[Looking for feedback/help] New build 13700k

Tamarit

Hi everyone,

I wanted to get some input on the build I am planning. Been 8 years since I did any building so I have a lot to catch up. 
Any feedback is welcome! 

Budget (including currency): About 2800 euros

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming (bit of everything) 1440p, coding - training AI/ML, video editing (sometimes)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Case: Fractal North

Processor: Intel 13700K

Mobo: Asus Z690 ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI

RAM:  Corsair DIMM 32 GB DDR5-5600 Kit x2

Cooler: TBD - need input

GPU: potentially 4070 TI also input welcome

PSU: be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 11 1000W

M2: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Just now, Tamarit said:

Hi everyone,

I wanted to get some input on the build I am planning. Been 8 years since I did any building so I have a lot to catch up. 
Any feedback is welcome! 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming (bit of everything) 1440p, coding - training AI/ML, video editing (sometimes)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/CgcbbK

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

9 minutes ago, Tamarit said:

Hi everyone,

Any feedback is welcome! 

I see no reason to forego a z790 motherboard other than price/availability, there are features you'd otherwise miss out on with a 13th gen.

Z790 Chipset: More I/O Than Z690, But Same Performance - Intel Core i9-13900K and i5-13600K Review: Raptor Lake Brings More Bite (anandtech.com)

Mostly PCIe bandwidth, something that might come into play with PCIe 5.0 M.2 drives and direct storage API.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

1 minute ago, Agall said:

I see no reason to forego a z790 motherboard other than price/availability, there are features you'd otherwise miss out on with a 13th gen.

Fair enough, the challenge was that the z790 felt a bit too steep of a price change. And to be honest I got lost with the comparisons between Mobos.
I went with Asus because my previous experience was good, other than that... Any suggestions?
I also was divided on AIO cooler or a "normal" air cooler since the case has certain limitations.

Just now, Tamarit said:

Fair enough, the challenge was that the z790 felt a bit too steep of a price change. And to be honest I got lost with the comparisons between Mobos.
I went with Asus because my previous experience was good, other than that... Any suggestions?
I also was divided on AIO cooler or a "normal" air cooler since the case has certain limitations.

The major difference between an AIO and a tower cooler, from my experience in testing between high end models of both on a 5800x3D and 7950x3D, is really the fan curve.

Unless you're looking at 3D v-cache (which you're not), the major difference is that the air cooler will have a more aggressive fan curve. If you compare for instance the EKWB 280mm elite AIO versus a Noctua NH-D15 (I'm choosing those for a reason) they both use 2x140mm fans and have about the same in terms of volume when comparing two 140mm towers to a 280mm radiator.

The major difference in terms of performance (beside that 3D v-cache seems to love the lower operating temperature of water in an AIO versus the assumingly higher operating temperature of the saturated fluid in a heat pipe) was that you can run an AIO at a constantly lower speed versus an air cooler which should ramp up and down.

The major advantage of something like the NH-D15 is the cost, which is about half the cost of a quality AIO. It also doesn't dry out or fail over time, and Noctua does a great job at supporting future sockets, so the probability of reusing it is high. Just have to make sure the motherboard spaces the first PCIe 16x slot off one, which most ATX/EATX motherboards do for that very reason. Otherwise NH-U12 being the 120mm model will fit any motherboard that doesn't have weird stuff like the X570 Impact's SODIMM.2.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

5 minutes ago, Agall said:

The major difference between an AIO and a tower cooler, from my experience in testing between high end models of both on a 5800x3D and 7950x3D, is really the fan curve.

Unless you're looking at 3D v-cache (which you're not), the major difference is that the air cooler will have a more aggressive fan curve. If you compare for instance the EKWB 280mm elite AIO versus a Noctua NH-D15 (I'm choosing those for a reason) they both use 2x140mm fans and have about the same in terms of volume when comparing two 140mm towers to a 280mm radiator.

The major difference in terms of performance (beside that 3D v-cache seems to love the lower operating temperature of water in an AIO versus the assumingly higher operating temperature of the saturated fluid in a heat pipe) was that you can run an AIO at a constantly lower speed versus an air cooler which should ramp up and down.

The major advantage of something like the NH-D15 is the cost, which is about half the cost of a quality AIO. It also doesn't dry out or fail over time, and Noctua does a great job at supporting future sockets, so the probability of reusing it is high. Just have to make sure the motherboard spaces the first PCIe 16x slot off one, which most ATX/EATX motherboards do for that very reason. Otherwise NH-U12 being the 120mm model will fit any motherboard that doesn't have weird stuff like the X570 Impact's SODIMM.2.

Wow! Thank you very much for the reply!

Just watched a European YT channel (forgot the name), in which he tested 20 air coolers against a T- Force AIO. The D15 performed relatively poorly, being halfway down the list and beaten by the U12A, U14L. Some DCs including the 620, and the TR Peerless Assassin. 

You have to take it with a grain of salt because he did it all on an item yet bench instead of in a case. Even just opening the left panel changes airflow and temp based on my testing the last 2 weeks. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

1 hour ago, Tamarit said:

Hi everyone,

Any feedback is welcome! 

Definitely can fit a 4070Ti into the budget. I also put in 64GB of RAM, since I think that's what you put you were going for. For the cooler, definitely recommend air cooling, so you don't have to worry about any pumps or leaks or anything like that. I also added 2 140mm Noctua fans for the front of the case (which should be mounted as intake fans btw). 🙂 

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/KyGL3y

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  (€456.96 @ Galaxus) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  (€119.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€333.33 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL30 Memory  (€258.99 @ Alternate) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€129.91 @ Galaxus) 
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card  (€906.99 @ Caseking) 
Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case  (€196.89 @ Alternate) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i (2022) 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€199.90 @ Alza) 
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan  (€27.90 @ Alza) 
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan  (€27.90 @ Alza) 
€2658.67

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

3 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

Definitely can fit a 4070Ti into the budget. I also put in 64GB of RAM, since I think that's what you put you were going for. For the cooler, definitely recommend air cooling, so you don't have to worry about any pumps or leaks or anything like that. I also added 2 140mm Noctua fans for the front of the case (which should be mounted as intake fans btw). 🙂 

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/KyGL3y

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  (€456.96 @ Galaxus) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  (€119.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€333.33 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL30 Memory  (€258.99 @ Alternate) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€129.91 @ Galaxus) 
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card  (€906.99 @ Caseking) 
Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case  (€196.89 @ Alternate) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i (2022) 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€199.90 @ Alza) 
€2658.67

Really cool, thanks! Could I ask some questions? 
Are there big differences between MSI or Asus? 
Better two 140mm than three 120mm for the front intake? Is this a case of less number is more?

Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, Tamarit said:

Really cool, thanks! Could I ask some questions? 
Are there big differences between MSI or Asus? 
Better two 140mm than three 120mm for the front intake? Is this a case of less number is more?

Thanks again!

MSI usually has more fan headers and better initial setup. I personally usually go with MSI for their overall compatibility, but you also have to look at the rear I/O ports too, and make sure they have what you need before you buy. Sometimes MSI has more, but sometimes ASUS has better but less quantity (USB 2.0 vs 3.0, USB-C, etc.) The speed on the ports can definitely matter too.

Depends on the airflow, but I would probably recommend the 2 140mm fans over 3 120mm fans. There's also less of a chance (or worry) for PSU cables to get too close to the bottom fan when there's 3 120mm fans at the front (I usually remove the HDD cage on my cases before building).

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

6 hours ago, Tamarit said:

Do you want the build to be aesthetically around north? I love it a lot but im also into insanely expensive and esoteric case so if its not exactly something youre hard pressed on i could do an alternate build laser focused on only guts and how to cool them.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.