RAM OC capabilities

Hello everyone,

My question is pretty straightforward. My current build has a Ryzen 7600 and a Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX rev 1.1.

I know the sweet spot for RAM is 6000C30, but they are incredibly expensive in my country right now. I've found a good deal on a Corsair Vengeance kit, with the following part number code:

CMK32GX5M2B6000C40

As far as I can tell, this certain kit isn't on the mobo's QVL, but the RGB variant is, which tells me there shouldn't be any issues with it. I know this kit isn't the expo variant, but this would be bought from someone, and not a store, and the discount is too good too pass on. 

My question is, how easy would it be to get this kit to tighter timings? As far as I can tell, this kit would use Samsung chips, which are lagging behind Hynix ones, but again, I am only interested in getting them as close as possible to 6000C30. Most of the opinions I've read are mainly talking about frequency hence the thread.

Thank you so much!

If you run enough voltsge into it you should be able to get 6000 CL30-36-36, though if you don't want to be running a lot of voltage 6000 CL36-36-36 is what you should more expect. 

The reason why Hynix chips are more desired even on Ryzen is that they do significantly tighter timings than Samsung. With the voltage needed to do 6000 CL30 on Samsung you can usually do CL28 or if you're lucky CL26, as well as significantly tighter secondary timings. Samsung works but it's annoying to stabilize and almost entirely worse than Hynix (tRCD is tighter on Samsung, but that's it). 

Also, just saying, if you're gonna put the effort into tuning your RAM, most Ryzen CPUs can clock memory to 6200 without too much trouble if you bump up the SOC voltage. Might as well get the full performance if you're gonna overclock your RAM anyway. 

18 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you run enough voltsge into it you should be able to get 6000 CL30-36-36, though if you don't want to be running a lot of voltage 6000 CL36-36-36 is what you should more expect. 

The reason why Hynix chips are more desired even on Ryzen is that they do significantly tighter timings than Samsung. With the voltage needed to do 6000 CL30 on Samsung you can usually do CL28 or if you're lucky CL26, as well as significantly tighter secondary timings. Samsung works but it's annoying to stabilize and almost entirely worse than Hynix (tRCD is tighter on Samsung, but that's it). 

Also, just saying, if you're gonna put the effort into tuning your RAM, most Ryzen CPUs can clock memory to 6200 without too much trouble if you bump up the SOC voltage. Might as well get the full performance if you're gonna overclock your RAM anyway. 

Thank you for your reply, I read your post in another thread, so hearing from the man himself is good. 

So, in other words, I suppose, given the same price, you could theoretically run a 5200C40 Hynix kit with better timings than the 6000C40 kit and, realistically, reach 6000C32-C30? I don't want to spend 2 days fine tuning the RAM, which is what I suppose the Corsair one will most likely require. 

If that's the case, the Hynix options seems more enticing and I might pass on the Corsair kit (retail 160 $, this guy would be selling it for 120; for 120, I could only get 4800 or 5200 kits). 

I'm just getting tired of looking at so many ram options and having to take into account the prices that are here, it sucks. If I could just find a decently priced Hynix kit, I would jump on it with the first chance.

5 minutes ago, DurDom said:

So, in other words, I suppose, given the same price, you could theoretically run a 5200C40 Hynix kit with better timings than the 6000C40 kit and

Well, it depends. I know first hand that there is some Hynix kits that exist out there that are actually terrible. C36-42-42-28 at 6400 was the limit for one of my kits at 1.4V with pretty loose secondary timings, compared to Samsung DDR5 the timings are actually not that different with the tighter tRCD being the main difference between them (granted, 2 ticks on tRCD is not gonna be anywhere close to a noticeable difference, but it's a difference nonetheless). That was a 5200 CL40 Vengeance kit. Granted, it still does DDR5 7000 without much of a fuss and kits that do as loose timings as that are very much a rarity, where even green PCB sticks tend to do better than that kit, but just figured I might as well mention that going for a super low bin Hynix kit doesn't guarantee that it would be better than a 6000 CL40 kit. 

If you do want to see a little more of a practical exploration of it as well as possibly just having a set of timings to more or less copy whether you go Samsung or Hynix, there is this review over on Igorslab with tuned settings for both Hynix and Samsung so you can know roughly how it scales. 

https://www.igorslab.de/en/ryzen-7000-tuning-guide-infinity-fabric-expo-dual-rank-samsung-and-hynix-ddr5-in-practice-test-with-benchmarks-recommendations/8/

22 minutes ago, DurDom said:

I'm just getting tired of looking at so many ram options and having to take into account the prices that are here, it sucks. If I could just find a decently priced Hynix kit, I would jump on it with the first chance.

I don't blame you, RAM is weird. I don't know where you're shopping to know what to recommend though, but getting a half decent Hynix kit isn't super difficult here in the US at least. This kit is likely Hynix, and this kit is guaranteed Hynix, both for under $120, and since they're bins of Hynix memory they should do good timings as well.

Those ram kits are quite more expensive than I would like to pay (180-200 $ range). Upon further searching, I might have settled on the following kit:

KF556C36BBEK2-32

From my searches, this should be a Hynix kit, correct?

Thanks!