10 ThinkPad T60's, all librebooted and working (in pieces lol)

8 hours ago, emosun said:

so what would someone use these for?

I can think of a pile of things I would use a T60 for.  Music production, writing, all sortsa shit.  Just because the code doesn't say 2023 on it doesn't mean it can't do the job any worse than it did back then.  Ohhh no you have a bigger resolution than before.  Takes 2 minutes more, dear god what will we do.  lol.

I had pentium M's and pentium 4's for a loooooong time and let me tell you I STILL love those machines.  They crank if you want them to.  Most people don't have a great understanding of computers tho, at least at board logic level, so most won't figure out optimizations out the gate.  Software suites and replacement firmwares need to be made for teh average consumer to be able to use hardware continually.

Such as putting libreboot on a thinkpad to change the wifi card or OC your CPU, if thats a thing you can do.  1vyrain lets you do crazy stuff too, X230T is great for everything except screen recording and detailed art.  Scribbles and games?  Yeah whatever, get a GPU dock.  Just takes brainstorming.

I have 2 little Atom N270 based netbooks sitting here.  I want to get some BIG SSD's in them and use them as backup hard drives that I can log into.  I have a Sun Microsystem SunFire 2500 I'm going to configure to work as a load balancer so I can set up microwave dishes between my parents house and my sisters house.  I have a Dell Precision Gen4 gaming computer that, admittedly I'm going to pull the board out of eventually, but only to then replace it with a Dimension 670 board with dual Xeon 3.4E's.  Why?  Because I love netburst and those are the FASTEST netburst chips with the ability to run dual socket.

Fuck.  Yes.

Its worth it to put effort into your own custom setup.  Its really rewarding.

This thread really does read like a shitpost - I haven't seen something so funny and horrifying at the same time in a while.

Anyway, as someone who does programming nearly every day, I definitely would not want to have to run my tools on hardware this old every day. Yes, testing to make sure your software runs well on older hardware is a good thing. But actually doing development work on old hardware is completely different and can be a handicap sometimes, especially in the work I'm doing right now. Don't get me wrong, I have experience doing exactly that: my first laptop was a netbook with a single core Intel Atom CPU and it was the slowest thing I had ever touched. When I was first getting into programming, it was too slow to even use an IDE, so I just used notepad and command line tools.

Did that work? Yes. Is that something I want to do? Absolutely not.

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

23 hours ago, ChuckFeed said:

if you used an old thinkpad before you wouldnt be asking 'why would anyone use this and what for'

For reference, my thinkpad from the 90s still holds a charge...