CM Storm Trooper Case or Corsair Obsidian 750D Case Which one ?

prochaos

Hi, im torn between these 2 cases, im first choice was in fact Coolermaster Cosmos SE however after reading many reviews and many videos it had its flaws and drawbacks even though its a nice looking case, so ive decided its between these 2. heres by build well what i hope to get, i might end up getting a gtx 780ti sli in the future but im not sure yet. im not to bothered about water cooling but i dont really know at the moment. With my lack of experience in this field i must assume the h100 and internal fans of the cases would be sufficient cooling for the GPY and Mobo

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K
CPU Overclocking: 4.3Ghz - Extreme Overclock
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 Extreme Water Cooler
Operating System: Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper M5
RAM: 16GB Corsair 2133mhz Vengeance Pro (2x8GB)
Hard Drive: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA SSD
Secondary Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s HHD
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB 
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: CM Storm Trooper or Corsair Obsidian 750D (Not sure Yet)
PSU: 750W Corsair RM Fully Modular

The style of the 750d isnt my favorite but it is starting to grow on me and i noticed the front panel isnt mesh will that not disrupt the flow of air from the front 2 fans behind the metal front panel casing ? 
i noticed the storm seem to have an inferior air flow in side and less space than the 750d but i think i do prefer its looks so in my eyes they both have their advantages and drawbacks, any advice from owners ? 
kind regards Elliot

CPU Intel i7 4770K @4.4GHz / CPU Cooler Corsair H105 / Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Hero Intel Z97 / RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 2133MHz / Windows 8.1 / SSD Samsung 250GB 840 EVO / HDD WD Green 2TB / GPU Crossfire Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X OC / CASE Corsair 750D / PSU EVGA SuperNova P2 1000W / FANS 7 x Noctua NF-F12 IndustrialPPC 2000RPM IP67 PWM 120mm / 3 x 140mm / FAN Controller Lamptron FC5V3 / Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2013 / Keyboard Razer Anansi / Headset Steelseries H Wireless / Monitor Samsung S34E790C Curved 21:9

I vote 750D. I also wasn't an enormous fan of the style when I first saw it. But now its one of my favorite cases.

Edit: @prochaos you may want to follow this thread to get notifications when people respond. There is a button in the upper right edge of the screen.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Another vote for the 750D. I prefer the cleaner look. You should look at the 450D, its very similar to the 750D, but has a mesh front panel. The 750D has a gap around the front panel to allow airflow to the front fans, but compared to the mesh panel of the 450D, it might not perform as well (airflow wise)

EDIT: According to your list, your motherboard is MATX. Both of these cases are ATX and will have quite a bit of space around the motherboard, which doesn't look great...

Consider a MATX case like the 350D (similar to the 750D but smaller) for a better looking (and smaller) build.

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

Yeah I have the 750D and love it. The front panel has room on the sides to allow air in through the fans. Runs very cool and my GTX 660 runs at about 25C when the AC is running in my room. Case is amazing.

welcome to the LinusTechTips forums!

@prochaos might look into the 450D as well. i staying with the H100 AIO, the 450D is

a bit smaller, but seems to promote a better air-flow for air cooling your GPU and

lots of ventilation for the H100. but if looking for a second GPU and custom loop,

then the 750D would be a good choice. hardware selection would be key.

Oh thank you for the welcome and for the tip to follow, silly me.

Yeh i noticed the 450D but i like the size of this case and i have the space for it. The Sniper M5 is a micro atx but it has great reviews and seems to be an outstanding motherboard especially with sound, i dont have the funds for its big brother the sniper 5 and its one of 2 choices for motherboard on DinoPC for this particular build, the other board being Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H, im happy to spend the extra £50 for the sniper if its a much better improvement. There is also Asus Maximus VI Hero which from some research it seems to be pretty damn good, its only £12 more than the sniper m5. Hmm i guess the question would be, is it either the Sniper M5 or Asus Maximus VI Hero, which would be more proficient and suitable for gtx 780 Ti Sli

i will eventually add another 780 Ti hopefully so i will need the. i Would love to install a custom loop but i honestly wouldnt know where to begin, what to purchase and perhaps risk damaging the rest of the components with a leak. im aware of guides and turtortiels but i wouldnt know which components to purchase to ensure it works with my build and ofc the price what would it amount to ?

Btw would the 1000W Corsair RM would be a more suitable choice over 850 for 780 Ti Sli, better to be safe than sorry

Thanks 

CPU Intel i7 4770K @4.4GHz / CPU Cooler Corsair H105 / Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Hero Intel Z97 / RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 2133MHz / Windows 8.1 / SSD Samsung 250GB 840 EVO / HDD WD Green 2TB / GPU Crossfire Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X OC / CASE Corsair 750D / PSU EVGA SuperNova P2 1000W / FANS 7 x Noctua NF-F12 IndustrialPPC 2000RPM IP67 PWM 120mm / 3 x 140mm / FAN Controller Lamptron FC5V3 / Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2013 / Keyboard Razer Anansi / Headset Steelseries H Wireless / Monitor Samsung S34E790C Curved 21:9

@prochaos

any Z87/97 mobo will be fine, all that is needed in what you need in connectivity

and color scheme for your budget. SLI/CFX is best on a ATX, not saying the

mATX can't haul the mail, but case selection gets weird and most mATX really

wouldn't be great ventilation candidates.

for PSU, the 850/860 is plenty and CPU overclocking is covered as well.