New PC error - GPU red light and fans blink on PSU switch on

zeoN
Go to solution Solved by aledsav1,

I think you are probably ok turning it on, that will more than likely just be the psu receiving power and then a trickle getting through to the system, deep breath try it:)

red led on gpu indicates its not gettting enough power, which is correct as the system is not on, but there is power going through the system if that makes sense

Hello, I just build my first pc and I need help.

On the clip you can see that when I turn the PSU on a red dot appears on the GPU and the case fans rgb blink. (Ignore the surrounding noise).

I don't even know if this is a problem, it likely is. I'm very new to this stuff, and I was scared to turn the pc on to see if it boots.

I used the Nvidia adapter and connected 2 separate VGA cables from the PSU to the adapter. For the fans rgb, I daisy chained the 4 case fans (aspect 14 rgb pwm fans which come with case) and connected them to the 5V led header on the motherboard.

My components are:

Intel Core i5-13600KF 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor

Lian Li GALAHAD AIO 360 RGB UNI FAN SL120 EDITION 58.54 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard

G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card

Fractal Design Meshify 2 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G6 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I think you are probably ok turning it on, that will more than likely just be the psu receiving power and then a trickle getting through to the system, deep breath try it:)

red led on gpu indicates its not gettting enough power, which is correct as the system is not on, but there is power going through the system if that makes sense

So I actually got the mb out of the case, tried unplugging and plugging everything and turn the PSU on... And noticed that the MB rgb also blinks.

I am unsure where you are at with this? did you turn the pc on yet? I know you have turned the psu on but there are no further details other than that and now this, you have removed it from case...?

15 hours ago, aledsav1 said:

I am unsure where you are at with this? did you turn the pc on yet? I know you have turned the psu on but there are no further details other than that and now this, you have removed it from case...?

I was really cautious and wanted to reattach everything to see if the connection Is the problem. 

Thanks for giving me the courage, as I took a deep breath as you said and booted the pc and got to BIOS safely... However there appeared a new problem. 

First there is the CPU temp which rose from 34 to 50 in like 20 minutes in bios and doesn't seem to stop getting hotter. I guess I will get the cooler off and see if the paste was badly spread and repaste it 

Second, i noticed the boot led light on the MB turned on, don't know what it means 

I will attach the bios screen.

IMG_20230308_232440.jpg

great, well at least you know it is safe re power.

yes make sure cooler is installed correctly, you have removed any plastic covering on the coolers cpu block? thermal paste is showing it is firmly pressing against the cpu

the pump is plugged in correctly/fans are spinning etc

boot led could be either there is no drive connected? as looking at screen it says no bootable device, so could also be windows is not installed yet? 

make sure you have the drive properly connected etc, if its m.2 then you might need to set it up in bios, but just try and install windows once you have temps sorted

I only have a NVME m.2 drive on this configuration. It is properly listed on the m.2 tab of the bios.

Windows is not installed yet, i'll figure the cpu temps first.

Also forgot to mention that the gpu red light disappears once i boot the pc, kind of annoying that it will stay on when i turn the pc off 😕

I'll keep in touch about the progress, thanks!

you'll have to turn psu off for the gpu led to eventually stop lighting...best of luck with the heat trouble shooting and install