Sorry a general hardware question, no right cat. for it.

Edward78

My coputer sometimes make a mechanical snore (best description) sound, it did it with a old mechanical HDD. Though it was that, just 2 SSDs, a ODD, gpu with 2 fans, a SFX & CP cooler fan. It sounds like a bad spot on a HDD, but none are in the sys. I never smell any smoke or anything, I didn't think a fan would make that sound. Plus, it would happen a lot more with a fan right? No DVD is in my ODD, so that is not it.

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

5 minutes ago, Edward78 said:

My coputer sometimes make a mechanical snore (best description) sound, it did it with a old mechanical HDD. Though it was that, just 2 SSDs, a ODD, gpu with 2 fans, a SFX & CP cooler fan. It sounds like a bad spot on a HDD, but none are in the sys. I never smell any smoke or anything, I didn't think a fan would make that sound. Plus, it would happen a lot more with a fan right? No DVD is in my ODD, so that is not it.

take out your hard drive and see if that does anything for the noise. Also check with taking the gpu out and just turning on the computer. maybe unplug your fans

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

3 minutes ago, Edward78 said:

My coputer sometimes make a mechanical snore (best description) sound,

When was the last time you put your computer to sleep? /s

It might help if you are able to record the sound with a mic or using a smartphone then include the audio clip in the post. 

Unplug the disc drive from the system and see if that fixes it. Check to make sure the fans aren't rubbing on anything like loose cables.

Btw Troubleshooting is the section for "my computer has a problem".

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

When was the last time you put your computer to sleep? /s

It might help if you are able to record the sound with a mic or using a smartphone then include the audio clip in the post. 

Unplug the disc drive from the system and see if that fixes it. Check to make sure the fans aren't rubbing on anything like loose cables.

Btw Troubleshooting is the section for "my computer has a problem".

The HDD is mot in the sys anymore. I just have 2 SSDs & a ODD as far as drives. Odd sound if it is a fan rubbing on a cable.

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

Have a recording, the first bit is me moving the phone.

computer sound.amr

This sounds like your fans are fluctuating,  spinning at a variable speed and may be failing. Boot into Setup (Bios) and go to PC Health or some such and check the Fan Speeds to see if they are fluctuating. 

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on any volunteer's post to thank them if they helped .(lower left, just to the right of My Computer )

On 3/29/2023 at 4:36 PM, spunk.funk said:

This sounds like your fans are fluctuating,  spinning at a variable speed and may be failing. Boot into Setup (Bios) and go to PC Health or some such and check the Fan Speeds to see if they are fluctuating. 

Odd it sounds like a mechanical snore.  It sound like A HDD hitting  a bad spot & I thought that was it, until it got taken out. Think it is the PSU, CPU & GPU fans are always running, PSU only cools when it needs to & that sound only happens sommetimes. Still odd soundfor a fan to make. PSU was only bout in '20, still newish.