FX-9590 + GTX 1060 watercooled build for Nextcloud NAS + Jellyfin

YamiYukiSenpai

Budget (including currency): $1.0k - $1.5k CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Nextcloud/NAS, Jellyfin, and maybe a torrent server in a low-speced VM.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

• This will be an upgrade from a Raspberry Pi 4 that I'm currently running my Nextcloud NAS on
  • I'm reusing some old PC parts in this PCPartPicker link, along with a WD Red 12TB in my Nextcloud running on Raspberry Pi
  • Will be running on Ubuntu Server
  • Unknown at the moment if I should just buy a rack and put this in a rack, or just buy a generic case
  • Will not be plugged in to a display (but will use the TV for initial setup or troubleshoot if needed)
  • Storage drives will be on RAID with either ZFS or Btrfs
  • Want to make it expandable with more NAS-grade drives in the future

Just want to be sure I'm not setting my goals too high (i.e. the build can or can't handle all this).  And I'd like any form of input, which I'm hoping will help minimize the amount of money I spend on this.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

To be very clear, are you buying one of the most inefficient CPUs ever made to run a server on? 
If so, please dont. If you already have it laying around doing nothing, honestly it would be best for the chip to stay that way. With your budget of $1.5K you can easily get a chip that uses less than a third of the energy for the same or more performance. And if you're upgrading from a Pi 4, really any x86 will be better.

Are you doing GPU transcoding? If not, you can leave out the 1060 if you get a CPU with integrated graphics.

3 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

To be very clear, are you buying one of the most inefficient CPUs ever made to run a server on? 

No.  I already had it on me.

Are you doing GPU transcoding? If not, you can leave out the 1060 if you get a CPU with integrated graphics.

Still have to do more research on Jellyfin setups, but that's the goal

With your budget of $1.5K you can easily get a chip that uses less than a third of the energy for the same or more performance. And if you're upgrading from a Pi 4, really any x86 will be better.

So something like this generations' i5 or Ryzen 5?

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

Mobile devices

Just now, YamiYukiSenpai said:

No.  I already had it on me.

Still have to read up on Jellyfin, but that's the goal

So something like this generations' i5 or Ryzen 5?

OK cool, 1060 should be fine for 1080/60 if I recall correctly.

You don't have to shell out for a brand new CPU. Maybe like a 10th or 12th gen i3-i5 or Ryzen. Something DDR4, that will be superior in cost and power efficiency to DDR5 memory. And if you're buying new ram I recommend getting regular lower clocked desktop RAM, not gaming ram. 

10100F is probably best bang for the buck here.  i know these are about 50 GBP on the second hand market. It's a hyperthreaded 4 core with much more single thread grunt than anything pre-Ryzen from AMD.  you could run this off a b460 board which in this country again would set you back another 50-60 GBP on the second hand market.  

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

19 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

Budget (including currency): $1.0k - $1.5k CAD

Oh no, you can keep that 9590 on the closet where it belongs. That budget is plenty for an actual media center NAS.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-13100 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Memory Express) 
Motherboard: ASRock B660 Pro RS ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($116.82 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($53.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Storage: Western Digital Red Plus 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.99 @ Western Digital) 
Storage: Western Digital Red Plus 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.99 @ Western Digital) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($189.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX750M (2021) 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Best Buy Canada) 
Total: $1042.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-25 19:32 EST-0500

Add more HDD or a 1TB nvme SSD for ARK caching with the 500 CAD spare if you want to.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

20 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

LOL I was wondering how you got it so low, but turns out you simply used 4TB. Not an option for me.

20 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

ARK caching

Sorry. What's that?

Desktop

Mobile devices

3 hours ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

LOL I was wondering how you got it so low, but turns out you simply used 4TB. Not an option for me.

Kid named RAID:noooo-no.gif.7f39512155251a12060f2467022d52b9.gif

You could consolidate the cost sure, but the reason im going for 4 drive operations are the amount of RAID types you can run on that config, which means more flexibility for you to choose between speed, safety, and raw capacity. Yes, RAID is not a backup, but RAID is first line of defense against data loss. If you want to, you can consolidate it to 2 drives but that really limits you to RAID 1 which does give you best reliability because its perfect data mirror across as many drives as you want, but it also severely limits your capacity and speed as youre basically at the mercy of the original drive capacity.

3 hours ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

Sorry. What's that?

Oops i mean Arc caching. I keep hearing it as "ark". But yeah, its an option inside of TrueNAS Core (formerly OpenNAS) which lets you setup multi tiered caching in your NAS. This means you can allocate your faster storage medium, like an SSD, to cache the content alongside the RAM for lower access times and read speed. Theyre not required but theyre indeed nice to have if you have many users actively hitting the NAS at the same time.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, SorryClaire said:

You could consolidate the cost sure, but the reason im going for 4 drive operations are the amount of RAID types you can run on that config, which means more flexibility for you to choose between speed, safety, and raw capacity. Yes, RAID is not a backup, but RAID is first line of defense against data loss. If you want to, you can consolidate it to 2 drives but that really limits you to RAID 1 which does give you best reliability because its perfect data mirror across as many drives as you want, but it also severely limits your capacity and speed as youre basically at the mercy of the original drive capacity.

That's why I put 3 12TB for RAID 5.

Though I just learned that Btrfs RAID 5 is unusable so I might either go for ZFS or 4 12TB Red for RAID 10.

1 hour ago, SorryClaire said:

Arc caching

I found a thread about it, I think.  Might be something to consider in the future.

Desktop

Mobile devices

2 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

Though I just learned that Btrfs RAID 5 is unusable so I might either go for ZFS or 4 12TB Red for RAID 10.

Thats the stuff. Honestly i slapped those in thinking you dont have any drives currently, OP. Sorry about that.