Computer randomly restarts no matter what I do

Donut0324

Ive been fixing and building computers for all of my adult life. I just moved my computer in to a brand new case and now it restarts randomly every 1-15 min. I have tried everything. I swapped out the power supply, CPU, motherboard, GPU, ram, and even disconnected the power switch and jumped it manually just in case the switch was bad. I updated the bios. I played with voltage and clocks and still had the same issue. Seems to not happen when the computer is under load for whatever reason. If anyone has any information it would be very appreciated. I've spent the better part of 4 days trying to fix it and I give up. PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP 

Ryzen 7 5700x (replaced my 7 3700x since I thought the cpu could be the problem)

MSI b550 bazooka (tried a different b550 board and still had the same issue

EVGA rtx 2060 super

8GBx2 3200mhz crucial (swapped with girlfriend ram also made no difference)

600w evga powersupply (swapped with a 550w bronze unit and made no difference)

Have you tried plugging it into a different outlet

Could be getting particularly dirty power causing random resets.

You didnt mention changing software , have you tried a fresh OS install and/or different SSD/HDD

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I have not tried a different outlet. Not a bad idea. My windows install is fresh and i forgot to mention sometime it completely fails to boot at all. It has also boot looped while in bios.

I havent tried a different ssd either but considering it will crash in bios i couldnt see that being the problem

Crashing in BIOS generally means one (or both) of 2 things:

1. your BIOS is corrupt
  2. there's something wrong with the power delivery

The latter seems in order here, have a close look at mounting the mainboard to the case, ensure there are no shorts from the mainboard to the chassis. Take the system out of the chassis on a cardboard surface and try again. Mind, damage may already have occurred to the board, so carefully examine the board while at it for signs of shorts on the bottom.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

So since I tried a completely brand new motherboard I'm going to roll out the possibility of a bad BIOS. The chances of not only my board having a bad BIOS but a brand new one as well are slim to none. I have tried a different power supply that is known good and that also made no difference. The motherboard I am currently using has been in and out 3 times. I have double and triple checked all standoffs are in the correct location. I have examined the board for damage before the last time I put it in and to my eyes I could see no visible damage. At this point I'm at a loss for words. This whole situation is making me question my sanity. 

2 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Crashing in BIOS generally means one (or both) of 2 things:

1. your BIOS is corrupt
  2. there's something wrong with the power delivery

well it can also happen if the board is trying to read data through a bus from a device that isn't functional , thus the bios has no form of error correction and locks up if a device stops responding.

an example would be a bios trying to fetch details about a drive or a network location that is either offline or is faulty. this would happen with old IDE controllers when a drive dies but can basically happen with any controller for any device if the firmware isn't smart enough.

So youre saying even with my ssd not in use and in BIOS it could still cause crashes? 

Just now, Donut0324 said:

So youre saying even with my ssd not in use and in BIOS it could still cause crashes? 

if there was a hardware fault with the ssd then it could cause the firmware to stop responding if it attempts to use the device.

in general , a crash in the bios will be a hardware problem. if you remove the ssd and the machine remains stable then you'll at least have a general idea where the issue is

its a 500gb 970 Evo plus if that means anything I've had it for a year or so. I'm also currently testing the computer on a different breaker to rule out dirty power. 

you can actually do this with any removable device like extra ram / drives / ect... basically swapping parts until the problem stops. wouldn;t hurt to check for bios updates just to be sure.

BIOS update has already been done and ive already swapped out every other part.

1 minute ago, Donut0324 said:

BIOS update has already been done and ive already swapped out every other part.

should also consider building the pc outside of the case

it's not a common problem these days , but some boards/power supplies would have grounding issues in the old days and required cardboard insulators to solve. an oldschool solution to an oldschool problem. but happened mostly when people bought new cases only to discover the case was either more or less electrically conductive than the previous case.

Thanks my computer is now stable. The SSD was somehow bent and im imagining was causing an occasional short. Thanks for your advice and thank you linus sex tips. 

Nevermind my computer just crashed again. Seems like taking the ssd had some impact. I have no idea at this point. Gonna take it all out of the computer and test it on a carboard box. 

So the first picture is me testing with no case now. Still randomly shuts off. Someone please help I have tried every troubleshooting method and swapped out every part possible and it still reboots randomly whenever it wants. The second picture is on the back of the board in between the io and cpu power connector. I don’t know if that is board damage or not. I have tried my system on a completely brand new motherboard and it made no difference. I am my wits end. About to just throw it out the window 

3E2F0E2B-05BE-4BF5-909C-6DE85F621252.jpeg

7E2C2151-A6B1-44D6-B7F4-FBC4D165642E.jpeg

I also get a kernel power 41 error in event viewer every time 

image.jpg