Synology NAS - Can I upgrade my drives?

Doogos
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

if you have the drives set up as a mirror (iirc a 2-bay synology can stripe too) you can simply pull one drive, stick an 8TB in, rebuild the array, pull the other drive, stick the other 8TB drive in, rebuild the array, and then expand (i dont think it does that automagically)

I have a Synology NAS set up on my network. It's a great system that I've had very little issues with. However, I am running out of space for the files I have stored.

Current setup:

2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf drives using SHR.

It's my understanding that SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID) provides data redundancy, so theoretically both drives should have the exact same data.

Shown here in Synology's KB

My question is, would it be possible for me to simply pull one of my drives out and replace it with a new 8TB or greater drive, wait for it to sync the entire disc, then replace the other 4TB drive with an identical 8TB or greater drive?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: If I need to post this in the Troubleshooting section, I will delete it and repost there, please just let me know. I'm just not sure since this is just a general question.

if you have the drives set up as a mirror (iirc a 2-bay synology can stripe too) you can simply pull one drive, stick an 8TB in, rebuild the array, pull the other drive, stick the other 8TB drive in, rebuild the array, and then expand (i dont think it does that automagically)

If you set the drives up as a mirror, @manikyathis right. Replace one drive, rebuild, replace the other drive, rebuild, expand.

If you set the drives up as a stripe (RAID 0), then you have to lifeboat your data onto another storage device (not one of the drives you plan to install) then replace both drives and set up from scratch.

Synology has well-written instructions on their knowledge base.

https://kb.synology.com/en-us/DSM/tutorial/how_to_expand_storage

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

55 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

If you set the drives up as a mirror, @manikyathis right. Replace one drive, rebuild, replace the other drive, rebuild, expand.

If you set the drives up as a stripe (RAID 0), then you have to lifeboat your data onto another storage device (not one of the drives you plan to install) then replace both drives and set up from scratch.

Synology has well-written instructions on their knowledge base.

https://kb.synology.com/en-us/DSM/tutorial/how_to_expand_storage

Thank you both. I was hoping that this would be the solution. I found that documentation that @Needfuldoerlinked, but unfortunately some of the wording confused me. I was looking for something exactly as you both sent.

As the others have said, just pop in the new drive, do whatever it says to add it to the pool, wait for it to sync, then pop the second out and in with the new. The drive will sync and the drive pool will expand to the new size