCC to vss either on the cpu pads or superio chip) but lets just ignore that for now

Z370 will also support 9th gen, as for bios updating you simply ask the seller if bios is updated or not and find ones that have been updated to run 9th gen

But if you are paying >100$ for a z370/390 sell the damn 9900k for whatever its worth (somewhere around 150-200$) and get a 5600/5700x + used b3/450 combo instead, similar price but you get better power efficiency and better performance

Agreed, thank you!

11 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I actually got the 9900k at an extreme discount from my buddy. I was thinking of doing a mini ITX build. Depends on board cost.

3 hours ago, EJOE said:

I actually got the 9900k at an extreme discount from my buddy. I was thinking of doing a mini ITX build. Depends on board cost.

You can still sell the thing for a profit in that case and definitely go ryzen for an itx build since theyll run cooler and be more power efficient

19 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

You can still sell the thing for a profit in that case and definitely go ryzen for an itx build since theyll run cooler and be more power efficient

I will keep that in mind. thanks!