Good external blu-ray drive for ripping DVDs to be used with Jellyfin

PowerPCFan
Go to solution Solved by whispous,
Just now, PowerPCFan said:

I am planning on:

using the drive to rip the dvd, using MakeMKV

using VLC to play the MkV and make sure it looks good

using HandBrake to compress file size, and maybe convert to MP4 too.

I would be fine opening a support case if I had to. So would the drive I linked in the previous post work good enough? Or is there another name brand or generic drive that anyone would recommend that’s around $120?

I would just go generic and send it back if it didn't work.

I am going to start a Jellyfin server and I need a drive to rip DVDs. I know this is a good one but it’s almost $300. What are some good external drives that are cheaper than this (150-200 dollars) that can read 4K Blu-ray Discs?

thanks for the help!

-PowerPCFan

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

8 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

I am going to start a Jellyfin server and I need a drive to rip DVDs. I know this is a good one but it’s almost $300. What are some good external drives that are cheaper than this (150-200 dollars) that can read 4K Blu-ray Discs?

thanks for the help!

-PowerPCFan

I think you're accidentally look at writers - they'll be costlier. Just search for USB Blu ray  -you'll find a lot of models for $70

Given this is just for ripping, don't bother trying to seek a particular brand. Getting one form amazon should be easily returnable should is be broken on arrival.

2 minutes ago, whispous said:

I think you're accidentally look at writers - they'll be costlier. Just search for USB Blu ray  -you'll find a lot of models for $70

Given this is just for ripping, don't bother trying to seek a particular brand. Getting one form amazon should be easily returnable should is be broken on arrival.

I was maybe going to do some writing, as I do a lot of work with old PowerPC macs, but would this one be better? It’s still a writer and it’s still 4k Blu-ray but cheaper. Or I could just get a nice drive that could only read, which might be better.

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

1 minute ago, PowerPCFan said:

I was maybe going to do some writing, as I do a lot of work with old PowerPC macs, but would this one be better? It’s still a writer and it’s still 4k Blu-ray but cheaper. Or I could just get a nice drive that could only read, which might be better.

It's a non-brand, just a generic name with comodity parts - just be ready to open a support case with amazon if the product doesn't do what it says it does.

Bear in mind, as a side note, you will have to use (usually paid) third party software if you want to play a blu-ray disc from any blu ray drive.

8 minutes ago, whispous said:

It's a non-brand, just a generic name with comodity parts - just be ready to open a support case with amazon if the product doesn't do what it says it does.

Bear in mind, as a side note, you will have to use (usually paid) third party software if you want to play a blu-ray disc from any blu ray drive.

I am planning on:

I would be fine opening a support case if I had to. So would the drive I linked in the previous post work good enough? Or is there another name brand or generic drive that anyone would recommend that’s around $120?

Just now, PowerPCFan said:

I am planning on:

I would just go generic and send it back if it didn't work.

1 hour ago, PowerPCFan said:

thanks for the help!

-PowerPCFan

Why not just get a 20$ dvd rw drive if its only for dvds?

7 hours ago, jaslion said:

Why not just get a 20$ dvd rw drive if its only for dvds?

It has to be USB, it has to support Blu-Ray, and it has to support 4k, and it has to have the firmware for ripping, and it has to be able to read and play 4k blu ray discs. If you can link one that does all of this, that would be great 😀

sorry if this reply is very confusing 😂

-PowerPCFan 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 3:19 PM, PowerPCFan said:

It has to be USB, it has to support Blu-Ray, and it has to support 4k, and it has to have the firmware for ripping, and it has to be able to read and play 4k blu ray discs. If you can link one that does all of this, that would be great 😀

sorry if this reply is very confusing 😂

-PowerPCFan 

I'd recommend checking out the MakeMKV forums as they have a nice guide topic there that list recommended drives that are capable of reading 4k blu-ray discs. Keep in mind some of them may need to be flashed to a different firmware to work fully with MakeMKV. 

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

Desktop: Ryzen 9 7900x, Optimus Foundation waterblock, ASUS ROG B650E-F Gaming Wifi, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL36, 2TB Samsung 980Pro, EVGA RTX3080 XC3 Black Gaming, EVGA SuperNova 1000W P6, 18TB WD Red Pro

Plex Media Server: Ryzen 9 5950x, Noctua NH-D15, ASUS Pro-WS X570-ACE, 96GB ECC DDR4 3200Mhz, EVGA 3060ti XC3 Ultra, EVGA SuperNova 850W G6. 2x 10TB WD Black, 2x 18TB WD Red Pro, 3x UHD friendly blu-ray drives, LSI 9300i-8i SAS card