Saving Power

Hello there,

as the title says, it's all about saving power here.

So I'm using BOINC and donating my CPU performance to CERN LHC@home project.

For me as I'm living in Germany where 1KW/h is about 40cent... making a system that saves more power and runs 24/7 makes a difference.

I obviously plan to run this system for about 3years, my CPU AMD Ryzen 7900X is already using the PBO 95W config

I want to bring the power consumption even lower, if you have tested anything for yourself and came across anything worth sharing, please do so here 馃檪

I've ordered the Delid Tool from der8auer and will delid my ryzen CPU.

If hotter CPU results with more resistance, does this mean that cooling my VRAM and Chipset will also lower the power consumption? Is it known by how much?

Intel NUC 13 | i3 1315U |聽2x 8GB 3600/CL16

AMD 7950x3d | Sapphire 7800XT Nitro | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 5600Mhz CL36 1R | MSI B650-P聽Pro聽Wifi | Custom Loop

AUNE X8 Magic DAC + SS3602

AUNE X7s PRO Class-A| Sennheiser HD58X

Schiit Rekkr聽 |聽ELAC BS243.3

7 minutes ago, BotDamian said:

Hello there,

as the title says, it's all about saving power here.

So I'm using BOINC and donating my CPU performance to CERN LHC@home project.

For me as I'm living in Germany where 1KW/h is about 40cent... making a system that saves more power and runs 24/7 makes a difference.

I obviously plan to run this system for about 3years, my CPU AMD Ryzen 7900X is already using the PBO 95W config

I want to bring the power consumption even lower, if you have tested anything for yourself and came across anything worth sharing, please do so here 馃檪

I've ordered the Delid Tool from der8auer and will delid my ryzen CPU.

If hotter CPU results with more resistance, does this mean that cooling my VRAM and Chipset will also lower the power consumption? Is it known by how much?

You won鈥檛 get a huge reduction but one way to lower power consumption is a more efficient power supply. I personally stick to 80+ gold and above as the efficiency of these units is very good- one of my PSUs is 80+ titanium, for example

58 minutes ago, BotDamian said:

I want to bring the power consumption even lower

Yeah when youre at rock bottom PBO undervolts and better cooling wont do anything to the wattage use. I would say you should have an underclock profile on before you go every night.

Press quote聽to get a response聽from someone! | Check people's edited posts!聽|聽Be specific!聽| Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I feel your pain. I don't complain anymore how expensive our electricity rates are here in Canada seeing what Europeans are getting charged these days without the cheap Russian Gas.

In general I have found that Ryzen CPUs are most efficient (i.e. Work/Watt) at their lowest Power State (P2) but I tend to run them at the mid Power State (P1) to get a little more performance and offset more the 60-70W quiescent load of the motherboard, RAM, fans etc.

For my 5950, 3950, 5900s & 3900s this is 2.8GHz rather than 2.2GHz.

No idea how to do this under Windows but under Linux I run:

cpupower frequency-set -g performance -u 2.8G

which locks the CPU to 2.8GHz and results in a CPU Package Power of 60-80W under load with all but 2 threads running tasks.

My daily driver (5900x) running stock settings Windows which also does 13 threads of F@H and 1 thread feeding a second GPU for F@H, in comparison, shows a Package Power of 140W.

Here in Eastern Ontario, Canada we have Time-of-use electrical rates so I just run my GPUs between 19:00 and 07:00 when the Electricity Rate halves to $0.054/kWh (US$ or $0.074Cdn) The CPUs I run 24x7 as their 500W aggregate load is much lower than the 1.7kW from my GPUs.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding RigLinux Folding HOWTOFolding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

On 3/8/2023 at 12:04 AM, NF-A12x25 said:

You won鈥檛 get a huge reduction but one way to lower power consumption is a more efficient power supply. I personally stick to 80+ gold and above as the efficiency of these units is very good- one of my PSUs is 80+ titanium, for example

I have a Seasonic Prime Fanless TX 700W Titanium, I think I can't go better 馃槢

On 3/8/2023 at 12:55 AM, SorryClaire said:

Yeah when youre at rock bottom PBO undervolts and better cooling wont do anything to the wattage use. I would say you should have an underclock profile on before you go every night.

I was looking at PBO and I don't understand how it works honestly... when I do negative vcore offset, does it move the whole "curve"?
For example in Afterburner you can move the voltage graph and also "TILT" it and change the curve, so it goes linearly up and not exponential... because even tho my 7900X is able to run at 6GHz with PBO in games (wtf?) i don't really need it as I'm very GPU bottlenecked (3060ti). So If lets say 5.2Ghz or 5.5Ghz were the most efficient ones, I would take that if I could then run a much lower voltage. Now BOINC LHC@Home runs at about 1.19-1.22v and 5.1-5.2Ghz, it's PBO so it moves a lot.

But on the other side, it always runs BOINC LHC in the background, because the way I have set it, is that it only pauses when I run specific programs, only then it pauses.

In short, it never goes Idle.

On 3/8/2023 at 1:47 AM, Gorgon said:

Here in Eastern Ontario, Canada we have Time-of-use electrical rates so I just run my GPUs between 19:00 and 07:00 when the Electricity Rate halves to $0.054/kWh (US$ or $0.74Cdn) The CPUs I run 24x7 as their 500W aggregate load is much lower than the 1.7kW from my GPUs.

I think we have fixed rates here in Germany 馃槥

AMD 7950x3d | Sapphire 7800XT Nitro | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 5600Mhz CL36 1R | MSI B650-P聽Pro聽Wifi | Custom Loop

1 hour ago, BotDamian said:

I have a Seasonic Prime Fanless TX 700W Titanium, I think I can't go better 馃槢

could get a non-seasoning psu /hj (seasoning being the derogatory name for seasonic in light of all their coasting on reputation, recent QC issues, and lack of innovation, I think coined by the PSU Cultists guys)

cybenetics diamond is the best rating you can get currently, seasonic doesn鈥檛 have a single unit in that tier so you could do better but it鈥檇 only be a few cents different per year

20 hours ago, NF-A12x25 said:

could get a non-seasoning psu /hj (seasoning being the derogatory name for seasonic in light of all their coasting on reputation, recent QC issues, and lack of innovation, I think coined by the PSU Cultists guys)

cybenetics diamond is the best rating you can get currently, seasonic doesn鈥檛 have a single unit in that tier so you could do better but it鈥檇 only be a few cents different per year

It's not really only about the "save few cents" for me, it's also about the idea to ALSO see how far I'm able to push the "power saving" on a PC, because at the end, that same PC will be inside a Camper with about 10KWh battery capacity. So reducing it by 10W is 240W a day and less to worry about. So it's not only about saving few cents 馃槢

But I think for the few cents the lack of a fan in my PSU will probably even it out 馃槢

DDR5 uses a lower voltage than DDR4, namely 1.1V instead of 1.2V. While an 8% difference doesn鈥檛 sound like much, the difference is obvious when squared to calculate the power consumption ratio, which is 1.1虏/ 1.2虏=85%, which equates to a 15% saving on electricity bills.

The architectural changes introduced by DDR5 optimize bandwidth efficiency and increase transfer rates; However, these numbers are difficult to quantify without measuring the precise application environment in which the technology is deployed. But again, end-users will feel that the energy per data bit improves due to the improved architecture and higher transmission speeds.

In addition, the DIMM can self-adjust the voltage, which reduces the power requirements of the motherboard and provides additional power savings.

For data centers, server power consumption and cooling costs are issues, and when these factors are considered, DDR5 as a more power-efficient module can definitely be a reason for an update.

quoted from聽https://www.diskmfr.com/how-does-ddr5-improve-performance-with-low-power/

I don't really understand why this whole squared power consumption ratio.

It also states that the DIMMs can self-adjust the voltage, but there is no way of seeing this... how do I see my RAM voltage?