Making my own samrt phone

When I look at how smartphones are made and the stuff that goes into design it seems that there are more and more parts that are becoming standardized I was wondering how far away are we that a technical consumer could make thier own phone.

Stuff I thought about:

There are sevices that make pcb's if you give them pcb plans.

Making parts and prototyping is easy due to 3D printing the needed parts could be sent to manufactures with which they can make molds or other stuff they need to make a better parts.

People are making stuff like routers and small electronics without being part of manufacturing instead they give that away to places like china and just plan everything.  (like kickstarter stuff)

Anybody who thinks that they could make this is a bit crazy and awsome I think the linus community could pull this off just as an idea or food for thought.

sorry realized too late that it said samrt instead of smart don't know how to change it

I think is a great idea, think that if you own your Iphone, a galaxy, or any other kind of smart phone you can disasemble it and replace anything like the screen or the body of the phone you just need your plans and a 3D printer.

it will be fantastic to be able to do that

with me whoever, ahead who can

Hmm, seems interesting. I know a friend who builds iPhones out of spare parts he buys on eBay, but making your OWN smartphone is on a whole new level. You would need pcb plans, antennae, screens, and all that other jazz that goes into a regular phone. I suppose it would be possible, but there are so many patents nowadays, it would be nearly impossible to produce a working smartphone without infringing a LOT of patents. For example, Samsung had to create its own pinch-to-zoom because Apple sued them for using a similar design to iOS.

I assumed you meant making a entirely new phone, but if you meant simply replacing parts on your existing phone, that would be much easier to do.

GTX titan mobile anyone? :D

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.