any useful OSD other than MSI?

I find MSI unreliable, it either puts itself on another app (like iCUE) instead of my game, or it doesn't work in some games at all.

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

5 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

I find MSI unreliable, it either puts itself on another app (like iCUE) instead of my game, or it doesn't work in some games at all.

As much as i bloody hate RTSS as well theyre sadly the best in the game for overlays. Considering that you have nvidia cards according to your signature, you could also use the integrated Shadowplay performance overlay instead, but their pollrate is as inferior as everyone else.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

user error, not having set a hotkey for turning overlay on/off in Afterburner (actually Rivatuner is the overlay, Afterburner controls what's shown...what a dumb setup) but yea, it can be hit or miss. you could get Rivatuner to show up in a Youtube video if you fiddled around enough. you shouldn't need it on all the time anyway. Geforce Experience, settings, Enable GFE Overlay (the hotkey is ALT+Z). I just Win+G because I'm not afraid of Microsofts "Game Mode" like most people ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, dragonhart6505 said:

user error, not having set a hotkey for turning overlay on/off in Afterburner (actually Rivatuner is the overlay, Afterburner controls what's shown...what a dumb setup) but yea, it can be hit or miss. you could get Rivatuner to show up in a Youtube video if you fiddled around enough. you shouldn't need it on all the time anyway. Geforce Experience, settings, Enable GFE Overlay (the hotkey is ALT+Z). I just Win+G because I'm not afraid of Microsofts "Game Mode" like most people ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hmm, I thought rivatuna was an install and forget type deal, what settings do you even tweak? 

4 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

As much as i bloody hate RTSS as well theyre sadly the best in the game for overlays. Considering that you have nvidia cards according to your signature, you could also use the integrated Shadowplay performance overlay instead, but their pollrate is as inferior as everyone else.

I don't know if the poll rate matters to me, what exactly does that do? I just can't even get MSI to show up in games like D2, and it doesn't work in the RE4 remake demo either.

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

Just now, OnionRings said:

I don't know if the poll rate matters to me, what exactly does that do?

Its just how often it updates the data from the softwares and sensors to the overlay. Faster the pollrate, the better the data represent how the app feels and looks. Back then we can just poll these data in real time like in Fraps, but anticheat and DRM false flags just makes this unfeasible, as far as i know.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Its just how often it updates the data from the softwares and sensors to the overlay. Faster the pollrate, the better the data represent how the app feels and looks. Back then we can just poll these data in real time like in Fraps, but anticheat and DRM false flags just makes this unfeasible, as far as i know.

oh ok, so the slower the poll rate the more delay on the info being sent, so if the poll rate is bad, then the data may show up late or w.e? 

CPU

2 hours ago, OnionRings said:

Hmm, I thought rivatuna was an install and forget type deal, what settings do you even tweak? 

Kinda, it's attaching itself to a program so it can display system information using the programs own DX/OGL/VK api (something like that, oversimplified.) You control what info is shown in Afterburner settings under the "On Screen Overlay" tab and whatever info you want make sure "Show in OSD" is checked. It can also limit frame rates and change how vsync works, which on my basic level of understanding can help frame pacing and overall smoothness. It's an optional installation next to Afterburner, but some games actually break if it's even opened. You can even get banned because of the way it "hooks" to the games, so do be careful if you play multiplayer. Most devs have fixed that issue, but you should be aware of it.

Just play around, Rivatuner isn't gonna break anything if you just use it as an overlay for system/performance information. If an app doesn't load, close Afterburner and Rivatuner and use GFE.

2 hours ago, OnionRings said:

oh ok, so the slower the poll rate the more delay on the info being sent, so if the poll rate is bad, then the data may show up late or w.e? 

Yes, more delay...as in like the standard pollrate is about 1 - 2 second across most monitoring applications. Imagine being so bothered to have that little patience 😑

33 minutes ago, dragonhart6505 said:

Kinda, it's attaching itself to a program so it can display system information using the programs own DX/OGL/VK api (something like that, oversimplified.) You control what info is shown in Afterburner settings under the "On Screen Overlay" tab and whatever info you want make sure "Show in OSD" is checked. It can also limit frame rates and change how vsync works, which on my basic level of understanding can help frame pacing and overall smoothness. It's an optional installation next to Afterburner, but some games actually break if it's even opened. You can even get banned because of the way it "hooks" to the games, so do be careful if you play multiplayer. Most devs have fixed that issue, but you should be aware of it.

Just play around, Rivatuner isn't gonna break anything if you just use it as an overlay for system/performance information. If an app doesn't load, close Afterburner and Rivatuner and use GFE.

Yes, more delay...as in like the standard pollrate is about 1 - 2 second across most monitoring applications. Imagine being so bothered to have that little patience 😑

What does the application detection level do?

CPU

16 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

What does the application detection level do?

Beats the hell out of me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  😅 I've never had to use it and every time an application failed to hook none of the options ever made it work