8700k to 7700x upgrade software questions

god_bmxes
Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
15 minutes ago, god_bmxes said:

So I am going to be upgrading my PC to a 7700x this weekend from my older 8700k and  I am not sure if there are any special things I might need to prepare for besides grabbing my windows key.

Most of my other builds in the past have been a full rebuild but this time around I wanted to keep everything how it is currently and not start from scratch if possible. 

If it helps my current build is 8700k, Asus ROG Maximus X and ill be going to a 7700X and Asus ROG Strix X670E-E. GPU, m.2 boot drive and my HDD are going to be transferred over.

as an 7700x owner who upgraded from a 9900k, all I can say is!  This will be an AMAZING upgrade!   Just remember to download all the drivers ( I used ASUS ARMORY CRATE )  and set your ram to EXPO so you run the fastest speed. If you bought the WIFI version of the board you need to download the WIFI drivers and use the antenna that comes with the board to get WIFI, the antenna also works as a bluetooth reciever for your wireless gamepads etc.

So I am going to be upgrading my PC to a 7700x this weekend from my older 8700k and  I am not sure if there are any special things I might need to prepare for besides grabbing my windows key.

Most of my other builds in the past have been a full rebuild but this time around I wanted to keep everything how it is currently and not start from scratch if possible. 

If it helps my current build is 8700k, Asus ROG Maximus X and ill be going to a 7700X and Asus ROG Strix X670E-E. GPU, m.2 boot drive and my HDD are going to be transferred over.

Gaming Rig: 1st gen i7 to 8th gen i7 (Build Log)

Specs: i7 8700k : Corsair H110i w 2x Corsair LL140mm RGB Fans : 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz : Asus ROG Maximux X Hero AC : EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra : Phanteks Enthoo 719 w/LL120mm RGB fan : Corsair HX750Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB Boot Drive : WD Black HDD Game Drive : Corsair Lighting Node Pro

Server: 

Specs: HP DL380e G8 : 2x Intel Xeon E5 2470 : 48GB Ram : 6x HPE 4TB 3.5" HDDs, 2x 4TB WD Red, 3x WD Red 3TB HDDs, 1x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD : Redundant 750w 80+ Gold PSUs

The biggest thing you should do, if you haven't already, is link your Windows activation to your Microsoft account. This way you don't need a new Windows product key for swapping motherboards.

The next thing you should do is run sysprep in Windows: Windows + R, "sysprep.exe", Enter, Enter Out of Box Experience(OOBE). This will more or less revert your Windows install to a factory install without deleting your files, settings, or programs. It's a really nifty way to clean out all your drivers and things that may cause your OS to throw a hissy fit with the new hardware.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

15 minutes ago, god_bmxes said:

as an 7700x owner who upgraded from a 9900k, all I can say is!  This will be an AMAZING upgrade!   Just remember to download all the drivers ( I used ASUS ARMORY CRATE )  and set your ram to EXPO so you run the fastest speed. If you bought the WIFI version of the board you need to download the WIFI drivers and use the antenna that comes with the board to get WIFI, the antenna also works as a bluetooth reciever for your wireless gamepads etc.

23 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The biggest thing you should do, if you haven't already, is link your Windows activation to your Microsoft account. This way you don't need a new Windows product key for swapping motherboards.

The next thing you should do is run sysprep in Windows: Windows + R, "sysprep.exe", Enter, Enter Out of Box Experience(OOBE). This will more or less revert your Windows install to a factory install without deleting your files, settings, or programs. It's a really nifty way to clean out all your drivers and things that may cause your OS to throw a hissy fit with the new hardware.

That's amazing. Guess I want to do that right before I shut it down for the last time?

Gaming Rig: 1st gen i7 to 8th gen i7 (Build Log)

Specs: i7 8700k : Corsair H110i w 2x Corsair LL140mm RGB Fans : 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz : Asus ROG Maximux X Hero AC : EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra : Phanteks Enthoo 719 w/LL120mm RGB fan : Corsair HX750Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB Boot Drive : WD Black HDD Game Drive : Corsair Lighting Node Pro

Server: 

Specs: HP DL380e G8 : 2x Intel Xeon E5 2470 : 48GB Ram : 6x HPE 4TB 3.5" HDDs, 2x 4TB WD Red, 3x WD Red 3TB HDDs, 1x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD : Redundant 750w 80+ Gold PSUs

Just now, god_bmxes said:

That's amazing. Guess I want to do that right before I shut it down for the last time?

Yeah, you can set it to shut down when it's done running and then you just go about your business as normal.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!