Validating new build before pulling the trigger

Budget (including currency): 3000$ with taxes

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Current games like Hogwart's Legacy, classics like SWTOR

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

• Building a new PC for a buddy of mine, trying to make the best out of his funds without going over (think Bob Barker)
  • PC Partpicker link: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/JVtVNc 
  • Preference for silence Vs style, a plain black case w/o seeing inside is perfectly fine
  • Allergy to RGB, this a PC not a dance club, put your dollars where you get in-game benefits
  • Going for long-term usage, 5+ years if we can. At worst the GPU will be upgraded down the road.
  • Gaming level: filthy casual, not competitive

Feedback welcomed before the proverbial trigger is pulled, is there something we can tweak for a better bang for the buck?

Thanks all! 

You maybe want a bit faster RAM, less than 38CL and more than 5200Mhz,

perhaps a better PSU, like Corsair RM1000x,

think about if 1TB of storage is enough unless your friend got more from old rig for example,

you also def want a better cooler, like be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 or Noctua NH-D15

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

5 hours ago, JPHebert said:

Allergy to RGB, this a PC not a dance club, put your dollars where you get in-game benefits

Yeah well i have to inform you in that just like IRL, the dance club is cheaper than the gentlemans club now. But hey, we have the budget to do all black here.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700KF 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($509.99 @ Canada Computers) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 ZERO DARK 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Memory Express) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z790 PG LIGHTNING ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($249.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory  ($169.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($174.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card  ($1479.00 @ Canada Computers) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus 2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($235.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Total: $3029.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-03-13 23:10 EDT-0400

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

5 hours ago, JPHebert said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Current games like Hogwart's Legacy, classics like SWTOR

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

• Building a new PC for a buddy of mine, trying to make the best out of his funds without going over (think Bob Barker)
  • Preference for silence Vs style, a plain black case w/o seeing inside is perfectly fine
  • Allergy to RGB, this a PC not a dance club, put your dollars where you get in-game benefits
  • Going for long-term usage, 5+ years if we can. At worst the GPU will be upgraded down the road.

Feedback welcomed before the proverbial trigger is pulled, is there something we can tweak for a better bang for the buck?

Thanks all! 

Hi, I saw your list and I made so better choices. I picked a better case that has no bling to it but does have a mesh front panel that is needed for good airflow, heat is a PCs worst nightmare. I gave you a much better CPU cooler, same brand just bigger to handle the 13700kf, and faster RAM. I gave you a OS Boot drive as well as a storage drive. Upgraded the GPU to the RX 7900XT so there will be no problems playing games. I had to replace the Gigabyte PSU because that brand of PSU is know for catching on fire literally. and I got you 5 plain black Be Quiet! fans w/o RGB to maximize airflow in the case.

I have almost 30 years experience building PCs, if you have any questions please ask.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Rh3z3y

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700KF 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($509.99 @ Canada Computers)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($106.79 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($370.38 @ iSanek)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory  ($193.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 310 Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card  ($1249.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case  ($137.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 26.3 CFM 80 mm Fan  ($12.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 26.3 CFM 80 mm Fan  ($12.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $2934.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-03-13 23:17 EDT-0400

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

13 minutes ago, PC HEROES said:

I had to replace the Gigabyte PSU because that brand of PSU is know for catching on fire literally

That was specific to the P-G model, not the ultra durable (UD).  And all of those are allegedly off the market, but it's irrelevant because it was literally only that model.  The P-G Aorus have never had this issue, nor have the UD.  It was only the non-aorus PG, and it's not a thing anymore, so it was likely an issue at MIEC that got cleared after a bad production run.  They are entirely different platforms, so it's not really a good comparison to make.  Case in point, Thermaltake makes some of the worst PSUs on the market, some of which have had issues damn near what the V1 Gigabyte P-Gs had.   That doesn't change the fact that their (Thermaltake) high-end stuff is still excellent.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

8 hours ago, JPHebert said:

Thanks all! 

your gonna want a case with good airflow (doesn't have to have rgb) so heres my modified one https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/98Gmtn

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

9 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

Yeah well i have to inform you in that just like IRL, the dance club is cheaper than the gentlemans club now. But hey, we have the budget to do all black here.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700KF 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($509.99 @ Canada Computers) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 ZERO DARK 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Memory Express) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z790 PG LIGHTNING ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($249.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory  ($169.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($174.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card  ($1479.00 @ Canada Computers) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus 2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($235.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Total: $3029.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-03-13 23:10 EDT-0400

Thanks for the input! Also love the analogy!

9 hours ago, PC HEROES said:

Hi, I saw your list and I made so better choices. I picked a better case that has no bling to it but does have a mesh front panel that is needed for good airflow, heat is a PCs worst nightmare. I gave you a much better CPU cooler, same brand just bigger to handle the 13700kf, and faster RAM. I gave you a OS Boot drive as well as a storage drive. Upgraded the GPU to the RX 7900XT so there will be no problems playing games. I had to replace the Gigabyte PSU because that brand of PSU is know for catching on fire literally. and I got you 5 plain black Be Quiet! fans w/o RGB to maximize airflow in the case.

I have almost 30 years experience building PCs, if you have any questions please ask.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Rh3z3y

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700KF 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($509.99 @ Canada Computers)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($106.79 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($370.38 @ iSanek)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory  ($193.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 310 Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card  ($1249.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case  ($137.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $2934.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-03-13 23:17 EDT-0400

Thanks!

14 hours ago, podkall said:

You maybe want a bit faster RAM, less than 38CL and more than 5200Mhz,

perhaps a better PSU, like Corsair RM1000x,

think about if 1TB of storage is enough unless your friend got more from old rig for example,

you also def want a better cooler, like be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 or Noctua NH-D15

Thanks!

I'd suggest the ThermalRight Peerless Assassin 120. It outperforms almost all other air coolers that I know of,  even Noctua, Corsair,  DeepCool and be quiet!. Check out Gamers Nexus's video naming it the champ 2 days ago.  Gamers Nexus $41 Thermalright Peerless Assassin CPU Cooler Review & Benchmarks

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

On 3/14/2023 at 11:18 AM, RevGAM said:

I'd suggest the ThermalRight Peerless Assassin 120. It outperforms almost all other air coolers that I know of,  even Noctua, Corsair,  DeepCool and be quiet!. Check out Gamers Nexus's video naming it the champ 2 days ago.  Gamers Nexus $41 Thermalright Peerless Assassin CPU Cooler Review & Benchmarks

Thanks!