HDD Regenerator question

SilentSpartan

I'm currently running HDD Regenerator on a drive of mine. I pulled it out of a toaster drive without knowing it was on. Now, Windows sees the drive but doesn't allow access to the data most likely due to physical damage.

My question while running it, it is showing a yellow 'D' (delays detected). I still have almost 38 hours before it completes. I can not find any documentation on what a yellow 'D' would mean. Any answer appreciated. Thanks!

2.png

Site for this tool says it http://www.dposoft.net/hdd.html

Permanent delays mean that the hard drive has sectors with long access time. A drive with permanent delays is actually a failing drive and may cause data losses.

Never heard of this tool before though and no clue if its effective in what it does.

If a drive has a problem reading data, it usually retries many times to try and get the data. I presume this is what they mean by a "delay". Not a good sign regardless. With suitable read-write cycles it is possible for modern drives to map them out of use.

38 hours remaining seems excessive for a roughly 2TB drive. Have to wonder what the software is doing. Some kind of surface refresh? That may be a read-write-read operation. First tries to get the data, write it back and read it again to make sure that sector is still good.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible