Installing an OS onto a Laptop without access to another device

WnDTech
Go to solution Solved by OhioYJ,

Have a friend, family member, neighbor, create the USB drive for you real quick? 

random question, but is there a way to install windows without access to another computer to download an ISO?

I have gone through a few scenarios in my head, but all ultimately need another device to either get the windows ISO onto USB, or a live CD to then download Windows to ISO and then USB from that, I just can't think of a single way to install windows on a blank drive without at least another device.

I would love to know if it is possible.

i think you can purchase a USB stick from amazon/newegg, etc that is already setup. but otherwise no, there is no magical way to create an ISO out of nothing.

4 minutes ago, WnDTech said:

random question, but is there a way to install windows without access to another computer to download an ISO?

I have gone through a few scenarios in my head, but all ultimately need another device to either get the windows ISO onto USB, or a live CD to then download Windows to ISO and then USB from that, I just can't think of a single way to install windows on a blank drive without at least another device.

I would love to know if it is possible.

If it's a blank drive and no access to another pc, then no.

You need to get the ISO from somewhere on a USB or DVD.

If you're using a company network, you could use network boot, but this needs to be configured on a server.

I know the answer already, but I am interested to see if some smart person has managed to figure out a way! 

@Naijin No this is a home device so no PXE boot option. although that would still require another device so might aswell just download the ISO.

@matt0725 I was actually not aware you could even do that ? but doing it this way means purchasing another copy of windows. 

1 minute ago, matt0725 said:

this is one i found on amazon without a key included: https://www.amazon.com/Bootable-Flash-Windows-Install-Repair/dp/B09C8LJW7M/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=windows+10+usb+installer&qid=1680096707&sprefix=windows+10+USB%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-3

It still is fairly pricey for a 16gb USB drive but its an option

Is that even Legal ?

i mean i wouldn't really trust putting on a system from some unknown place into a new system. but it is an option, just not a very good one.

2 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Have a friend, family member, neighbor, create the USB drive for you real quick? 

Most likely the only sensible option I could think of too.

Only way I can think of is partition the designated drive, use an iso mounting tool ?

if the computer already has a os then go to this.. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

what you will do is instead of making a iso usb you will be given a option to upgrade keeping your files or delete if you want (no usb needed) 

but if the computer has no os on it then idk

48 minutes ago, WnDTech said:

Most likely the only sensible option I could think of too.

That means, then, that you have access to another PC.  Which goes against your original question.

21 hours ago, Erioch said:

That means, then, that you have access to another PC.  Which goes against your original question.

No that's not true, it's not a device you own. and you may not have access to it, but they might be able to do it for you.

21 hours ago, sixpi0dnine said:

if the computer already has a os then go to this.. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

what you will do is instead of making a iso usb you will be given a option to upgrade keeping your files or delete if you want (no usb needed) 

but if the computer has no os on it then idk

This is not an option, although not stated in my OP, it is a new drive completely void of anything.

1 hour ago, WnDTech said:

No that's not true, it's not a device you own. and you may not have access to it, but they might be able to do it for you.

That's what access means.  I have access to the books in a library but I don't own them.

23 hours ago, Erioch said:

I believe you where the one that stated Access originally?

The Original reply stated nothing about access. your reply to that comment was the first mention of access.

Either way, back to my OP.

having someone do it for you might be the best solution.

28 minutes ago, WnDTech said:

I believe you where the one that stated Access originally?

The Original reply stated nothing about access. your reply to that comment was the first mention of access.

Either way, back to my OP.

having someone do it for you might be the best solution.

I mean, did you forget your original post?  It's still up there:

" but is there a way to install windows without access to another computer"

47 minutes ago, Erioch said:

I mean, did you forget your original post?  It's still up there:

" but is there a way to install windows without access to another computer"

"without access to another computer"

Ok ok, here we go. you said "Access" means you have access to a device and are able to use it yourself , however my point is still a valid one, since I stated "without" access, meaning the comment by the other poster was still correct in that you could get someone else to create one for you.

To clarify to you in case you forgot what you posted.

Posts In order

OhioYJ - Have a friend, family member, neighbor, create the USB drive for you real quick

My Reply - Most likely the only sensible option I could think of too.

Your ReplyThat means, then, that you have access to another PC.  Which goes against your original question.

My ReplyNo that's not true, it's not a device you own. and you may not have access to it, but they might be able to do it for you.

Your ReplyThat's what access means.  I have access to the books in a library but I don't own them.

My Reply

• I believe you where the one that stated Access originally?
  • The Original reply stated nothing about access. your reply to that comment was the first mention of access.
  • Either way, back to my OP.
  • having someone do it for you might be the best solution.

Your Reply

• I mean, did you forget your original post?  It's still up there:
  • " but is there a way to install windows without access to another computer"

19 hours ago, Erioch said:

That's a lot of words.

Copy and paste is a wonderful thing!