PCIe 6+2 cable from corsair is incorrect?

KingSpooky
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,
15 minutes ago, KingSpooky said:

Yeah the one shown in the picture is labeled PCIe and is one of the 6+2 ends, but the pins don't match the diagram I linked above.

The Corsair cables are correct, the diagram is incorrect. I have a picture of my 970 attached, which has an 8-pin. I also took a picture of my 6+2 cable that plugs into my 970 as well on my test bench. I have them both attached.

IMG_1655.thumb.JPG.859a1ebffbd1502bed229209bfb8454a.JPG

IMG_2282.thumb.JPG.b5e6a33fc1eccf979a152c1299ca0801.JPG

I am working on getting my first build plugged in but these PCIe cables from my Corsair power supply don't seem to match the configuration I found online for a PCIe 8 pin? Is it different because it is a 6+2? I noticed this cable has one 8 pin and 6+2 x2 connectors. I think I am supposed to use the 8 pin to connect to the PSU but so I use both 6+2 connectors for the GPU? Is it fine if I use 2 cables, and on one of them use both 6+2 and on the other I use only one 6+2 or should I use 3 separate cables? Thanks!

20230308_204820.jpg

Look like CPU power cable. Did you check labels on PSU connector?

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

Just now, JoshB2084 said:

Look like CPU power cable. Did you check labels on PSU connector?

This cable isn't. The PSU came with a cable labeled for the CPU and this one is labeled PCIe, I think for the GPU?

8 minutes ago, KingSpooky said:

I am working on getting my first build plugged in but these PCIe cables from my Corsair power supply don't seem to match the configuration I found online for a PCIe 8 pin? Is it different because it is a 6+2? I noticed this cable has one 8 pin and 6+2 x2 connectors. I think I am supposed to use the 8 pin to connect to the PSU but so I use both 6+2 connectors for the GPU? Is it fine if I use 2 cables, and on one of them use both 6+2 and on the other I use only one 6+2 or should I use 3 separate cables? Thanks!

Yes, the solid block of 8-pin connects to the power supply.

The 6+2 on the other end goes to the graphics card.

Depending on WHICH graphics card you have (i.e. power hungry RTX 3080 or RTX 4080), it may be SAFER to use three separate cables.

The one labelled as "CPU" is ONLY for the CPU 8-pin power that plugs into the motherboard.

DO NOT try to force that "CPU" 8-pin into a graphics card...

Unless you want your power supply and / or graphics card to release the irreversible "magic smoke."

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

You can use both 6+2 connectors simultaneously, and use another cable for the other 6+2 connector, but depends on the graphics card.

What Corsair power supply did you buy/procure? 

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

You can use both 6+2 connectors simultaneously, and use another cable for the other 6+2 connector. 

What Corsair power supply did you buy/procure? 

Its a RM1000X. All 3 of the labeled PCIe cables are like this, and don't match the diagram that I keep seeing online for what these should look like. It doesn't match the CPU one either. I'm not sure if the 2 pin is just wrong?

Spsgx.png

3 minutes ago, KingSpooky said:

Its a RM1000X. All 3 of the labeled PCIe cables are like this, and don't match the diagram that I keep seeing online for what these should look like. It doesn't match the CPU one either. I'm not sure if the 2 pin is just wrong?

A 6+2 connector is equivalent to an 8-pin connector. It's just able to split off so you can just use it as a 6-pin if you want to, so you're not limited in how you can use cables. 

@KingSpooky

Are your cables labeled at all on each end?

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

A 6+2 connector is equivalent to an 8-pin connector. It's just able to split off so you can just use it as a 6-pin if you want to, so you're not limited in how you can use cables. 

Yes but the pins on it don't seem like they are correct. The 4th and 8th pin pn the cable don't match the 4th and 8th pins of a PCIe

3 minutes ago, KingSpooky said:

Yes but the pins on it don't seem like they are correct. The 4th and 8th pin pn the cable don't match the 4th and 8th pins of a PCIe

Are the cables labeled?

Are the cables labeled?

Yeah the one shown in the picture is labeled PCIe and is one of the 6+2 ends, but the pins don't match the diagram I linked above.

15 minutes ago, KingSpooky said:

The Corsair cables are correct, the diagram is incorrect. I have a picture of my 970 attached, which has an 8-pin. I also took a picture of my 6+2 cable that plugs into my 970 as well on my test bench. I have them both attached.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Thank you for confirming! I was worried that the corsair ones were incorrect and would fry my GPU if I tried it.