No Video on Display

Yoshi Moshi

I have an old Alienware X51 R2. 

MOBO: Apears to be some custom MOBO for dell. The original MOBO that came with this prebuilt

RAM: I upgraded the default 8 GB DDR3 to 16 GB DDR3. Don't remember what brand or speed, don't think it matters

Storage: A SATA SSD, don't remember brand or specs, don't think it matters 

GPU: Nvidia GTX 745, 4 GB 

PSU: A smaller older PSU, don't remember specs don't think it matters 

Ok so the computer was working fine. The user of the computer tends to leave their computer on for extended periods of time by accident and forgets to turn off. I saw the left it on and turned it off. Now when turning on, nothing appears on display.

• Tried a different display and have the same problem.
  • Removed this GPU and put into another computer and the second computer worked fine 
  • Removed GPU from second computer (known to be working) and put into computer with problem, nothing appears on display 
  • Tried reconnecting SATA and power cable to SSD, MOBO power cable, CPU power cable, reseat the two sticks of RAM, same issue 

On start up the fans spin and LED lights glowing. Fan on GPU spins. No error beep codes occur. Hear first single beep indicating it passed the POST, but still get nothing on display.

Not sure how to trouble shoot this further other than to think the MOBO might have gone bad? The GPU connector on the MOBO looks fine and not damaged.

Thanks for any help. If I have to buy another MOBO can I transfer my OS and keep all of my files to the new MOBO? I also have some really old computers that are extra but not sure they would support the OS I'm using they are that old, like Windows Vista PCs lol. Was thinking I could just use them and keep all my files but think they are to old. I would like to keep my files.

There's probably a reason the user left it running all the time, likely what you just discovered. My 5900X did similar when it had RAM stability issues. Try reseating RAM and GPU. If it fixes it (especially temporarily and it does it again in another 8-12 cold boots), that will be a clue.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 11:14 PM, An0maly_76 said:

There's probably a reason the user left it running all the time, likely what you just discovered. My 5900X did similar when it had RAM stability issues. Try reseating RAM and GPU. If it fixes it (especially temporarily and it does it again in another 8-12 cold boots), that will be a clue.

Hi. I have reseated the RAM and the GPU a few times and it didn't fix it. Is there anyway to narrow down what is wrong? I've already tried a different GPU. I guess I'll look to see if some extra RAM anywhere but I don't think I do. I tried the old GPU in a different computer and it worked. So it comes down to RAM or MOBO or I guess CPU I have no idea

Well I put the ram in another computer and it turned on.

So I have computer that gives me a black screen when turned on but no beep error codes. But I put the RAM, and GPU from this computer into another computer and it turns on fine.

I have tried reseating the ram and GPU in the bad computer multiple times. Not sure what's wrong.