Is it worth spending over $2000 on a gaming desktop?

"Worth it" in what sense? Unless it's your job, any money spend on videogames is technically "wasted"... but obviously having fun has value in and of itself. So it's really up to you to decide if the extra money for a high end system improves your experience enough to be worth it. You certainly don't need to spend that much to run games on PC at a good enough framerate. $2000 seems reasonable for a high resolution/triple monitor system.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 3/7/2023 at 11:06 AM, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

How I see the various price points:
500€) Basic machine that can do some light e-sport gaming. Used hardware is a must here, it'll get you vastly superior performance/euro.
1000€) Cheap machine. You get a discrete GPU and can play new 1080p games if you build it right. A used GPU can get you a lot more performance here.

1500€) Good machine. You get a new (not used) discrete GPU and decide what to prioritize. 1440p/1080p? high refresh rate? monitor?

2000€) Great machine. You can get high refresh rate at high resolution depending on component choice and games you play.

3000€) Overkill top of the line machine. 

More) Heavily diminishing returns. Additional money doesn't give you more performance. (Looks, RGB, IO, fast components, etc...)

Riley made a great video about the topic. The hardware changed but the overall experience still stand.

those prices are outdated (and were still ridiculous for the time I thought back then that the market was the worst but 2022 proved me wrong lol ) e.g a 1660ti is listed there for $175 but now 3 years after it costs upwards of 250!!! 

21 minutes ago, papajo said:

At todays prices it is NOT.

And now worth as in value has nothing to do if you are rich or not that only means that you dont care still doesnt make it worth though.

E.g I can spend easily $10 on sweets or what not per day... but a single chewing gum isnt worth $10 so I wouldnt buy one simply because it isnt worth it not because I cant afford it.. 

Also there is no way one can conince me that a jewing gum is worth $10 for an individual that bought because he has money to waste... again its not about how wealthy you are but if this thing has worth that reflects the pricetag. 

with $2000 one should (and once upon a time not far ago) be able to buy the most frivolous over the top PC tower or one of the best desktops with a very good monitor 5.1 speakers and top mice and keyboard

Now you barely can buy a 3090 ti which isnt even the best or newest GPU...

The best consumer CPU should go for 400-450 max the best GPU about the same the best/fastest ram at atleast 32GB should go 120 max the best case should cost 150 max the best mobo 250 max the best psu 120 max an 12TB HDD should cost 100 a 2TB Nvme 80-100 max 

The best 32" monitor should go for 500 euro max the best mouse 80-100 and the best keyboard** 80-100 ...

Then yes it would be worth it to buy a $2000 gaming PC 

**now buying a Chinese keyboard from china costs 120 and it is plastic with cherry mx clones.. (e.g keychron v6 with palmrest <-- which should come free in a keyboard but it doesnt nowadays.. ) and it is considered a good deal best bang for the buck LOL ridiculous! such keyboard should go for 30-50 max... 

As discussed elsewhere in this thread, you're looking at this entirely wrong. 

Back up for a second and think about what someone does for fun or as a hobby. Lets say its mountain biking. It's what they spend their free time doing and it brings them joy. They spend $2000 on a bike. Are you going to say they wasted their money because they can do, in your opinion, the same thing on a $1000 bike? 

You have to disassociate yourself with the specific items or products the money is being spent on. It what it brings the person is joy for their hobby, what does it matter what it is? 

I'm not even going to get into the fact that as far as hobbies go people can spend money on, PC gaming or just high end desktop PC parts are ***CHEAP***. 

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

On 3/1/2023 at 10:38 PM, lordpoophead2.0 said:

Is it worth spending over $2000 on a gaming desktop? Personally, I don't think it's worth spending over $2000 on a gaming desktop with the current price to performance value for hardware. I would like to see your opinions on if it's worth spending that much. Thanks!

Yes. No. Banana.

Value is completely dependent on your personal situation. If you have a lot of cash to burn, $2000 isn't an obstacle. If you can use the same computer for other purposes, the same might apply. If you have a low income or live in an expensive part of the world, it may be way too much. Some people can't spare that kind of cash and would rather feed their family and play on lower settings and more modest hardware instead.

What we can establish is that the PC market has been saturated during the COVID period, and that we now seem to be at a turning point. It's likely computer manufacturers will struggle to sell their products more than they did the past few years, which means we might see more competitive products for lower prices. We've already seen current product line-ups drop their prices significantly (DDR5 RAM, AM5 and Z790 motherboard, SSDs), but also might see the next generations introduced play around with the value per dollar you get. That's a typical way of changing the value proposition without worrying the shareholders too much.

Some types of manufacturers might escape this, as their products are intended for specific markets or industries where there's less of a drop in demand.

2 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Back up for a second and think about what someone does for fun or as a hobby. Lets say its mountain biking. It's what they spend their free time doing and it brings them joy. They spend $2000 on a bike. Are you going to say they wasted their money because they can do, in your opinion, the same thing on a $1000 bike? 

You have to disassociate yourself with the specific items or products the money is being spent on. It what it brings the person is joy for their hobby, what does it matter what it is? 

I'm not even going to get into the fact that as far as hobbies go people can spend money on, PC gaming or just high end desktop PC parts are ***CHEAP***. 

Those $2000 bikes aren't the default, though. The higher end options are reserved for relatively privileged people with enough disposable income. A lot of people will make due with simpler options or choose another, more affordable hobby.

30 minutes ago, XNOR said:

Those $2000 bikes aren't the default, though. The higher end options are reserved for relatively privileged people with enough disposable income. A lot of people will make due with simpler options or choose another, more affordable hobby.

Again, missing the point entirely. If you can physically afford it, "worth" is up to the person and if it is something they want and will enjoy. 

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Again, missing the point entirely. If you can physically afford it, "worth" is up to the person and if it is something they want and will enjoy. 

Like how you missed the post before the one you're replying to?

35 minutes ago, XNOR said:

Yes. No. Banana.

Value is completely dependent on your personal situation. If you have a lot of cash to burn, $2000 isn't an obstacle. If you can use the same computer for other purposes, the same might apply. If you have a low income or live in an expensive part of the world, it may be way too much. Some people can't spare that kind of cash and would rather feed their family and play on lower settings and more modest hardware instead.

12 minutes ago, XNOR said:

Like how you missed the post before the one you're replying to?

Neat. In no way does this have anything to do with people who physically cannot afford something better. Its simply worth it to people who can afford it, like literally any other hobby.

Sheesh, a set of HRE wheels could be $10k and its worth it to someone who can afford if if that's what they want. 

If the question was is it worth it to someone on minimum wage to spend $2000 on a computer then of course not but what kind of question even is that? The answer is obvious. 

The question is entirely up to the person as you say but making a blanket statement that spending x dollar amount isn't worth it is just silly. (you didn't, the person I replied to originally did)

12 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I am looking this entirely wrong because you were introduced to this crazy and I just want things to become normal again? 

I am looking at this wrong because I cant excuse a consumer paying a month's net salary (and in many places of the world multiple months  of his salary) for a single PC component... 

Or in other words for a component of a BASIC COMMODITY.... how would it look like to you if you had to spend 1 month's salary to change a component in your fridge or AC or TV ? 

Just read this part of what I wrote again and let it sink in

12 hours ago, papajo said:

The best consumer CPU should go for 400-450 max the best GPU about the same the best/fastest ram at atleast 32GB should go 120 max the best case should cost 150 max the best mobo 250 max the best psu 120 max an 12TB HDD should cost 100 a 2TB Nvme 80-100 max 

The best 32" monitor should go for 500 euro max the best mouse 80-100 and the best keyboard** 80-100 ...

Then yes it would be worth it to buy a $2000 gaming PC 

And tell me what is wrong with THAT, while also keeping in the back of your head that things USED TO BE EXACTLY like this.. (and please dont just try to counter argue for the sake of counterarguing, try to understand what the message is instead, I mean yes e.g on 2007 there were no 12TB HDDs so dont tell me that.. but there were equally "almost top capacity models" HDDs of the time that provided almost limitless space for the software requirements and video requirements of an average person of the time that used to cost as much as that! that's the message) 

Also keep in mind that as PCs go more and more popular (so more people have PCs now compared to e,g 2004 or to  2012) and as technology and manufacturing techniques get refined and advance and become more efficient and also because of economies of scale things shouldnt just be as good as in the past BUT BETTER in other words prices should become LOWER not stay the same compared to a few years back!!!

But apparently they become considerably worse for some reason "I wonder what that could be" ... 

Back up for a second and think about what someone does for fun or as a hobby. Lets say its mountain biking. It's what they spend their free time doing and it brings them joy.

No you are just trying to find "what else is crazy in the world so I can defent this argument" 

1) PCs are not a hobby they are a basic commodity nowadays, you cant have a household without needing/having to use some sort of a computer unless you REALLY try to just to protest or whatnot. You also most likely need a computer at work or when studying/researching. 

2) yes mountain bikes (and bicycles in general) as well as audiophile equipment have been deranged too and PCs following their path today...  a mountain bike part may be as expensive or more expensive than a car part or a motorbike part which are much more expensive to produce durable and sophisticated parts  compared to a bicycle which is simple aluminium alloys and some strings and oil and some small pieces of rubber and what not.. . 

As discussed elsewhere in this thread, you're looking at this entirely wrong

Also please do not start a post with innuendos I may have discussed prices in other topics but it doesnt mean that I have been proven  wrong or something (being wrong and just have people not agreeing with me is a totally different thing there are also people that agree with me and that is also a different thing from being right because those two can coincide doesnt mean that they are the same necessarily)  

I could have started with "As I did before I will correct you once more again" but that wouldnt be a good premise for a dialogue would it?  instead I use arguments I find them better than ad hominem innuendos.