Problem with overclocking I7-6700k

Hello I have a issue with of some sort that I can't figure out myself after days of trying, I have the I7 at 4.5ghz and the cpu core voltage at 1.31 v ,if I change it at anything above 4.5 it starts giving me blue screen. Even after trying different voltage from 1.24 to 1.4 It doesn't matter it, I'm staying at a stable temps with max 59c under load. I am using msi z170 sli plus. If anybody can suggest any help I would be thankful.

Welcome to the silicon lottery. Some lucky few chips can do 5GHz on air, some can't POST above 4.5GHz. Heck, 6700K I've got is actually horrible, it will not run Cinebench at anything above 4.2GHz (default turbo), so it being able to do 4.5GHz at all is a blessing. 

You might be able to get 4.6GHz depending on what the LLC is set to, it could be you've got 50-100mV of vDroop on the default LLC setting, so setting it to 1.4V in reality is running at 1.3V, and going above 4.5GHz does tend to require a lot of voltage on the chips that can do it. Check what the actual running voltage is in something like HWInfo64 to see if there is a lot of vDroop and raise the voltage accordingly, though it could very well be that your chip just can't do 4.6GHz. 

How do you manage the 59° ? with Water ?

I'm willing to swim against the current.

On 3/24/2023 at 7:51 AM, Pixelar said:

Hello I have a issue with of some sort that I can't figure out myself after days of trying, I have the I7 at 4.5ghz and the cpu core voltage at 1.31 v ,if I change it at anything above 4.5 it starts giving me blue screen. Even after trying different voltage from 1.24 to 1.4 It doesn't matter it, I'm staying at a stable temps with max 59c under load. I am using msi z170 sli plus. If anybody can suggest any help I would be thankful.

Bump up the voltage... you might just have a lazy chip. Make sure you have everything else running stock while you set your core clock. You also might need to add a little system agent voltage IIRC as it was a little quirck of the Z170 chipset.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd