Any reason one browser would get 220mbps down on speedtest.net and another gets 40mbps

munchuhmunchuh

Title. I dont get it. All connected to the same server. Anyone know what my actual speed is or whats going on?

20 minutes ago, munchuhmunchuh said:

Anyone know what my actual speed is or whats going on?

The maximum speed you should expect is whatever you're paying for from your ISP. I don't know what that is, since you haven't mentioned it.

The browser is unlikely to be the issue, it's more likely an issue with how the other computer is connected (e.g. wire vs wireless). If wired, it could be a faulty cable. If Wi-Fi, there could be too many obstacles between the machine and the AP.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

The maximum speed you should expect is whatever you're paying for from your ISP. I don't know what that is, since you haven't mentioned it.

The browser is unlikely to be the issue, it's more likely an issue with how the other computer is connected (e.g. wire vs wireless). If wired, it could be a faulty cable. If Wi-Fi, there could be too many obstacles between the machine and the AP.

Hey its Starlink. Im going through a whole saga trying to figure out how to improve my wifi. But if I literally test one browser within seconds of the other (chrome and then librewolf) chrome is like 4x faster. Im on Wifi as I sadly cant go ethernet. I just upgraded to a brand new high gain antenna wifi adapter so not sure thats the issue.

9 minutes ago, munchuhmunchuh said:

But if I literally test one browser within seconds of the other (chrome and then librewolf) chrome is like 4x faster

Is this speed difference consistent? If you switch back to Chrome afterwards, is it 4x faster again?

I have no experience with Starlink. I suspect it could be down to what/how many satellites are overhead at the moment, which could change quite rapidly due to how low their orbits are.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

45 minutes ago, munchuhmunchuh said:

Hey its Starlink. Im going through a whole saga trying to figure out how to improve my wifi. But if I literally test one browser within seconds of the other (chrome and then librewolf) chrome is like 4x faster. Im on Wifi as I sadly cant go ethernet. I just upgraded to a brand new high gain antenna wifi adapter so not sure thats the issue.

Just to clarify, it's the same device you are using?  If it's different then my guess it's a wifi thing.  If it's the same device, then what speedtest site are you using?  Haven't used librewolf, but could be possible that if it does more blocking/privacy protection and stuff that it might be interfering with the test.

As @Eigenvektor said though, run chrome then libre then chrome again (to make sure that it's not just a fluctuation in your internet speed)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

54 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Is this speed difference consistent? If you switch back to Chrome afterwards, is it 4x faster again?

I have no experience with Starlink. I suspect it could be down to what/how many satellites are overhead at the moment, which could change quite rapidly due to how low their orbits are.

It is indeed consistent and run multiple tests over and over back to back.

18 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Just to clarify, it's the same device you are using?  If it's different then my guess it's a wifi thing.  If it's the same device, then what speedtest site are you using?  Haven't used librewolf, but could be possible that if it does more blocking/privacy protection and stuff that it might be interfering with the test.

As @Eigenvektor said though, run chrome then libre then chrome again (to make sure that it's not just a fluctuation in your internet speed)

It is indeed the same device.

just speedtest.net

Yep yep run it back to back multiple times. Thats why its so weird

When you run it, is it using different servers?  Like it is detecting your location correctly?  Librewolf from what I can tell is privacy focused so it might also have more features that cause issues with speedtest speeds (have you tried Google speed test?)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

I would download the windows store app for Speedtest.net and call it accurate enough.

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/speedtest-by-ookla/9NBLGGH4Z1JC?hl=en-us&gl=us&rtc=1

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

13 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

When you run it, is it using different servers?  Like it is detecting your location correctly?  Librewolf from what I can tell is privacy focused so it might also have more features that cause issues with speedtest speeds (have you tried Google speed test?)

Naw its using the same servers and location. Thats why this all dont make sense.

6 hours ago, munchuhmunchuh said:

Librewolf might very well have particular settings in place that make it slower to improve privacy/security.

18 hours ago, TylerD321 said:

I would download the windows store app for Speedtest.net and call it accurate enough.

^ This.

Browser based speedtests can be inaccurate for many reasons. Ads can really slow down a test. Use the windows app and call it a day.

1 hour ago, PyCCo_TyPuCTo said:

^ This.

Browser based speedtests can be inaccurate for many reasons. Ads can really slow down a test. Use the windows app and call it a day.

Funny you say that as I've always found the browser more accurate than the app.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 3/6/2023 at 9:36 PM, munchuhmunchuh said:

So this is a typical scenario with wireless tech. Basically there are either time-slots, frequency divisions, or code divisions to get more bandwidth, and thus you might just be getting a crap-shoot every time you start a new connection.

As for why two browsers might get different speeds, it may depend how many parallel connections it opens. Chromium-based browsers all perform similarly, and should one not, that would be indicative of a browser extension causing it.

The app's are usually just wrapping the web browser test and are slightly more accurate for testing mobile devices since it reduces the experience to just a webview. But on a desktop, the app will likely be limited to whatever webview it's using's network settings, which in most case are CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework, Apache Cordova, NW.js, Electron, etc), and I'm not aware of any webview using firefox's engine, they're all Chromium +/- versions out of date.