PC restarting randomly

Mattx

My pc will just randomly completely shut off and restarts. This is happening once every 1-2 days now, and is becoming a rather big problem. It doesn’t matter what I’m doing, and doesn’t happen on any specific games.

Currently I have a Ryzen 9 7900x and RTX 3060. I’m wondering if it could be  caused by the rather large bottleneck between them, maybe causing the GPU to be at 100% utilisation and  struggling to keep up with the cpu. This is just a guess though, I don’t really know what else would cause it.

14 minutes ago, Mattx said:

My pc will just randomly completely shut off and restarts. This is happening once every 1-2 days now, and is becoming a rather big problem. It doesn’t matter what I’m doing, and doesn’t happen on any specific games.

Currently I have a Ryzen 9 7900x and RTX 3060. I’m wondering if it could be  caused by the rather large bottleneck between them, maybe causing the GPU to be at 100% utilisation and  struggling to keep up with the cpu. This is just a guess though, I don’t really know what else would cause it.

It can't ( I say can't because the chance is extremely unlikely ) be caused by bottleneck between cpu and gpu.  What are the other parts?  What motherboard, PSU, ram etc?

17 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

It can't ( I say can't because the chance is extremely unlikely )

It's not extremely unlikely, it's impossible for a hardware bottleneck to result in the PC crashing. All a bottleneck does is hurt performance.

32 minutes ago, Mattx said:

Currently I have a Ryzen 9 7900x and RTX 3060. I’m wondering if it could be  caused by the rather large bottleneck between them, maybe causing the GPU to be at 100% utilisation and  struggling to keep up with the cpu.

This is not(technically) a bottleneck, this is normal and ideal. Your GPU should be able to reach 100% utilization.

I'd start by recommending you to run DDU to clean out your drivers, then install a slightly older driver version and see if the issue persists.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Random restart usually comes from RAM (most obvious culprit), unless we speak of sudden power loss (PSU) - check the event viewer. It can be an unstable RAM or it can be a stable RAM but with sticks from different kits. Rule no.1: never ever use RAM from different kits, it will almost certainly lead to system instability (even 1 random restart/year means instability). I'm not saying this is the case here, but in the past I fought with random restarts until I changed the RAM with 2 x DIMM from a single kit.

As it has been already said, bottlenecking does not cause system instability, it is just a performance limit.