Plugging in CPU cables

Hello, my PC appears to be running fine during the pre-build test, so now I’m going to mount my motherboard in the case. I’ve been following LTT’s build video and am currently at 1:08:57, where they suggest plugging in the cables before screwing down the motherboard. My question is what do I do for the 4 pin socket next to the 8 pin? I didn’t use it during testing.

Thanks!

94999737-2EAD-4808-8CE5-92092384F41E.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The additional 4 pins for CPU power are optional, and you can leave them empty.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

You literally posted a page from Manual stating you don't need to plug it in. What are you even asking?

2 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

You literally posted a page from Manual stating you don't need to plug it in. What are you even asking?

The video recommends using both earlier in the video, despite the manual saying to use one. Apparently if I ever want to overclock I’ll want all connectors plugged in. This old thread perhaps describes my question better.

1 minute ago, Brixbuster said:

The video recommends using both earlier in the video, despite the manual saying to use one. Apparently if I ever want to overclock I’ll want all connectors plugged in. This old thread perhaps describes my question better.

8pin CPU power cable is rated for ~340W plus w/e the socket can do. Not many CPUs go beyond that even overclocked. What's your CPU?

11 minutes ago, Brixbuster said:

Apparently if I ever want to overclock I’ll want all connectors plugged in.

if you ever want to extreme overclock with liquid nitrogen, yes. Otherwise, no.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

19 minutes ago, Brixbuster said:

Apparently if I ever want to overclock I’ll want all connectors plugged in

The 4-pin connector is for supplemental power for overclocking, yes, but as iterated above, it's only for extreme overclocking. Any power requirements from the CPU at stock will be perfectly met with the 8-pin with some 'normal' overclocking. Under normal cooling, you will not exceed what the 8-pin is capable of outputting. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, Verrierr said:

8pin CPU power cable is rated for ~340W plus w/e the socket can do. Not many CPUs go beyond that even overclocked. What's your CPU?

Ryzen 7900X.

58 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

if you ever want to extreme overclock with liquid nitrogen, yes. Otherwise, no.

Gotcha!