i9-12900k and 7900xtx still crashing

ExtremelyDrunk_AMA

What should be a top of the line system, craps out within minutes of load in some, but not all games. Casual browsing, YouTube, Rocket League, and Red Dead Redemption 2 run fine, along with some older games, namely Company of Heroes 2 (modded) and CIV V (also modded). Cyberpunk 2077 seems to crash relatively quickly, as so far I am unable to get past the Arasaka checkpoint ambush with the Nomad playstyle without the game crashing.  Witcher 3 cant get out of the combat tutorial. Crashes of the game do not crash the PC, just the game. I've also had similar issues with some of the Ubisoft Assasin's Creed game but I attributed them to age, not compatibility, 

Full specs

i9-12900K

ASUS Prime Z690-P WiFi

G. Skill 32GB DDR5-6000 RGB

Using 2x Samsung 980ssds, a corsair 150x AIO watercooler, and a corsair airflow 4000x case and a 1000w PSW with Win10. Drivers are all updated today as if 3/30/23.

Just now, ExtremelyDrunk_AMA said:

What should be a top of the line system, craps out within minutes of load in some, but not all games. Casual browsing, YouTube, Rocket League, and Red Dead Redemption 2 run fine, along with some older games, namely Company of Heroes 2 (modded) and CIV V (also modded). Cyberpunk 2077 seems to crash relatively quickly, as so far I am unable to get past the Arasaka checkpoint ambush with the Nomad playstyle without the game crashing.  Witcher 3 cant get out of the combat tutorial. Crashes of the game do not crash the PC, just the game. I've also had similar issues with some of the Ubisoft Assasin's Creed game but I attributed them to age, not compatibility, 

Full specs

i9-12900K

ASUS Prime Z690-P WiFi

Using 2x Samsung 980ssds, a corsair 150x AIO watercooler, and a corsair airflow 4000x case and a 1000w PSW with Win10. Drivers are all updated today as if 3/30/23.

Hello!

Please tell us what you mean by "crashing".

Are you referring to a bsod, or a complete instant shutdown of your pc?

If its a bsod, please provide us the error code of the bsod, by making a picture when it happens.

If the latter, it might very well be your cpu reaching tJunction temps, or many other things.

More info would help 🙂

Complete game crash, but yet windows is unaffected.Thus far I have no error code to offer, as most times the internal game error reporter window comes up but it seems to be constant issue.

The UBI games tend to require force-restart but so far Cyberpunk has been more accommodating,

2 questions:

What gpu? I don't see this stated in your post.

No judging, but are you overclocking? Many games tend to not appreciate overclocking, and start behaving like this if you do.

33 minutes ago, ShadowDog said:

2 questions:

No judging, but are you overclocking? Many games tend to not appreciate overclocking, and start behaving like this if you do.

it cleary states in the title of this post the gpu. Its a 7900xtx.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

33 minutes ago, ShadowDog said:

2 questions:

And Games are fine with overclocking, even if the person was overclocking, Windows would also crash. The game is only crashing so the gpu clocks and whatnot are fine.

My First PC
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

13 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

And Games are fine with overclocking, even if the person was overclocking, Windows would also crash. The game is only crashing so the gpu clocks and whatnot are fine.

It is very well known, that many games, especially games with anti cheats like battleye aswell as EAC, tend to crash with overclocks.

OP are asking for advice from people, and i am giving that advice.

To OP: please try to play the games without overclocking any component in your pc, if you are, and see if they still crash.

10 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

it cleary states in the title of this post the gpu. Its a 7900xtx.

Ah my bad, i missed that 😄

1 hour ago, ExtremelyDrunk_AMA said:

Full specs

i9-12900K

ASUS Prime Z690-P WiFi

Any OC/undervolt on CPU or GPU ?

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, ExtremelyDrunk_AMA said:

Full specs

i9-12900K

ASUS Prime Z690-P WiFi

What PSU 1000W (model?) 7900XTX (reference or what model?). I have had some issues with my 7900XT. Check if seating in PCI-e slot is ok. Also make sure your ram is stable. You can try on auto without XMP enabled in BIOS just to make sure thats not the issue. You can also check if its a driver issue. Use DDU in safe mode. (disable windows driver installation inside DDU's options menu) Check both.

After booting into safe mode, run clean and shutdown (for installing new GPU):

image.thumb.png.ae382573170ddea693a1f09be840e1bb.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 hour ago, ShadowDog said:

Ah my bad, i missed that 😄

all fine, we all miss things.

My First PC

1 hour ago, ShadowDog said:

It is very well known, that many games, especially games with anti cheats like battleye aswell as EAC, tend to crash with overclocks.

OP are asking for advice from people, and i am giving that advice.

To OP: please try to play the games without overclocking any component in your pc, if you are, and see if they still crash.

really? From my experiences (with a 2060 OC) If I overclock too far the whole thing freezes.

My First PC

• 2 weeks later...

I chased my tail on the exact same issue for awhile. 12900k 7900xtx did all of everybody’s recommendations, fresh installs, nothing helped. 

ended up fixing it. 
Low level reformat, minimal AMD driver install. NEVER INSTALL ADRENALINE ON THE NEW INSTALL it is truly irreversible. Even a non-low level format fresh install didn’t fix it after I got it stable on a minimum driver install and then tried to install adrenaline. Did another low level reformat, minimal install. Working great, just can’t install adrenaline again.