Questions about broadcast radios

Toasty321
Go to solution Solved by Hebdomad,

Which type of radio would be the best for an at home system? CB, Ham, etc.
If your goal is 'Truckers' it'll probably be CB radio. You don't need a licence for CB, however you'll find more contacts (and a much deeper experience) with Ham radio, which you'll need a licence.

Would I be allowed to use one without a permit? If I do need one, where and how would I obtain one?
You do not need a licence to own a radio and listen (in most countries this is fine). You don't need a licence to broadcast on CB using a CB radio.
You will need a licence to broadcast with a Ham radio.

Would I be allowed to ask people questions in the first place? Could there be a way to talk to them that wouldn’t impede on their job? 

CB is open to the airwaves to whoever is listening. You might not get truckers. You might just get other people like yourself trying to find people to chat.
You're not going to get into trouble trying to start a conversation on CB, just as long as you don't interrupt or broadcast on emergency frequencies.
If you go down the Ham route, then the study you do for your licence will train you in all you need to know for your licence level.

What would I need to set up an at home station? How much should I spend on such a thing?
Really depends where you start out. Radio much like PC gaming is a hobby you can spend as much or as little as you want.

Is it possible to run a traditional microphone, like a Rode NT-1, into the radio to use instead of the hand-transmitter? Can a radio be ran through a audio interface, like a motu m-2?

I mean, yes you can. Most radios it would require a bit of custom work, but there's a lot of Hams out there running with broadcast quality microphones.

Ham Radio Crash Course is an excellent source of learning material on YouTube.
Don't let the cranky old hams hold you back. The amateur radio hobby is a massive rabbit hole of awesome tech. From Morse code, to TV to satellite communications and all kinds of digital modes. It's not just old school truckers running  AM/FM CB radios.

I am trying to get into the broadcast radio area, to be able to converse with truckers, and to be able to simply ask them questions. With that, I have a few questions. (Apologies for my lack of knowledge)

>Which type of radio would be the best for an at home system? CB, Ham, etc. 

>Would I be allowed to use one without a permit? If I do need one, where and how would I obtain one?

>Would I be allowed to ask people questions in the first place? Could there be a way to talk to them that wouldn’t impede on their job? 

>What would I need to set up an at home station? How much should I spend on such a thing?

>Is it possible to run a traditional microphone, like a Rode NT-1, into the radio to use instead of the hand-transmitter? Can a radio be ran through a audio interface, like a motu m-2?

Any Help is Appreciated! 

4 hours ago, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

The first big question when you get into this is your local regulations, which country do you live in?

I am located in the US

On 3/7/2023 at 2:00 AM, Toasty321 said:

I am located in the US

You'll probably want a CB radio, I doubt truckers will go through the trouble of getting a license. You'd have to look up in which bands they operate in your area and get a radio that supports those bands and is within the legal power limits.

35 minutes ago, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

You'll probably want a CB radio, I doubt truckers will go through the trouble of getting a license. You'd have to look up in which bands they operate in your area and get a radio that supports those bands and is within the legal power limits.

What equipment should I get for an at home system? What would be a reasonable amount to spend on such a thing?

On 3/11/2023 at 1:38 AM, Toasty321 said:

What equipment should I get for an at home system? What would be a reasonable amount to spend on such a thing?

Depends on how much you want to spend on it, you can get small portable CB radios for less than €100 from Chinese sellers on aliexpress and ebay, you can find high-end fancy digital ones from European or American manufacturers that'll run you into the thousands. But the first thing to do is to check which bands you'd have to use, and maybe see if you can find something second hand in your area.

On 3/12/2023 at 6:00 AM, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

Depends on how much you want to spend on it, you can get small portable CB radios for less than €100 from Chinese sellers on aliexpress and ebay, you can find high-end fancy digital ones from European or American manufacturers that'll run you into the thousands. But the first thing to do is to check which bands you'd have to use, and maybe see if you can find something second hand in your area.

Would it be possible to output the audio from a radio into something like an audio interface? (A scarlett 2i2 3rd gen) If it wasnt, would it be possible to record it with maybe a microphone? 

Which type of radio would be the best for an at home system? CB, Ham, etc.
If your goal is 'Truckers' it'll probably be CB radio. You don't need a licence for CB, however you'll find more contacts (and a much deeper experience) with Ham radio, which you'll need a licence.

Would I be allowed to use one without a permit? If I do need one, where and how would I obtain one?
You do not need a licence to own a radio and listen (in most countries this is fine). You don't need a licence to broadcast on CB using a CB radio.
You will need a licence to broadcast with a Ham radio.

Would I be allowed to ask people questions in the first place? Could there be a way to talk to them that wouldn’t impede on their job? 

CB is open to the airwaves to whoever is listening. You might not get truckers. You might just get other people like yourself trying to find people to chat.
You're not going to get into trouble trying to start a conversation on CB, just as long as you don't interrupt or broadcast on emergency frequencies.
If you go down the Ham route, then the study you do for your licence will train you in all you need to know for your licence level.

What would I need to set up an at home station? How much should I spend on such a thing?
Really depends where you start out. Radio much like PC gaming is a hobby you can spend as much or as little as you want.

Is it possible to run a traditional microphone, like a Rode NT-1, into the radio to use instead of the hand-transmitter? Can a radio be ran through a audio interface, like a motu m-2?

I mean, yes you can. Most radios it would require a bit of custom work, but there's a lot of Hams out there running with broadcast quality microphones.

Ham Radio Crash Course is an excellent source of learning material on YouTube.
Don't let the cranky old hams hold you back. The amateur radio hobby is a massive rabbit hole of awesome tech. From Morse code, to TV to satellite communications and all kinds of digital modes. It's not just old school truckers running  AM/FM CB radios.

1 hour ago, Hebdomad said:

as long as you don't interrupt or broadcast on emergency frequencies.

Is there some sort of video guide, or book you would recommend to learn basically all the important factors of owning a CB?

Also, I greatly appreciate the large amount of information, it is very helpful 😁

22 hours ago, Toasty321 said:

Is there some sort of video guide, or book you would recommend to learn basically all the important factors of owning a CB?

Also, I greatly appreciate the large amount of information, it is very helpful 😁

Man, I've only started yet there is tons of information I could give you so I don't know where to start.

Honestly, go out there and buy a half decent CB radio, get the manual and read it cover to cover. It'll have everything that applies to your local regulations and you'll be able to use it far better than 90% of the people who own one, especially if you learn how duplex works so you can use CB repeaters and get more coverage. Also start googling around to see who is on what frequencies as it can differ from place to place.

28 minutes ago, Hebdomad said:

Honestly, go out there and buy a half decent CB radio

Thank you so much for all the information! I hope to be a part of the radio hobbyists soon 🙂

21 hours ago, Toasty321 said:

Thank you so much for all the information! I hope to be a part of the radio hobbyists soon 🙂

Was thinking of you and this just dropped in my Youtube recommendations.
A lot of the tips here should also apply for CB radio too.
CB is all good fun. But come join us in Ham Radio land too ok? 

On 3/16/2023 at 5:36 AM, Hebdomad said:

join us in Ham Radio land too ok? 

I will definitely be looking into both! Ham radios rack up in price fast though 🫠