Steelseries Siberia V2 Frost Edition review

MrPibbles

For Christmas i was given the Steelseries Sibera V2 frost edition headphones. They looked pretty good and I was itching to use them. I would say I am a casual audiophile because I like sound quality, but I do not have enough money to buy expensive headphones and DAC's. I used the onboard Asus z77 motherboard sound card for my testing. The headset is a USB soundcard headset however I used AKG K142HD and AT M-50's as the other headsets I would have normally used. I have to say, The headset surprised me, for pure music, I did not like it as much as the AKG's and AT's, but in-game I did enjoy it for the EQ pre-sets. I mostly played BF3 for my in-game sound tests. It was a private server 4v4 squad rush and I did like the sounds i could hear very clearly. If it's simply for gaming with not an emphasis on music quality, then this headset is perfect. If you do however want good music performance, I would recommend and actual pair of headphones. I just want to say now that while the mic is clear, I use a blue yeti so i did not think to test it extensivly

In the past I have owned two sets of Siberia V2. The first one broke and steeleries replaced it without and hassle, and the second on I smashed out of rage. They are one of the best gaming headsets I have owned sound quality wise. I have a large head and they were pretty uncomfortable for me although my brother with a normal sized head thought they were quite comfortable. I don't believe the headset is optimized for hearing footsteps in games, previously before owning the siberia I had a pair of 5hv2 and in CS 1.6 imo I could detect and localize footsteps more precisely. In contrast I do appreciate the bass that the siberia presents, and the sound-stage is a lot better suited to music than other gaming headsets. Lastly, I have had experience with steelseries products breaking prematurely and my friends have reported the same thing. Overall they are a very capable headset for a whole range of activities but I don't think they shine in any one category.

• i5 3570k @ 4.6ghz
  • Gigabyte z77
  • 8gb Corsair Vengeance
  • Galaxy GTX 670 OC
  • 120gb Patriot Pyro SE
  • 2TB WD Green

I have not had much experience with gaming headsets and this is my first one. I like it, but I don't think it is better than my AT M-50's or AKG K142 Hd's

In the past I have owned two sets of Siberia V2. The first one broke and steeleries replaced it without and hassle' date=' and the second on I smashed out of rage. They are one of the best gaming headsets I have owned sound quality wise. I have a large head and they were pretty uncomfortable for me although my brother with a normal sized head thought they were quite comfortable. I don't believe the headset is optimized for hearing footsteps in games, previously before owning the siberia I had a pair of 5hv2 and in CS 1.6 imo I could detect and localize footsteps more precisely. In contrast I do appreciate the bass that the siberia presents, and the sound-stage is a lot better suited to music than other gaming headsets. Lastly, I have had experience with steelseries products breaking prematurely and my friends have reported the same thing. Overall they are a very capable headset for a whole range of activities but I don't think they shine in any one category.[/quote']

The foam on mine went flat within one week and they wont send me the adress to RMA it. Very frustrating.